Twitter Mums

It was really cold in November 2010 I was really heavily pregnant. I had 3 weeks till my due date and i was housebound because of the heavy snow. Insomnia had kicked in good and proper and I would spend most of my nights surfing the net on my phone, usually reading gossip, and occasionally the news.

At the time I used to use Twitter for mainly gossip and to see what the celebrities were upto. Once i’d flicked through the likes of Ashton Kutcher and Stephen Fry I’d move on back to Facebook and maybe even read the Daily Fail if I was desperate.

Then, one evening, I read a story in the papers about a girl who had very recently given birth to a baby boy and who had tweeted through most of her labour! Immediately, I went to have a nosey on Twitter and, sure enough, her timeline was filled with tweets about contractions, eating crumpets and about how cold it was outside (It’d been snowy and icy and sleety). I was about to have my own baby in a months time so I wanted to know everything about what labour was like. She made it sound quite easy and it put my mind to rest. I added her to my timeline (She was a celebrity after all!) and went about my way.

(She is called Rachael by the way… And on Twitter as @InceyWinceyMum)

Eventually I had a nosey at the people she followed and discovered something special. I’d found a whole community of online mums. Loads of them! Mums who had babies, mums who were due to have babies same time as me, mums with toddlers, working mums… It was like walking through a door to an undiscovered little treasure.

And there were blogs!! Blogs! I’d never really come across these before but people were actually blogging about their experiences of bringing up a baby, some about family life and others about topics like post natal depression. It became a very quick and very strong addiction. It couldn’t have come at a more perfect time. I gave birth to my Baby Boy mid December via C section and the next few weeks were hard. I couldn’t drive for 6 weeks. I had a very new baby in my arms, I was totally knackered and tonnes of snow meant I couldn’t even go out for a walk. Not that I felt much like it but i felt a bit trapped at the same time as feeling my life had changed. Completely. I was responsible for a baby and I didn’t have the first idea of what to do.

Tweeting other mums during those first few weeks was an absolute saviour. Why was my baby throwing up so much? What was reflux? How could you control it? How the hell do you latch a baby on?… Other mums out there, in the same boat, provided helpful suggestions based on their own experiences and it helped me from freaking out or feeling like a failure.

The absolute best thing was having other mums on Twitter during night feeds. It made me realise how little people actually sleep, mums especially. And at a given point during the night there are a bunch of new mums awake doing a night feed. Most importantly, it kept me awake during the period when baby was feeding every 2 hours.

My Twitter feed is now more real life and less celebrity. I’d much rather know about baby clothes than the latest designer shoes!

1. Jenny paulin September 30, 2011 / 7:36 am

I never realised that Rachel had been in the paper wow! I wish I had known about Twitter during my first time around night time feeding and having a baby as it’s been great second time around! I am grateful to twitter for introducing me to so many like minded people – it has really kept me company and helped me. Great post xx

• mcai7td3 September 30, 2011 / 8:40 am

I know what you mean. I wish I’d known about it through my pregnancy but I’ve love the support network I found!

2. Mum2babyinsomniac September 30, 2011 / 7:52 am

I am so happy that I discovered Twitter but I wish I has known about it before having Iyla. I used to spend the entire night on my phone looking at google trying to find out why my baby wouldn’t sleep! I would have felt a lot less alone had I been able to go on and talk with all you Twitter mums! I love it, there is always someone to talk to on there, my Facebook is boring now.People I know don’t ‘get it’, but I am addicted! X

• mcai7td3 September 30, 2011 / 8:42 am

Me too. I used to be addicted to Facebook but people hardly go on it now, so I’m hardly on it. I love Twitter!

3. Lucy at Dear Beautiful Boy September 30, 2011 / 9:12 pm

I’ve found the Twitter community, and mummy blogger community, fantastic. You can put random questions out there and there is always someone with some relevant experience or advice to share. I just wish I’d discovered it sooner, like when I was pregnant or still night feeding. I spent many nights playing solitaire and sudoku on my phone willing myself to stay awake, I’m almost positive that Twitter would have been more entertaining.

• NotMyYearOff September 30, 2011 / 10:02 pm

I discovered it just before having baby so was lucky in that sense but would have been ace to find it during pregnancy insomnia! I shall be prepared for next baby 

4. LagosMum October 1, 2011 / 3:30 pm

I used Twitter for a while and then took a break from it for over a year – during my pregnancy and V’s birth. I discovered Twitter Mums and blogging community pretty much the same way you did – but a little later – V was about 7 or 8 months old. Although I find myself wishing I’d discovered it all earlier, I’m so glad that at least I *have* found it!
    I have to add though – I’m quite happy to find out about the latest shoes as well as baby clothes 🙂 X

5. Lawrence Carrington October 1, 2011 / 10:13 pm

First time here. Excellent site. Great post.

6. Averagemummy October 2, 2011 / 12:05 am

Same as rest of you commenting, wish I’d discovered the twitter mums earlier, I’m very late S was 2! But I have to say I at times feel more community spirit & help & support from twitter mums than any of the baby groups I attended!
    Well said hun!

7. redonthehd October 2, 2011 / 3:28 am

Great site, love it . I will pass it on to others who are pregnant Keep up the good content, very educational. Good work.

8. The Boy and Me (@TheBoyandMe) October 10, 2011 / 10:01 am

I had joined twitter the year before under my husband’s insistence but I never understood it, and found it boring because none of the celebrities interacted! It wasn’t until last September/October that I started fishing around and found a few people to follow. @The_Moiderer was one of my first real-life follows, then @Mammywoo and also @Mugpi. Maybe I was starting with the Ms?

I’ve found twitter to be a saving grace and have made so many lovely, real-life friends ever since then.

9. Reluctant Housedad October 15, 2011 / 9:43 am

I’ve never followed a celebrity – I find them vacuous, tedious, self-obsessed. My Twitter timeline is totally authentic: real people with real problems – and real humour. I was totally anti-Twitter before I lost my job last year, but now it is completely integrated into my existence.

10. HELEN October 15, 2011 / 9:51 am

I too wish I’d found Twitter & blogging when I was pregnant with my 3rd, I was so bored towards the end of that pregnancy it would’ve been great to interact with others in the same position…but I’ve found them now anyway & it.’s great to chat about the toddler stage with them too. I was amazed at that whole world out there that I had never even heard of before January this year!

11. tinuke (@circusmum_) October 15, 2011 / 10:24 am

I agree, twitter and over forms of social networking definitely gives you extra support and some allies in the landmine of parenting!
    It would have been lovely to have someone to talk to during the 3am breastfeed or give advise when Princess turned 18months and learned to climb out of her cot!

12. Multiple Mummy October 15, 2011 / 12:00 pm

Yes my timeline has changed lots. Initially I started twitter just for comps and then discovered blogs and people and now friends and it really is amazing. It has been a real life line for me too! Great post. x

13. @somethingblue_2 October 15, 2011 / 1:02 pm

Twitter (and then as a by-product, blogging) has been my saviour. I barely use google any more – who needs it when you have an army of people with great advice at your fingertips?! I think that without the support of so many lovely people on Twitter I would have struggled so much more since JW was born x

14. willest October 15, 2011 / 4:50 pm

I discovered blogs when Esther and William first came home. I read every post by The Boy and Me during a couple of very tricky nights. She kept me going and then I found her and other Mummies on Twitter. I have not looked back since. Lovely to find your blog through Show Off Show Case x

15. Elaine Livingstone October 17, 2011 / 9:43 pm

Oh how I wish we had this stuff way back when, in my day you had 3 channels of tv and it went off at night. Mind with child number I could sit and read the teletext….I really think this is when these sites come into their own, knowing somebody will at least talk to you and save you going nuts