Going Back To Work…In A Week!

After a whole year off work I am going back. Next week. Arrrggh!! How the hell did it come around so quickly? Will I actually be able to get out of the house on time with a baby in tow? Do I still have any functioning brain cells left? I’m going to have to crowbar myself into my work clothes. How will I breathe?

These are just some of the things that have been going through my mind over the last few months.

My friends, family and Twitter friends know I’ve been back and forth about going back. I’ve been weighing up the pro’s and con’s and hoping the mental list of random pondering will help decide what I should be doing. Things like:

We could do with the money if we want to maintain our lifestyle. But, actually, what lifestyle? Since baby has come along our lifestyle consists of watching a lot of evening telly, shouting at X factor and watching the hubby play bloody Skyrim on the playstation. Could we do this for another few years? Hmmm…

I need to use my brain. Time will tell if it does still function in the way it used to but I need a bit of mental stimulation. And I really need to not hear my hubby keep saying “you’ve already told me that. Are you on repeat?”

I will miss my baby boy a lot for 3 days a week. Especially in the mornings whilst watching him play with our washing machine whilst i prepare his breakfast and waiting for the moment he hits “Play”, the spin cycle starts abruptly and he instantly jumps out of his skin and crawls for his life. Evil mummy but mahahahaha!

I won’t miss all the teething nappies. My god do they stink. Granny can have that pleasure 3 days a week.

Some weeks I will be able to “wing it” and work from home a couple of days a week. This will still mean working from my mums but means I’ll be able to play with baby during breaks and lunches.

I need to have my own money. My OH is fantastic but unfortunately 12 years of working for my own cash I am addicted to having my own income. Kerching kerching! (well, part time kerching!)

Baby Boy *still* doesn’t sleep through the night. And for the last two weeks (since his birthday) he won’t settle anywhere except in our bed from about 3am. The first few nights I was too tired to put him back but the next few he screamed till he was in between us at which point he’d instantly shut up, put his arms behind his head and doze off in a happy slumber. I’ve spent a week trying to break this habit, unsuccessfully. I have just over a week to get him fully back in his cot.

I think the first few weeks are going to be eventful, especially in the mornings, whilst I try to find some kind of routine. The only word I can think of to sum it up is Arrrrrghhhh!

1. DevonVix January 3, 2012 / 4:45 pm

Good luck!! I don’t think I’d cope very well with leaving Paige, but luckily I get to work from home for a bit. I’m sure in a few weeks you’ll have it mastered and will be enjoying adult conversation! x

• Notmyyearoff January 3, 2012 / 10:47 pm

Thanks!! Once I’m settled and up to speed I’m hoping I can work from home a lot too but that’s the theory.

2. The Boy and Me (@TheBoyandMe) January 3, 2012 / 7:03 pm

The first few days you’ll be in a whirlwind and bombarded with everything. You’ll wonder how you ever did that job or kept up with that pace. I’ll be honest and say that with me the first week was fine but I got upset up until the end of the first month. Good luck!

• Notmyyearoff January 3, 2012 / 10:46 pm

I feel like I’ve changed a lot this year and my career isn’t my top priority anymore so I think I’ll be thinking just that; how the heck did i do it all before? Eek!

3. Averagemummy January 3, 2012 / 10:15 pm

Good luck! I’ve been back 3 days for 2.5 yrs now, and it’s not that it gets easier, but you get into a routine. I’m still NEVER on time (you could use my trick & drop your son off in pj’s to his grans, with clothes in a bag)
    I agree with everything TBAM says about the pace/how did I ever do this job- I still have those days – mainly when I’m attempting it on 3 hrs sleep (sleep- who needs sleep??) BUT the banter and support of my colleagues is amazing!
    I’ll be sending you lots of good luck vibes xx

• Notmyyearoff January 3, 2012 / 10:43 pm

Aww thanks Mrs. That means a lot! The pj thing is exactly what I was thinking 🙂 I’m kind of hoping I can just strap him (sleeping) into his car seat and off we go. Then granny can do brekkie! That’s the theory anyway 🙂

4. janeblackmore January 3, 2012 / 10:32 pm

welcome new BOTTOM!

You’ll be fine, work can be a lovely relaxing place!

Good luck mrs x

• Notmyyearoff January 3, 2012 / 10:44 pm

Thanks!! I’m hoping it’s an easy transition. A part of me is looking forward to it!

5. jenny Paulin January 3, 2012 / 11:42 pm

i do not envy you in the slightest – and I hope you will manage ok. Well i know you will cope – I mean you have had a baby and thats the hardest job ever at times! good luck and i hope he starts sleeping back in his own bed again soon for the entire night x

6. Mum2babyinsomniac January 4, 2012 / 6:46 pm

Good luck! I do miss having my own money so much. I also think that I would appreciate my time with Iyla if I wasn’t with her every day. I think there are pluses and negatives with both options but I’m sure you will be absolutely fine! X