The Da Da!

Way back a few months ago I gleefully wrote about how Baby Zs first word was “Mamama“. I was over soo over the moon and walked around like the proud mummy I was. I told anyone that listened and it was my opener to every conversation for days. Good times…

Well, fast forward a couple of months and things are not as they were. It seems someone has kidnapped my child and erased his memory. He no longer says “Mamama”. No matter how much I try!

His favourite word these days is…”Da Da!”, said with such oomph and vigour. His little face lights up like he is recalling the image of his Daddy’s face at that very instant. Any time I try to get him to say “mama” he looks at me blankly. Sometimes I swear I even catch a glimpse of him looking at me like “oh she’s off again”, and possibly an eye roll, and he shimmies down from my lap quickly and toddles off for safety.

And not only that! But he even points to his “Da Da!”.

(The best is when he hears “Da Da!” has come home from work. He stops in his tracks when he hears the car pull up on our drive and drops whatever toy is in his hand. Then, with sheer baby excitement, he crawls as fast as he can to the living room door and waits, bum parked on the floor, pointing, for “Da Da!” to walk in and pick him up).

His other favourite word is “Iiiiiight” (Light). Again, with equal amount of enthusiasm and full pointing at any light he happens to see.

So. In summary… The word pecking order these days seems to go..

1. “Da Da!”
2. “iiiiiiight!”
3. Mamama

Huh.

1. Expat Mammy February 7, 2012 / 10:26 am

Everything in our house in dada even baby jake is baby dada

• Notmyyearoff February 11, 2012 / 12:11 pm

HHa aww that’s cute!

2. The Boy and Me (@TheBoyandMe) February 7, 2012 / 10:54 am

Oh bless him! Maybe he doesn’t call you because he sees you as an extension of himself, normally the reason for the onset of separation anxiety too.

• Notmyyearoff February 11, 2012 / 12:12 pm

The extension bit sounds lovely doesn’t it? I think you’re right. Its so cute watching him get so excited though!

3. LagosMum February 7, 2012 / 2:00 pm

Awww! So cute 🙂
    V says ‘mama’ and ‘papa’ for everything. Point to a lion and ask, ‘what’s this, vinay?’ He answers, ‘mama’. Great.

• Notmyyearoff February 11, 2012 / 12:13 pm

Hehe, maybe it’s the beautiful mane?

4. Mum2babyinsomniac February 7, 2012 / 3:38 pm

Iyla only learnt that I was mummy last week! She has been saying daddy for months! Only problem now is she calls me everytime I’m out the room! He will do it! X

• Notmyyearoff February 11, 2012 / 12:13 pm

Ahh “mama get in here!”. That’s really cute!

5. Averagemummy February 7, 2012 / 4:47 pm

S’s only words for months was ‘ball’ and ‘bubble’- at least that’s what it sounded like. The mama will return! X

6. @mummydaddyme February 7, 2012 / 8:14 pm

OH my goodness, this is exactly the same as us- Mads says dadadadadadada all the time but never a mama unless she is tired. If you say wheres dada she says it but if you ask where’s mama she just says dada!

Annoying!

7. jenny Paulin February 7, 2012 / 9:00 pm

hee hee i wouldn’t take it personally its just that ‘dada’s easier to say than ‘mama’ and he sees you a lot more so i guess he doesn’t feel the need to get so excited! Burton didn’t say mama until he was about 2!! he called daddy ‘rara’ for ages around the age of 2 aswell!! xx