That Drink

Before Little Z came along I’d never been much of a caffeine worshipper. I’d gladly take a glass of water over coffee and whilst I like tea, I only ever used to have one at breakfast and that’s it.

Then a newborn baby came along and I quickly discovered he liked to sleep all day and party all night. He was like a little bundle of night owl energy.

Bam!! Awake!! Every 2 hours!! Feeding then coo-ing and wanting to make happy baby noises no matter the time. Sleep was deemed boring and if he wasn’t sleeping then neither were we. The OH went off to work most days sporting the zombie look and our theory on him getting a train seat most days was that he probably looked quite scary to the human public who had had sleep.

Meanwhile I sported the zombie look indoors and at baby massage classes. How the hell were these other mums so alert and so bright tailed and bushy eyed? I barely made it through the door on time, my body already aching from yet another all-nighter.

This is when I succumbed to the magic of caffeine. A few cups kept me going through the day and gave me enough energy to last till about 6pm when I’d literally hover around the front door in time for OH to come home. It was like sheer relief when he walked in. Simply because, in those early extremely overwhelming weeks, it was another adult going through it all too.

“I’m SO TIIIIRED!!” was usually included in most of my conversations. Followed by a lot of self doubt as a new mum and genuine concern about whether Little Z would EVER sleep.

He did do. Eventually. It took about 18 months but he did!

20130521-233815.jpg

TheGallery

1. David May 22, 2013 / 6:41 am

Haha I know that feeling well. My wife and I went through the same thing (as did most new parents I assume).

Of course now it has been replaced by aching bodies from so much physical activity with the toddler! I still need the coffee to keep up

2. Angel May 22, 2013 / 7:22 am

I know that feeling all too well! I have been on the caffeine for the past 10 years lol x

3. Sarah MumofThree World May 22, 2013 / 8:41 am

Hooray! Glad he made it in the end and glad the caffeine helped! I’ve never drunk coffee, but I know most mums do. I was lucky that my kids were good sleepers after the first few weeks.

4. Jenny @ Thebrickcastle May 22, 2013 / 9:07 am

My eldest didn’t sleep through until 7. Those first 2 years I think I was a complete zombie – that’s why we waited 4 years before the next one!

5. Shackleford_LB May 22, 2013 / 9:14 am

I find that a well timed tea or coffee always does the trick.
    Love your choice of photo 🙂

6. Shell Louise May 22, 2013 / 9:27 am

The thought of sleepless nights again is the one thing that stops me wanting anymore children!

7. Jaime Oliver May 22, 2013 / 10:01 am

I so remember those early weeks and they do seem endless!! i wished i had like coffee then too .. sadly not 🙁 love the mug

8. Mother Goutte May 22, 2013 / 10:03 am

I function mainly on strong tea but I need a shot of coffee too occasionally. At some point I was drinking decaf tea, merely because it happened to be all I had, after a couple of days I felt weak and headachy, I craved caffeine!!!

9. Suzanne May 22, 2013 / 10:06 am

I’m a huge caffeine fan too, a love that has grown over my years of being a parent! I love that you were so tired that others seemed “bushy eyed”!! Glad that Little Z eventually became a sleeper….has the caffeine addiction remained?

10. SaveEveryStep family stories past and present May 22, 2013 / 11:10 am

The caffeinated saviour that is a hot brew. Many a mother has been rescued by it.

11. LauraCYMFT May 22, 2013 / 11:41 am

I do love a cup of coffee! I think I drank a lot of it when the kids were born.

12. Herding Cats May 22, 2013 / 1:20 pm

Oh, I had one of those. Amy didn’t start sleeping through the night until she went to school full time. My 14 month old sleeps beautifully through the night, however five years of getting up every 2 hours, I can no longer sleep at night.

13. Franglaise Mummy May 22, 2013 / 1:22 pm

I don’t drink tea or coffee as I don’t like the taste, but during the days of lack of sleep with a newborn I did wonder whether I could force myself to like at least one of them, just to get the caffeine hit. I’m glad you get your sleep now though!

14. A Patchwork Life May 22, 2013 / 5:17 pm

I still crave a cup of coffee first thing – never really drank it before the kids were born…Remember that sleep deprived stage so well, even though it was a while ago. The kids are pretty good now, but I’ve become such a light sleeper !

15. Lous Lake Views May 22, 2013 / 6:25 pm

This bought back so many memories,I think I lived on caffeine for about the first 4 years as a mum!

16. farfromhomemama May 22, 2013 / 7:02 pm

I’m not a huge coffee fan, but recently I’ve partaken in the odd cup or too. I panic that I’ll end up with a hyper baby though if he passes to him through my breast milk. I do love a nice cup of tea in the afternoon though.

17. MummaG May 22, 2013 / 7:53 pm

I know the feeling, 20 months it took for my little mr and a good cuppa is still needed x

18. Brinabird and Son May 22, 2013 / 8:16 pm

I succumb to tea drinking when I’m at work…somehow I need it to get me through the day. Nice mug!

19. HelpfulMum May 22, 2013 / 9:48 pm

Love your mug! I have never had coffee before but I was lucky that both my children really liked sleeping!

20. Xandi | The Mummy Scripts May 23, 2013 / 2:52 pm

I never used to drink coffee before the kids came along, now I can’t live without it! Not great sleepers here either 🙁 x

21. older mum in a muddle May 23, 2013 / 5:58 pm

Love the mug! I can’t drink coffee – I am too sensitive to caffeine. Poo.

22. Sonya Cisco May 23, 2013 / 8:49 pm

Coffee is the nectar of the gods, and without it I would be permenantly comatose!

23. The Fool May 23, 2013 / 9:20 pm

I’m never that keen on coffee first thing, much prefer a cup of tea, but it sure is a good pcik me up when you have a slump isn’t it?

24. Erica Price May 25, 2013 / 7:36 am

Must admit I rarely drink coffee (but am a bit of a tea fanatic). I much prefer my coffee in cake form! Defo need something to get through the day after a sleepless night though.

25. Mummy's Got Style May 25, 2013 / 10:33 am

Coffee hates me so I’m a decaff girl. My eldest is not a great sleeper (gluey ear does not help one bit) but my second is pretty good and is generally a chilled dude…I think it’s second child syndrome-we’re more relaxed so he is!

26. TheBoyandMe June 3, 2013 / 9:29 am

I love coffee, can’t stand tea or any other hot drink. In fact, the coffee has to be a cold coffee, like a frappucino! And I never ever drank them before I had The Boy! Haven’t had one yet today and I’m flagging already!