Youth

Last week my parents announced something really shocking. They wanted to completely redecorate my old room. They gently requested I go through my old stuff and take whatever I wanted so that they could throw the rest away or give it to charity.

I knew it would come one day and whilst I haven’t lived there for years I was kind of treating my old room as storage space.

So I reluctantly sat in my old room one day going through all my old text books, note books and old birthday cards, getting lost in old memories and of times gone by.

I came across one particular very old book that took me back to my teens.

When I was a youthful teen I didn’t really know what I wanted to do career wise. I knew I wanted to do either something medical or something with computers. I wanted to be either a Paediatrician or someone that worked within the big bad world of business. I also had a vague plan that I’d like to be married by my very very early 20s and have 3 children by the time I was 30.

By the time I reached college I was heavily leaning towards computing and one fateful day in A Level Maths I decided I absolutely hated the subject. I could of course drop it and do English Lit instead. But I knew if I did that I was making a big decision; I would be deciding to do Computing at university once and for all.

It wasn’t something I lost sleep over. I loved computers and eventually decided that’s what I wanted to do.

I got into my uni of choice and it led me to meeting the OH who I eventually married. My life plan turned out somewhat different to what I expected though. I only have the one child and got married in my very late 20s. Looking back I wouldn’t change anything though. I’m a strong believer in “what’s meant to be”.

It turned out Maths found me in the end. I ended up having to do modules on both algebra and statistics as part of my degree.

And the book that brought back all the memories?

It was this fabulous thing….

image

TheGallery

1. playspotter April 17, 2013 / 7:56 am

Great post – and believe it or not I had a similar experience recently clearing out my old books to sell on ebay – sadly my ‘Algorithms in C++’ by Robert Sedgewick didn’t sell after the week so it went to the charity shop!

• Notmyyearoff April 17, 2013 / 8:00 am

Blimey I’m pretty sure I have that book somewhere upstairs too!

2. SaveEveryStep - family stories past and present April 17, 2013 / 8:57 am

Love it when the gallery is full of nostalgia!! It makes me feel like I’m not alone!!!

• Notmyyearoff April 20, 2013 / 6:31 pm

I know – I’ve loved all the youthful pics this week πŸ™‚

3. Louise April 17, 2013 / 8:55 am

That looks like clever stuff! I did some computer programming but have never been strong at maths so didn’t stick with it. Books bring back some great memories though don’t they. xx

• Notmyyearoff April 20, 2013 / 6:31 pm

I used to hate all the statistics and deviation bits – but I don’t miss any of it very much, I have to admit!

4. Mother Goutte April 17, 2013 / 9:16 am

I believe in what’s meant to be too. Life plans often turn our very differently than what we imagined!

• Notmyyearoff April 20, 2013 / 6:32 pm

Definitely – at the time we were in such a rush to grow up too and see “where we’d be in 5 years time”

5. The Mini Mes and Me April 17, 2013 / 9:21 am

What’s meant to be will always find a way is a fav quote of mine.
    I really need to sort through my bits in my parents loft! X

• Notmyyearoff April 20, 2013 / 6:32 pm

Its a very hard thing sometimes to not meddle though, I have done that plenty of times πŸ™‚

6. Sarah MumofThree World April 17, 2013 / 9:42 am

That book looks so boring! But it’s amazing how these things all work out as they are meant to be. Not many people are married in their early 20s or have three kids by the time they’re 30 these days. Not people with reasonable careers anyway! Damned inconsiderate of your parents to clear your room out πŸ˜‰ It’s like they think you’re all grown up or something!

• Notmyyearoff April 20, 2013 / 6:36 pm

It was SOOOOOOOO boring and I have about 20 others too. I’m not sure now how I got through it all and how I’ve amazingly forgotten absolutely everything!

7. LauraCYMFT April 17, 2013 / 11:09 am

I love going through old stuff and recalling memories. That book looks like it would give me a sore head though. I’m not a math person even though I work with money LOL.

• Notmyyearoff April 20, 2013 / 6:37 pm

I am so glad we have Excel to do it all for us now. I still use my fingers to multiply!

8. Susan Mann April 17, 2013 / 12:35 pm

A lovely nostalgic post. I have that book too. So many memories x

• Notmyyearoff April 20, 2013 / 6:38 pm

I completely forgot I even had it until I went through all my stuff. Its going to charity now

9. Katie @mummydaddyme April 17, 2013 / 1:22 pm

I love this post. I love thinking about memories and fate. It definitely sometimes feels like things are meant to be. x

• Notmyyearoff April 20, 2013 / 6:39 pm

It does – its sometimes a very hard journey but always mostly nice to look back on

10. Jacq April 17, 2013 / 1:42 pm

My Dh would probably love that book. I’m lost after ‘data’!

• Notmyyearoff April 20, 2013 / 6:39 pm

Haha – I can’t even believe I sat through those lectures awake!

11. A Patchwork Life April 17, 2013 / 6:13 pm

Lovely post. Best not to have regrets, but wonder sometimes what path I’d have taken if I’d opted for different subjects. I was going to do sciences and then switched to fashion and Art, before changing to something else…God, I must have been a nightmare! x

• Notmyyearoff April 20, 2013 / 6:41 pm

I think that too = but then I’d never have met my OH and life would be completely different I think!

12. Kelloggsville April 17, 2013 / 9:43 pm

I always loved them too, I always wonder how I would have ended up if I had made plans instead of just falling into this career but actually it would probably have been the same. Odd feelings clearing out the old room, remember it well.

• Notmyyearoff April 20, 2013 / 6:43 pm

I still have my old wardobe to go…I think that may just involve feelings of cringing!

13. Jaime Oliver April 17, 2013 / 8:51 pm

i love your take on Youth! i so wish i had knuckled down in school i was rubbish and my only ambition was to get out of it as soon as possible!

• Notmyyearoff April 20, 2013 / 6:42 pm

I got pulled into line many a time by people I absolutely hated at the time. One threatened to chuck me out if I remember….god, I was not good!

14. Lous Lake Views April 17, 2013 / 9:56 pm

Lovely story and funny how something as ordinary as a book can spark such vivid memories. I’m with you on the fate thing, if it’s meant to be…

• Notmyyearoff April 20, 2013 / 6:44 pm

Ahhh its nice to see a lot of people believe in whats meant to be….although I do believe you should work very hard for what in life too…bit of a paradox!

15. Kelly Wiffin April 18, 2013 / 8:14 am

The kind of books we have at home, with a fiancΓ© who is a web programmer, we are about to sell his old books

• Notmyyearoff April 20, 2013 / 6:46 pm

They go out of date so quickly don’t they? My OH is a tecchy and I think I’ll have to prise all his old books out of his hands!

16. HelpfulMum April 18, 2013 / 2:33 pm

Great post. Looks like a good book! I felt sad when I had to clear out my old room too!

• Notmyyearoff April 20, 2013 / 6:46 pm

Its a very weird feeling isn’t it? bit of sadness, bit of acceptance, bit of understanding, bit of nostalgia.

• Notmyyearoff April 20, 2013 / 6:47 pm

Oh yes!! πŸ™‚ I have another book about mathematical logic,. it looks like its from the 1970s!

17. Funky Wellies April 18, 2013 / 7:03 pm

Really nice post. We somehow do not expect things to change, do we? xx

• Notmyyearoff April 20, 2013 / 6:48 pm

Nope we don’t. It just creeps in I think and we only realise how different we are when we finally look back!

18. jenny paulin April 18, 2013 / 9:52 pm

i often look back and think ‘what if’ and ‘should i have done such and such instead’ but then i look at my 2 beautiful boys and i know i took all the right paths. as you say, what will be will be.
    great post and that must have been fun going through all your belongings that day x

• Notmyyearoff April 20, 2013 / 6:49 pm

It was – I can’t believe some of the stuff I found!