Going to Britmums Live

Britmums Live! I finally went!

I’ve been looking forward to it for months (and been scared witless at the same time!). I could only make the Saturday but, after a bit of a wild goose chase trying to find the venue, got there in one piece all keen and excited. That disappeared completely as I entered the Brewery and was met by a sea of people. I didn’t have a buddy as such to go with so initially felt completely overwhelmed and wasn’t sure what to do with myself. I ended up escaping to the main events room, meeting the lovely Sew scrumptious and calming down. Phew… This might not be so bad after all.

The day still hasn’t quite registered in any logical kind of order in my head but these are my highlights, things I discovered and thoughts still buzzing round my head:

The Good, Bad and Random Bits…

Sarah Brown is excellent. I loved her manner and the way she presents so naturally. I was even more impressed when she confessed it is something she was terrified of doing to the point of fainting the first time she did it.

It was so surreal to meet people who knew so much about you (and vice versa) despite never having met!

People actually read my blog. I also know this from looking at my stats (duh!), but it’s kind of reassuring to know you’re not sending your blog out to a black hole in the blogging universe!

I spent most of my time staring at people’s chests (at their name tags) trying to figure out who they were. Then tried to throw my arms around them if I knew them. Thankfully no one ran off screaming.

The sessions were really useful but I found in some cases they were rushed due to the allocated time. It meant Q&A was sometimes cut very short or just not possible. Bloggers were really keen with hands shooting up in the air as soon as it finished.

It was really overwhelming at times but I think It was a combination of a busy agenda, being completely new to blogging events and trying to say hello to everyone

They don’t know it but I used a few bloggers as my comfort blanket. So thank you TheBoyandMe, JennyPaulin and Sarah James from aPartyofSeven. They are absolutely amazing, friendly and great bloggers.

I was completely in awe meeting two particular bloggers and nervous approaching them. I was really pleased to find they are just like their blog… Bubbly, full of character and with brilliant personalities.

I found in most cases that people I love on Twitter are the same in real life. I only had one meeting where I’ve re-evaluated what I think of them.

MumOnTheBrink looks amazing for someone with a newborn (I forgot to tell her!). Even about 3 months post baby I looked like I’d gone ten rounds in a boxing ring.

I was really glad to finally meet Dia from @lagosmum. I was nattering on to someone about looking for her and suddenly spotted her within inches of me. Cue shouts of hello and hugs.

I think Dawn Brown could make anything tax related sound interesting. She really knows her stuff and gave some excellent advice.

I want to keep wittering on about individual bloggers but I wont! I’ll just say that it’s given me a lot more courage to go to future events. Yes there are cliques and some people just don’t want to be approached, but you can sense this a mile off and politely keep away. It mostly worked for me.

Don’t think wearing mid heels is ok if you are coming all the way from the North West. By the end of the day your legs will ache. I wish I’d worn my trainers!

1. @babberblog June 25, 2012 / 1:09 pm

Sounds like you had a pretty good time 🙂

I reckon by the time I’ve read everyone’s posts about it I’ll feel pretty much like I went, when in fact I was sat at home twiddling my thumbs!

• notmyyearoff June 25, 2012 / 5:53 pm

Did you not fancy it? It was my first time and I have to admit I was in two minds about going for months. I’m really glad I did just to meet the bloggers. I’m not sure if I’ll become a blogger event addict but its definitely worth going to at least one!

2. Steph (@imcountingufoz) June 25, 2012 / 2:09 pm

I LOVED the social aspect of it all. I got to hang out with my unashamed girl-crush Alice Harold all weekend and she’s JUST as lovely as I knew she’d be. I really feel like I’ve made some friends through BML.

• notmyyearoff June 25, 2012 / 5:50 pm

That was my favourite bit too. I just loved meeting everyone and regret not meeting some I really wanted to.

• notmyyearoff June 26, 2012 / 10:26 pm

I never got to meet her but she does seem lovely on Twitter. I’ll have to come find you next time! 🙂

3. mummydaddyme June 25, 2012 / 8:56 pm

It was lovely to meet you hun, however briefly. I can’t believe that I didn’t recognise you! Hopefully we will all go to another event soon and we will be able to chat properly. xx

• Notmyyearoff June 27, 2012 / 9:41 pm

Likewise it was lovely to finally meet you but I wish we’d had chance to have a proper chat. Hopefully we’ll meet again soon!

4. Sarah james (@apartyofseven) June 25, 2012 / 9:34 pm

thanks for the mention lovely 🙂 it was a pleasure to see you there. I agree with you about the timings too. It did seem a bit rushed and the cliques..yes id agree with that to. But you have to straighten your back and realise this isnt the playground and we are all so past that (even if they are not). Hopefully see you soon. hugs to your sweet boy
    xx

• Notmyyearoff June 27, 2012 / 9:42 pm

Very true!! Hopefully see you very soon!!

5. Jenny paulin June 26, 2012 / 6:56 am

Awww thanks lovely you were as lovely as I imagined too! I didn’t meet anyone , I don’t think, who were of offish luckily. The social,side was good fun the hub was a bit intimidating when you found yourself on your own. I was never quite sure what to do with myself!
    Glad you went and I met you at last xx

• notmyyearoff June 26, 2012 / 10:27 pm

Likewise v glad I finally met you. It’s a shame people don’t live closer. These events are so rare.

6. stephstwogirls June 28, 2012 / 10:38 am

Sad I didn’t get to meet you, but I agree, it’s all just so crazy there isn’t it! I did arrange to meet someone beforehand, which REALLY helped, but then again it’s difficult to let go of the security blanket once you’re in! Someone has suggested Speed-meeting for bloggers at the next one; I reckon that’s a brilliant idea! Glad you enjoyed it x

7. TheBoyandMe July 1, 2012 / 10:20 pm

It was fantastic to meet you, you are as lovely and as funny as you are on your blog. And if it helps, Jenny Paulin was my security blanket too!