What Say?

Little Z is a very curious toddler. In fact, I would go as far as to say he can be very nosey. He has two favourite questions. The first one is:

Who’s that?

This usually happens when we’ve passed someone in the street of I’m on the phone to someone. As a result he knows the names of all my friends and a handful of people at work, even though he’s not met most of them.

The second one is:

What Say?”

This usually immediately follows the first question if I’ve been on the phone. It always makes us smile as the question makes him sound like a 50 year old stemming from the depths of Yorkshire. Despite our attempts to make him say the full sentence he prefers this version and uses it approximately 2,355 times a day.

We are regularly trying to stop ourselves from saying it too! Not because we have anything against Yorkshire folk, but because we seem to be mimicking what he says a lot.

Like the other day, for instance.

A situation presented itself in our house around the time the Dawn chorus started. It was not the best time for a situation to present itself but when it did I wondered what to do for a bit.

The OH then made the fateful mistake of murmuring “What Say?” without realising what he was saying and what he was about to become embroiled in.

And Bam! That was it…

A sleepy argument had started as we both went about getting ready for work. There was loud incredulous whispering. There was hushed stomping at our annoyance with the fact that we were arguing so early in the morning and there was a lot of chuckling at the daft situation that had presented itself that was not the fault at either of us.

Calm descended equally quickly as we started coming up with the best solution we could cobble together at so early an hour and with that we embarked on our daily mission to try to lift and shift Little Z from the cot into the car seat without waking him.

He stayed asleep thankfully, bar one moment where he lifted his sleepy head to look at me and ask …

“What say?”.

20130513-062201.jpg

1. David May 13, 2013 / 6:42 am

I like that πŸ™‚ My daughter is very similar and we too have started to mimic her – not deliberately, but when I’ve spent all day with her it is hard to switch back to adult speak. I often refer to meal times as “eats” and when I suggest we ask for help it is in the form of “ask the man” πŸ™‚

• Notmyyearoff May 24, 2013 / 2:17 pm

Haha we do this too – I’m pretty sure OH and I have both nearly slipped up at work!

2. Sarah MumofThree World May 13, 2013 / 6:53 am

So cute! I remember my kids always asking who people were – people we’d just passed I’m the street. They assumed we knew everyone! My husband and I picked up a phrase off Teletubbies when my son watched it years ago ‘what doing?’. We’ve only recently stopped using it!

• Notmyyearoff May 24, 2013 / 2:22 pm

Thats so cute, I can imagine them saying “Who’s that?” And “who’s that?” constantly!

3. Red Rose Mummy May 13, 2013 / 8:43 am

We find ourselves copying Bud’s funny little phrases too. He has a favourite toy tamborine which is always called a tangerine now, and there are so many others. I think it’s lovely – it will be a good way to remember them too.

• Notmyyearoff May 24, 2013 / 2:23 pm

Haha I love the tangerine thing!! πŸ™‚

4. Sarahmumof3 May 13, 2013 / 8:55 am

child talk is suprisingly catching isn’t it I remmeber the phase the same as this with the thousands of questions daily

5. Xandi | The Mummy Scripts May 13, 2013 / 9:16 am

We spend our lives copying our children’s special little vocab – it’s go to the point where we do it in public, like at a restaurant I will say “I’m just going to the potty” hmmm. Not sure what the neighbouring tables think of that!

• Notmyyearoff May 24, 2013 / 2:28 pm

Heehee ….that’s funny, I’ll make sure to remember things like that!

6. MsXpat May 13, 2013 / 9:38 am

LOL sounds very familiar. My boy keeps asking ‘what’s that nose?’ Or ‘What’s that?’ In fact that was the first thing she said to me as he opened his eyes this morning (we co-sleep 1/2 the night). Before my eyes open … ‘mummy what’s that nose?’ It was the garbage truck. Look in the bright side with every question they learn new words and new phrases to express themselves :0)

• Notmyyearoff May 24, 2013 / 2:29 pm

Little Z has started that this week…”whats that noise”?? and wiggle his finger near his ear to demonstrate. πŸ˜€

7. Jaime Oliver May 13, 2013 / 10:20 am

I am loving that saying it is so super cute!! thanks for linking up with #magicmoments xx

• Notmyyearoff May 24, 2013 / 2:29 pm

Its very entertaining listening to it all!

8. shahnaz May 13, 2013 / 10:40 am

what a very cute saying “what say”…I love it so cute x

• Notmyyearoff May 24, 2013 / 2:30 pm

Thanks – he is a little monkey mostly. But very cute!

9. Mummy of Two May 13, 2013 / 11:15 am

So sweet! My son never shuts up and we often find ourselves speaking like him and saying his little phrases without even realising!

• Notmyyearoff May 24, 2013 / 2:30 pm

We are the same – we are slowly morphing into toddler speak too I think!

10. Emma May 13, 2013 / 11:46 am

Ha ha, that made me laugh. We get ‘What you just said?’ πŸ™‚

• Notmyyearoff May 24, 2013 / 2:31 pm

Haha – they are funny little things aren’t they?

11. Mummy Wife Woman May 13, 2013 / 11:47 am

awww such a lovely post. its funny how our LO’s one-liners become part of our everyday language isnt it. we have a lot we still use from our eldest and a few are starting to emerge with our youngest πŸ™‚ #happytimes

• Notmyyearoff May 24, 2013 / 2:31 pm

so it lasts forever then really doesn’t it? Hehe : )

12. Charlotte May 13, 2013 / 12:36 pm

Love this! ‘What Say’ is so cute! I have to try and stop myself mimicking Bob when she says things her own way but I don’t want to think of a day when she says things properly. :o) x

• Notmyyearoff May 24, 2013 / 2:41 pm

Its so cute though, I’d like to hear your version of Baa baa πŸ™‚

13. Erica Price May 13, 2013 / 2:59 pm

Bless him. He’s obviously curious and eager to learn. We have included one of H’s words within our family vocabulary: comsty (meaning comfy).

• Notmyyearoff May 24, 2013 / 2:47 pm

Amazing how it becomes so ingrained isn’t it – very lovely though how they change you for good!

14. wendy May 13, 2013 / 4:40 pm

aww so sweet xx

15. Nikki Thomas May 13, 2013 / 6:58 pm

That is very cute x

16. LauraCYMFT May 13, 2013 / 8:58 pm

Hahah I love the little things kids make up for things or the expressions they use but we also tried very hard not to copy them and encourage them to use the proper word etc.

• Notmyyearoff May 24, 2013 / 2:48 pm

I am a bit slack like that and my hubby is always pointing out I should talk properly to him (rather than copying him)!

17. Steph May 13, 2013 / 9:40 pm

I love this πŸ™‚
    The little man has a thing for saying ‘see soon’ and we can’t help but say it when people leave, or on the phone etc

Xx

• Notmyyearoff May 24, 2013 / 2:50 pm

Thats so cute – he he I bet some of the phrases stick forever

• Notmyyearoff May 24, 2013 / 2:51 pm

Thats so cute – he he I bet some of the phrases stick forever don’t they?

18. jenny paulin May 14, 2013 / 8:24 am

oh dear !!! this did make me smile and some of it i was nodding my head too aswell! you have to be soooo careful what you say in front of children don’t you? We have a lot of ‘whats’ and ‘whys’ in this house but ‘what say’ is really funny and cute. wonder what they next word phae will be\??? xx

• Notmyyearoff May 24, 2013 / 2:51 pm

God yes – they’re like little parrots!

19. older mum in a muddle May 14, 2013 / 4:05 pm

That is very, very sweet. I just adore their take on language – Little A always says Moonix instead of Music, and we often find ourselves repeating it to the detriment of her learning :o). X

20. farfromhomemama May 14, 2013 / 7:49 pm

That’s so funny.

We have the problem in that we have really strange accents now. Living abroad, we’ve had to slow our speech down and say everything perfectly so we can be understood. I now speak English like it’s my second language. And CK speaks English with a German accent πŸ™‚

• Notmyyearoff May 24, 2013 / 3:13 pm

• Notmyyearoff May 24, 2013 / 3:15 pm

He’s going to end up teaching you lots of German isn’t he? (Well…till you come back I mean :))

21. Verily Victoria Vocalises May 14, 2013 / 10:24 pm

I love the way kids say things in shortened sentences. I always thought it was so cute when Grace did it πŸ™‚ x

22. Sara (@mumturnedmom) May 14, 2013 / 11:46 pm

How sweet πŸ™‚ I love the little phrases and strange words – and it’s so hard not to repeat them!

• Notmyyearoff May 24, 2013 / 3:18 pm

I think its already become part of our everyday conversations!

23. Susan Mann May 15, 2013 / 12:23 pm

So sweet, you can’t help but pick up their little phrases. x

• Notmyyearoff May 24, 2013 / 3:21 pm

I’m just hoping that we don’t slip up too much in public!

24. Ruth's all sorts May 15, 2013 / 6:02 pm

Ah the questions, we know it well. Our toddler asks ‘What’s that?’ about as many times as Little Z asks ‘What say?’ πŸ™‚

• Notmyyearoff May 24, 2013 / 3:31 pm

So cute – I love that they’re so curious. Although by about 7pm it get does get a bit exhausting!

25. angela May 15, 2013 / 9:00 pm

Very sweet! My LO is saying “What do!” at the moment to everything x

26. Charly Dove May 15, 2013 / 11:54 pm

Brilliant I love this post, reminds me of our toddler. We have “whatsatt?” and “whosiss?” all the time. Will be weird when they can talk properly πŸ™‚

• Notmyyearoff May 24, 2013 / 3:37 pm

Its great how they find their own ways to say things isn’t it?

27. Notmyyearoff May 24, 2013 / 3:19 pm

Its a lovely bond isn’t it? I just have to be careful not to say it at work!

28. TheBoyandMe June 3, 2013 / 9:41 am

I love it, what a comical little expression!

29. About cot September 26, 2013 / 1:58 pm

Hello
    Your post made me smile! πŸ™‚ I started to smile while reading your post about β€œWhat Say?” and about 50 year old stemming from the depths of Yorkshire… πŸ™‚
    I think that daily mission to lift and shift Little Z from the cot into the car seat without waking him is impossible. πŸ™‚ I would recommend to take cot with you! πŸ™‚