Bloody Early Starts

When I was on maternity leave I imagined and worried about what my morning routine with a baby would be like. I thought if I timed it and planned well enough we’d both, as parents, potter out the house calmly, in the early morning sunshine, ready to start the working day.

Over this last month I’ve realised the reality is somewhat different.

The Other half and I are usually woken with a start by an alarm clock that seems to go off earlier and earlier each morning. We then proceed to clamber out silently with one or both eyes bloodshot from the gazillion wake ups during the night and tip toe around in mad mute frenzy trying not to wake the baby whilst we at least make ourselves presentable.

Baby Z usually wakes by one of us hissing to the other and demands to be freed from the confines of his cot. Once out he, luckily for us, entertains himself by pulling every item of clothing off the rails and tasting them.

Getting inside our cars involves more running around trying to defrost and heat them up, at which point there’s a lot of shouty reminders being yelled at each other…

“The blinds! Don’t forget the blinds!”
“Where’s the baby! Can you stick the baby in the car?”
“Did you lock up??”
“Did you put the alarm on??”

You get the picture.

Once we’re both inside our respective cars I wait for the Other half to set off and heave a sigh of relief as we set off too.

Driving down the road in the dark I wonder if our neighbours may be stood grumpily at their windows from being woken from the daily racket we seem to make.

I don’t ponder for long as I see a tall slim figure in the shape of my Other Half running past my car. I stop the car and shout… “Whats happened?!!”

“I forgot my laptop!”

I set off again and make a mental note that our morning routine needs a bit or urgent attention.

1. Mum2Four February 9, 2012 / 9:21 pm

Mornings are never nice!
    It has taken us years of practice to perfect our morning routine; but we got there in the end – it took us 4 children & 12 years 🙂
    Sounds like you are making good progress though.

• Notmyyearoff February 11, 2012 / 4:12 am

So I have about 11 years to go then? 😉

• Notmyyearoff February 11, 2012 / 4:11 am

Oh god, isn’t it just!

2. Expat Mammy February 9, 2012 / 10:56 pm

Oh your poor things, i really dont think I could do it, your a better woman than me

3. Jennypaulin @ mummy mishaps February 10, 2012 / 6:31 am

This is why I marvel at mums at return to work with children! I struggle to be out of the Ouse jus to go to the park or go somewhere in the car and this isn’t needing to be done for a work start deadline! I think you do brilliantly! Xx

• Notmyyearoff February 11, 2012 / 4:10 am

I really miss the days of not having to worry if we’ll get out of the house on time. Gimme E4 in the morning any day!

4. Averagemummy February 10, 2012 / 7:56 pm

This is why S gets dropped off in pj’s without having had breakfast & I dog makeup when I get to work! On my days I revel in staying in pjs until at least 10!

• Averagemummy February 10, 2012 / 7:57 pm

Dog makeup? *do my

• Notmyyearoff February 11, 2012 / 4:09 am

I am becoming the same. At first I got up at 6am and was very organised for first few days. Now, for those extra 5 minutes, I do my make up in the car and don’t even contemplate brekkie!

5. LagosMum February 10, 2012 / 11:26 pm

I hate having to get ready in a rush in the mornings. When teaching I had to be up at 5.30 every morning! So glad I don’t have to do that anymore.

• Notmyyearoff February 11, 2012 / 4:08 am

Wow! What time does school start? Getting up at 6.30am is bad enough. I feel very sorry for myself at that time!

6. Mum2babyinsomniac February 11, 2012 / 11:11 am

I sill haven’t ever needed to be anywhere on time in the morning! I hope I never need to be now too! X