Snowman Parenting

During the week when the UK came to a standstill with our humoungous, massive, cold, icy, disastrous, motorway halting one inch of snow, Little Z and I made the most of it and built a very cool looking snowman. Well, I buoilt it all whilst my hands threatened to fall off in the cold and he got a bit bored and stood watching me from the window as I grafted and slipped and slid all over the place. After a lot of carrying snow about, trying to find the perfect little stones for his smile and buttons and one pair of 3D glasses, our amazing snowman was complete.

Little Z was quite taken with it for a few days and would run to the conservatory doors greeting it with a very jovial “Hello Snowman!!” each morning. So when it started getting warmer I did wonder how I would explain a melting snowman to a 2 year old.

It was a gradual process and unfortunately the day came when he came running to me and shouted…

“LOOK! What happened???!”

I followed his very concerned little self to look in the garden and, to my horror, saw that the snowman’s head had fallen off in the night. Still being too young to accept the concept of a headless snowman, I quickly plonked his head firmly back onto his shoulders and, thankfully, everything was right in our snowy world again just for a little bit longer.

The day did however come when Little Z woke to a completely clean garden. Sun beaming. No snow and no snowman in sight.

“Mummy? Where’s Snowman?“

Obviously it would be a bit too mean to explain he had melted so I said what any other mum would say:

“Snowmans gone home to his mummy!”

“Ohhh..Okay”

Phew. He seemed to accept it, albeit a bit sadly. He had enjoyed waving to the snowman each morning and he was quite impressive, even if I say so myself.

But, it seems, he has been pondering how a snowman with no legs could have escaped to such a distance and he has his own little theory. Anytime you ask him where the snowman is, his little brow furrows in calculating thought for a few of seconds before he firmly points and concludes…

“He’s in THERE!!”

He is convinced the snowman is in the neighbour’s garden. I do correct him and tell him I am certain he has gone home to his mummy and he listens …but now it seems he does it with a certain level of suspicion.
Then the other day I had a little brainwave. Realising how high in esteem he regards the snowman I took full advantage during a little tantrum where he wanted sweeties instead of lunch.
“Ahh but the snowman took all the sweeties home when he went to his mummy”

Silence

It worked. Wow….

So the past couple of weeks, we have been using the snowman a lot in some of our parenting
So far, he has taken the sweets and the crisps and has also encouraged him to eat more lunch or snowman would get sad.
He also took his dummies a couple of times but unfortunately mummy and daddy didn’t hide them well enough so he’s sussed that one. Damn!

We will definitely remember to thank the snowman in our acceptance of the parent of the year award.

Snowman

Post Comment Love

1. older mum in a muddle February 18, 2013 / 8:14 am

LOL. That planted a smile on my face – how cunning and clever of you, and what most parents would do, good on you for spotting the opportunity!

2. Sonya Cisco February 18, 2013 / 10:09 am

I think you should get a snowy postcard and send it from the snowman! 🙂

3. Sarah MumofThree World February 18, 2013 / 2:06 pm

Brilliant! I love this post. You have to use whatever parenting technique works to navigate the toddler years! Enjoy it while it lasts 🙂

• Notmyyearoff February 19, 2013 / 9:19 am

Haha yes!! “Loving the sun, lost lots of weight…wish you were here!”

4. WallyMummy February 19, 2013 / 8:24 am

lol – what a cheeky snowman 😉 I shall remember all these little tips when mine comes of age! We missed the snow here – don’t know if I’m glad or not about that… a thin sputtering and then it was gone! boring really… 😉 x Came to you through the Wot so Funee linky x

5. Verily Victoria Vocalises February 19, 2013 / 9:05 am

This will now become a joke of years to come – just think what fun you can have with his teenage friends and the threat of the snowman! ;). Great idea on using the snowman as a get-out! 🙂 x

6. Actually Mummy February 20, 2013 / 8:43 pm

That is one badass snowman, stealing a young boy’s sweeties like that! 😉

7. TheBoyandMe February 20, 2013 / 11:40 pm

That is genius! We told The Boy that the snowman lives with Father Christmas.

8. Gill Crawshaw February 23, 2013 / 4:09 pm

Such a good idea! I’m taking a mental note for years to come. And just imagine the fun you can have mentioning this in years to come too – when the first girlfriend comes round, in wedding speeches… Found you via Britmums, so hello 🙂

9. Scottish Mum May 24, 2013 / 12:53 pm

I think the John Lewis snowman got around easily enough with no legs, so I think your one would be ok to.

10. Anne May 24, 2013 / 1:28 pm

he he he I love it, blame it on the snowman! #PoCoLo

11. Jess May 24, 2013 / 5:09 pm

And a new form of parenting is born….snowman parenting…I feel this could catch on and you could become the newest parenting guru…get the E book wrote! #pocolo

12. Mummy of Two May 24, 2013 / 7:47 pm

Great idea 🙂 So hard to explain things sometimes isn’t it!

13. Jaime Oliver May 24, 2013 / 10:31 pm

I do hope we dont get any more snow, although after todays weather i wouldnt be surprised! x

14. Charly Dove May 25, 2013 / 12:38 am

Snowmen clearly don’t need legs – the John Lewis snowman got along just fine, went shopping and everything! Heading over from #PoCoLo

15. Verily Victoria Vocalises May 25, 2013 / 3:36 pm

Are you still using the Snowman for parenting?! I can remember reading this post at the time and enjoying the fact that you will be able to use it against him! Thank you for linking to PoCoLo xx

16. Xandi | The Mummy Scripts May 25, 2013 / 8:19 pm

Cunning! I love it. We had a snowman too – Roger – who melted and got three little ones very confused. I really should have had your brilliant brainwave! Move over Santa x