History With A Toddler – A Visit to Lyme Park

Before Little Z came along, we regularly went to wander around old musty stately homes, art galleries and generally places of historical significance. This stopped abruptly once he came along but we’ve recently taken the brave step to start going again with him in tow.

So this weekend we took a visit to the beautiful Chatsworth House in Lyme Park.

DSC_0867

If you’re a fan of the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice you will know this was Mr Darcy’s Pemberley and the lake in which he took he famous dip. He did’t happen to be around this week unfortunately but we did make the most of admiring his estate whilst he was gone.

Where as once many years ago you would catch us reading every single piece of information under every single historical artefact we found that the boss of this trip, like many these days, was Little Z. He entertained most of the staff in the National Trust by hurrying us along loudly requesting “COME ON MUMMY! WE GO NOW!” and then telling the anyone that would listen that “I go upstairs now” and then happily scampered up the antique staircases encased in red carpet where once other children would have ran.

The stately home is a bit different in that there are some rooms where you are able to sit on the furniture and play with some of the toys and books placed around especially to entertain children. Little Z loved this but would get confused in other rooms where we kept shouting “No touching!” with sheer panic. I wonder if Mr Darcy ever had this problem with his young brood. Assuming ofcourse that he and Lizze had children eventually. The site is actually very child friendly and the staff could’t be more helpful. We decided he is still a little young for even small historical tours yet especially when he declared that we should “Go outside now”.

The gardens at Lyme Park are like toddler heaven and he happily ran around the beautiful gardens and around the lake.

Lyme Park Collage 1

As always he was most happy just running and being chased by his daddy. At one point he spotted a strange looking “balloon” and ran up to the person playing with it. It was a kite and the very kind stranger let him hold it to his delight. He is becoming more and more friendly day and day and got a lot of smiles as he shouted “Hello!!!” and “BYYYYE” within 30 seconds as he darted past people like a little hurricane, with us hot on his heels trying to make sure he didn’t run off.

Lyme Park Collage2

We realised how much of a little man he is becoming when he demonstrated he could walk both up and down the stairs, slowly, without holding the banister. Despite our persistence to make him do it, he was very firm with his “No touching mummy, no touching!”, then proceeded to hold the entire line of people up behind him and come down slowly but surely all by himself.

Wot So Funee?

1. Brinabird and Son May 27, 2013 / 9:54 pm

I can do the beautiful gardens but not sure when I will feel I can brave a stately home with my toddler! It’s nice to hear that some of it was interactive. Some really beautiful photos.

2. David May 28, 2013 / 6:16 am

Lovely post and lovely photos 🙂 it is a nice feeling when you realised you can still, to some degree, begin to do the things you enjoyed before your child came along. Our was always going out for lunch and we were terrified Olivia would scream and shout and spoil it for other diners. But she is generally great at going out to eat and that was a huge relief.

3. Alison May 28, 2013 / 8:56 am

Lovely photos. It looks a great place for a day out

4. Jaime Oliver May 28, 2013 / 12:21 pm

what a really fab time you had, your pictures are amazing!

I am jealous that you have flown a kite, i have never done it!!

Thanks for linking up with #magicmoments

5. Katie @mummydaddyme May 28, 2013 / 2:23 pm

Gorgeous photos you can definitely tell you are enjoying your new camera! I want to buy a kite for mads, I think she would love it. x

6. Jess @ Catch A Single Thought May 28, 2013 / 4:34 pm

Oh it looks like you had a brilliant time, I love Chatsworth House! We’ve only taken the kids into the gardens though and haven’t braved the actual house. Perhaps we should!

Fab photos too!

7. Ruth's all sorts May 28, 2013 / 7:15 pm

Ah I love Chatsworth, though not been in a long time! We’ve not been brave enough yet to go into NT houses with the boys, just run around the gardens for now.

8. Xandi | The Mummy Scripts May 28, 2013 / 9:13 pm

GORGEOUS photos! Been practising much?! What a beautiful place and great that you could all enjoy it. Wouldn’t it be amazing if they would say “no touching!” at home too?! That would save a lot of broken remote controls and photo frames 😉

9. Liska (@NewMumOnline) May 28, 2013 / 10:42 pm

Oh they are so incredibly stubborn aren’t they? I relate to the “no touching Mummy” which translates to “no helping Mummy” AND “I want to do it by myself”.
    In Ireland we were always in my Dad’s Landrover Discovery and whenever I undid Aaron’s car seat he wanted to climb down out of the seat and to the ground AND shut the car door.
    On two occassions when my Dad tried to pick him up out of the car seat he screamed the house down.
    They REALLY like doing things by themselves at this age. OH MY GOD they do!
    WOW.
    Liska xx

10. Stay At Home Mum ~ In Training May 29, 2013 / 8:09 am

Brilliant photos! We just joined the national trust and Lyme park is on the list to do!! Feel a bit better about taking the little one now! Xx

11. Susan Mann May 29, 2013 / 9:30 am

Gorgeous pictures and looks like a fun day was had. Love the kite flying x

12. Katie Vyktoriah May 29, 2013 / 3:53 pm

Aw, bless. It’s always a gamble taking kids out to places like this, but its so rewarding and provides so many fun memories. 🙂 Lovely post. 🙂

13. older mum in a muddle May 29, 2013 / 4:22 pm

Smashing post. Chatsworth House looks stunning, I have never been there though – great you all had such a good time. Lovely, lovely photos. X.

14. Charly Dove May 29, 2013 / 6:28 pm

What a truly wonderful post, it looks absolutely amazing there. Fantastic photos too, I love a good photograph! It must have been slightly unnerving going round with a toddler, well done for doing it! We’re NT members and are firmly outside at the moment but I’m sure we’ll be inside before we know it 🙂

15. Suzanne3childrenandit May 29, 2013 / 7:10 pm

Your pictures are just gorgeous! I love this inquisitive age when they begin to interact with others (and entertain!). Sounds like you had a lovely day and some sunshine too 🙂

16. jenny paulin May 29, 2013 / 10:17 pm

Tas your photography is coming on in leaps and bounds – that first opening photo is just stunning, i love the reflections caught in the lake.
    you did well taking Z and it looks like he really enjoyed his first cultural day trip!! we recently took the boys inside a NT property for the first time as we normally just visit the gardens – we raced around in record breaking time as we were afraid o them touching everything lol x x

17. Andrew May 29, 2013 / 10:41 pm

I love the fact he is holding the queue up. The mind of a child absolutely fascinates me. The one track mind set on something, and so veryone else can do one. Brilliant, until you start apologising to everyone he is holding up!

18. Actually Mummy... May 29, 2013 / 10:43 pm

Oh I used to love Lyme Park when I lived in Cheshire.
    And yes, touch this but don’t touch this is not easy when you’re little!

19. Mumof2 May 30, 2013 / 12:24 pm

What a gorgeous place and love your photo’s!!!!

20. Mum2BabyInsomniac May 30, 2013 / 10:02 pm

Ah it looks lovely there! I still haven’t let Iyla walk up and down the stairs on her own yet even though I know she can do it, my friend said she’s taken down the stairgates and her little boy (who is the same age as Iyla) goes up and down whenever he wants. I’m too scared she will fall! x

21. Sara (@mumturnedmom) May 31, 2013 / 1:28 am

Lovely photos of a great day out. Love the ‘go outside now’ – so typical of wee ones 🙂 #wotsofunee

22. ali May 31, 2013 / 8:28 am

Stunning, looks wonderful!

23. Mammasaurus May 31, 2013 / 1:17 pm

What awesome photos- I love that kite one especially. I was just thinking it looks like something from a BBC period drama – and it is! Looks like a beautiful place x

24. TheBoyandMe June 3, 2013 / 9:35 am

Tas these are amazing photographs, brilliant colours and focus showing marvellous depth of field! I really like the collage, well done. The photos of Little Z with the kite are fab, flying one is one of the 50 Things To Do Before You’re 11&3/4! I’ve added this to my Family Fun Days Out board on Pinterest, hope you don’t mind?

25. Danielle Askins June 3, 2013 / 8:29 pm

Stunning place, kids don’t always mix too well with these places do they our baby started crying so loud when we were walking around Osbourne house so had to walk past most of it very quickly!

26. Clareybear June 4, 2013 / 10:35 am

Looks like a gorgeous place for a day out 🙂

Cx