If You Bake It, They Shall Come

As Baby Boys first birthday approaches (arrrgh… How? How?), the party planning pressure is ramping up. I think this is actually going to be the theme for most of December, to be honest.

I have most of it worked out in my head.

Party number one is for 25ish, mostly finger foods, mostly kids that look crazed even as they step through my front door, piñata probably bad idea.

Party number two, for 40ish, is mostly adults, there’ll be a mix of “proper meal” and finger foods, adults that love dancing, house is not that big, I’m having visions of house getting destroyed.

I should get a crack on buying things and you’d think the above would be causing sleepless nights. I have, however, become obsessed with one thing. The cake.

I need two birthday cakes. They must be “good!”. I am not the greatest baker of big cakes. In fact, I’ve never done it, never iced one, never attempted shapes out of marzipan. Nothing. The whole idea fills me with dread and I have been thinking about it all day, every day. I have trawled through the Internet looking for inspiration on how to make a bloody Iggle Piggle cake and swung from the idea of making it myself, to buying a cake topper, to getting it made at a bakers / novelty cake maker. In my head I have become convinced the cake is the “anchor” of the party so It. Must. Be. Good.

My husband has been “helpfully” sending me pictures of the worst Iggle Piggle cakes he can find. He is not helping.

Then, yesterday, after visiting 5 bakers and having lost the will to live, I popped into a bakers in Bolton with a friend who wanted to check out wedding cakes. As I stepped in through the door my eyes immediately snapped onto a lump of blue. I peered over the rim of the box to find (cue melodic cries of “Hallelujah!”) a very good Iggle Piggle cake. He was sat in a boat with gentle waves around the boat. He wasn’t a perfect replica of Iggle Piggle but he was the best I’d seen. I wanted to grab the box and run out of the shop.

Instead, I exclaimed, “I want that one!”. I rang the OH immediately and screamed my joy down the phone. He mostly replied with questions of “are you ok??”.

SO… The cloud of death-by-baking-birthday-cake lifted as I skipped out of the shop having placed an order for an Iggle Piggle cake for one party, and a Mickey Mouse cake for the other.

So the most important thing is now sorted. Now, for the food.

1. Katie Bailey December 3, 2011 / 9:32 am

So pleased you’re all sorted. I was about to start emailing you with pics and instructions about making an iggle piggle cake!! I’d be desperately worried about my house containing 40 people. You are one brave lady!! ;0)

• Notmyyearoff December 3, 2011 / 10:48 am

You made one??? Wow!!! You are my hero.

• Katie bailey December 3, 2011 / 11:03 am

Not an iggle piggle one yet, but it wouldn’t be too hard. If you want to try it next year let me know, more than happy to help :0) xx

2. Mum2babyinsomniac December 3, 2011 / 2:11 pm

Oh my word, that is a lot of people to cook for! I had three parties but one was for babies, one was a BBQ and one was cooking for ten but that is nothing compared to what you’re doing! (sorry that’s helpful is it?!) well done on find the cake though, at least that is one less thing to worry about! X

• Notmyyearoff December 3, 2011 / 10:23 pm

The words “more than I can chew” definitely spring to mind!

3. Expat Mammy December 3, 2011 / 3:45 pm

that is a lot of work keep your head, its so easy to become sdtressedtheres something about planning a birthday party that make you crazy……….. glad you found cakes.hugs

• Notmyyearoff December 3, 2011 / 10:24 pm

I am not rocking… Yet. 🙂

4. LagosMum December 3, 2011 / 6:35 pm

Hooray for the cake! It’s such a relief to have it sorted, isn’t it? Good luck with the rest!

• Notmyyearoff December 3, 2011 / 10:23 pm

Oh yes! I was almost having nightmares with the thought of making them myself!

5. The Boy and Me (@TheBoyandMe) December 3, 2011 / 7:23 pm

I’m very pleased that you’ve bought the cake but… when’s the party? You know these things go off don’t you?

• Notmyyearoff December 3, 2011 / 8:43 pm

I think my post is a bit misleading, I ordered two cakes. If I’d bought them theyd have my sneaky teeth marks in them. 🙂

6. Alli Marshall December 4, 2011 / 7:46 am

I was exactly the same with Harry’s cake – I wanted to make his 1st one but I have limited skills & eventually after much trawling I found the perfect cake – it cost a fortune but he was worth it!
    I’m now planning the cake for soon to be 8 year old Son & he’s asked me to make it, but he wants a surprise – aaargh!!!!

• Notmyyearoff December 4, 2011 / 1:31 pm

Oh nooo really? Maybe a footy type cake thing? With goals and little people?