One Very Sleepless Night

I started my blog many moons ago now when Little Z was about 5 months old. The main reason I started it was because I was so sleep deprived I found I was completely exhausted all the time had no positive memories of him and all I focusing on was the amount of sleep I wasn’t getting. It was one of the best things I ever did and I now have about 300 posts worth of memories.

I’ve always been slightly sad though that I didn’t remember that much of his first 4 months. Until the other day, that is!

Some lovely person on Twitter mentioned that you could download your entire Twitter archive. Little Z coming along also marked the start of a major Twitter addiction so I was completely ecstatic and went off to have a read of a blow by blow account of Little Z’s first days and weeks on earth.

With all the brand new babies and sleep deprived mummies in my timeline I’ve been somewhat reminiscing about my own initial experiences of having a newborn. Yes, through very very thick glassed rose tinted spectacles.

I remember those first 3 weeks. I was staying at my mums because our heating had packed up. I was completely hormonal and crying at things like Shameless on the TV and completely exhausted because Little Z was waking up every 2 hours. 2 hours! After about 2 weeks of the same relentless cycle I was starting to go crazy and I could have made a massive wage as an extra in a zombie movie.

I was convinced I had given birth to a nocturnal child who would just want to play through the night by coo-ing and waving his arms around and nothing would get him back to sleep.

One particular night he was really unsettled and just cried and cried. He wasn’t hungry and he didn’t have a dirty nappy so I rocked him for 2 hours straight and relayed the length of his crying to my fellow Twitter mummies.

There was just fussing…and crying

And fussing…and crying.

After what felt like the night of no end I had a “brainwave”. I remembered he loved to be placed on the changing mat.

I placed him on it and he instantly shut up. The silence was amazing. He was still wide awake but at least he wasn’t crying anymore. Out of sheer exhaustion I placed the changing mat next to me in a the double bed and was highly tempted to just let him sleep on it next to me. Just so that I could have maybe 2 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

After about 5 minutes I snapped out of thinking this may be a good idea and rocked him back to sleep. And I think I ended up getting about 3 hours unbroken sleep that particular night. But it was ok, because for some reason, at the time I thought ALL babies slept through at 6 weeks. So I only had another 4 weeks maximum of sleepless nights to go.

Ahh…to be young and stupid again.

Sleepless Night

flashbackbadge1

1. Sarah MumofThree World March 1, 2013 / 7:02 am

How good to get your memories back, even of tough times. I really wish I’d started my blog when my kids were younger so I could have recorded more memories. Photos help to jog the memory, but not of sleepless nights!

• Notmyyearoff March 6, 2013 / 8:36 am

It is a good thing to download – although its fairly massive!

2. Cheryl March 1, 2013 / 9:30 am

Oh wow – I didn’t realise you could download your twitter archive. What a good idea! The first few weeks with a newborn are hard aren’t they? I’m amazed I ever got through them sometimes.

• Notmyyearoff March 6, 2013 / 8:38 am

Yeah – I think its the biggest shock of having a baby, especially for the first time.

3. TheBoyandMe March 1, 2013 / 9:43 am

I need to do this over the weekend but with nearly 130,000 tweets to download it’s going to take some time!

You should enter this into Jenny and Lauren’s Flashback Friday linky!

• Notmyyearoff March 6, 2013 / 8:38 am

Thats a lot! I still haven’t got past about January 2011 🙂

4. LauraCYMFT March 1, 2013 / 10:53 am

Wow, that is cool that you can download your tweets! Blogging etc are so good for recording those memories that often get lost in the lack of sleep. I don’t miss those sleepless days although, it would be nice to have a little baby again.

• Notmyyearoff March 6, 2013 / 8:39 am

Me either…but I am starting to look at newborns and thinking how cute they are! 🙂

5. Hayley @hayleyfromhome March 1, 2013 / 2:35 pm

I think blogs are so great for preserving all those memories but I didn’t start mine until my boy was one. I can still remember the horror of the sleepless nights though! All seems so surreal looking back, it’s cool you can download your tweets though, must have brought it all back!

• Notmyyearoff March 6, 2013 / 8:39 am

Made me giggle a bit to realise how naive I was!

6. NInja cat March 1, 2013 / 5:00 pm

OOOh what a good idea with the sleeping mat I’ll tell my colleague that she gives birth in 2 months time.

7. pobbingalong March 1, 2013 / 8:25 pm

This made me chuckle. How things change! I too thought all babies slept through at 6 weeks…ah the magic six weeks!!!! I wish. What a lovely lot of memories you’ve built up x

• Notmyyearoff March 6, 2013 / 8:41 am

If only they did suddenly start sleeping through at 6 weeks huh? 🙂

8. Coombemill - Fiona March 1, 2013 / 9:09 pm

If we were born with too much wisdom we might never have children!

• Notmyyearoff March 1, 2013 / 9:13 pm

Ahhhh very wide words. So true!

• Notmyyearoff March 1, 2013 / 9:13 pm

Oops I mean wise words….not wide words!

9. Mrs Darling March 1, 2013 / 9:25 pm

Aww, it is good to remember, even those times, it’s amazing how quickly we forget the bad bits but it must be tied into that massive childbirth conspiracy to make us do it again! Still tonight I’m so tired it’s making me remember those early days and feel glad we are out of that phase 🙂

• Notmyyearoff March 6, 2013 / 8:42 am

I know – we must all have a broody hormone that triggers as soon as our babies get a bit older!

10. Jaime Oliver March 1, 2013 / 9:53 pm

I was lucky and Joshua was a good sleeper but I have a feeling that is going to come back to bite me on the arse soon as he has had a couple of nights recently that he has been up all night … OMG i am so going to pay!

• Notmyyearoff March 6, 2013 / 8:43 am

Hah noooooo – let him be a sleeper, let him be a sleeper!

11. jenny paulin March 2, 2013 / 12:12 am

i so wish i had my blog when i first had Burton because it is amazing how easily and how much you forget. and i wish also i had known about twitter too because of the support and companionship it could have given me back then.
    its hard to believe that we were able to survive on such little sleep for such a long time isnt it? dont miss all that.
    what a lovely surprise for you to have found all those tweets – such special memories to relive xx

thanks for linking up x

• Notmyyearoff March 6, 2013 / 8:44 am

I know! I always wish I’d found twitter whilst I was going through pregnancy insomnia!

12. Sonya Cisco March 2, 2013 / 8:39 am

Aww what fab memories to rediscover! I downloaded mine too now, but havent looked yet!

• Notmyyearoff March 6, 2013 / 8:44 am

Ooh its very addictive – I had to stop myself after a couple of hours!

13. Lynn @ more4mums March 2, 2013 / 10:14 am

The sleepless nights, I remember thinking “it can’t be that bad can it ? ” before giving birth. Nothing prepares you for the sleep deprived fog. My girls are now at school and I wish I had blogged in those days – twitter didn’t even exist – can you belive that ? Seems impossible now !

• Notmyyearoff March 6, 2013 / 8:46 am

My friend has children slightly older than my boy and she tells me she used to just read newspapers through the night!

14. Michelle | The American Resident March 2, 2013 / 10:55 am

When I heard you could download your Twitter archive I didn’t really think much about it, but reading this post I can see how amazing it would be! My first few months were also a blur so having a memory prompt like this would have been wonderful.

• Notmyyearoff March 6, 2013 / 8:47 am

I think I can remember past 5 months properly but before that its just one big blur!

15. farfromhomemama March 2, 2013 / 1:38 pm

You are wonderful! I can’t believe you were counting down until the 6 week mark when Z would miraculously sleep through the night. That’s just so delightfully funny. I’m not sure about downloading my twitter stream. It might make me realise exactly how many hours I spend on it and how much nonsense I talk.

• Notmyyearoff March 6, 2013 / 8:47 am

Yes – can you believe it? I thought they all somehow settled around that mark. It didn’t happen until about 18 months after that!!

16. Mummy Zen March 2, 2013 / 2:33 pm

It’s so easy to forget those first memories and yet so lovely to look back on and see how far you’ve come!

• Notmyyearoff March 6, 2013 / 10:52 am

It is – I think I used to be terrified every time he wriggled a bit!

17. catherine prescott March 2, 2013 / 5:13 pm

Ha ha! I think zombie movies should be entirely cast by new mothers 🙂

18. Liska (@NewMumOnline) March 2, 2013 / 9:43 pm

I remember those days too.

The majority of babies are lively at night in those early days.

Great you got your archive xx

• Notmyyearoff March 6, 2013 / 10:52 am

He was like a little night owl always wanting to play!

19. Verily Victoria Vocalises March 2, 2013 / 10:18 pm

What a really lovely post :). I have to say that I didn’t know that about Twitter – very useful. I remember I used to watch ‘Dancing on Ice’ on sleepless nights with Grace. She gone on to do ice skating lessons!!

20. Charlotte March 4, 2013 / 8:24 am

I started my blog when Bob was about 8 months as it gave me something to do when she was up all night. Wish I’d got a record of the early days too. x x

21. Pinkoddy March 4, 2013 / 11:37 am

I didn’t know that you could download your twitter archive either!
    Sleep – I’m still waiting for the time when we sleep all night every night lol.
    It’s amazing when you discover little things to stop them crying though isn’t it.

22. Notmyyearoff March 6, 2013 / 10:54 am

Oh sleeping every night would be bliss – Z does do it….if he’s in our bed!!! 🙂

23. Erica Price March 6, 2013 / 2:46 pm

A great way to revisit those early month. I never cease to be amazed how many outright lies are in baby books about feeding schedules and sleeping through.

24. Lauren March 6, 2013 / 7:00 pm

Ahhhh sleepless nights, how I remember those. I can’t remember when I last had one….oh yes! Last night.
    Harry still wakes in the night, only for milk but still it’s horrible having broken sleep. I always head to Twitter and Facebook when I’m feeding him.
    The change mat was a great idea, Harry loved his too.

25. inside-true-blood-blog.com May 18, 2013 / 6:52 pm

Pretty element of content. I simply stumbled upon your website and
    in accession capital to assert that I get actually loved account your weblog posts.
    Any way I will be subscribing for your augment or even I
    success you get admission to persistently quickly.

Also visit my web page: inside-true-blood-blog.com

26. Free Printable Bridal Shower Invites June 27, 2013 / 5:22 pm

Nice blog here! Also your website loads up very
    fast! What host are you using? Can I get your affiliate
    link to your host? I wish my web site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

27. financial help July 12, 2013 / 4:45 am

Hi, I check your new stuff regularly. Your writing style is witty, keep up the good work!

28. co to jest zielona kawa January 27, 2015 / 12:06 pm

I found your blog site on google and test a couple of of your early posts.

Proceed to keep up the excellent operate. I simply
    additional up your RSS feed to my MSN Information Reader.
    Seeking ahead to reading more from you in a while!…
    co to jest zielona kawa recently posted…co to jest zielona kawaMy Profile