Dearest Toddler at 2 and a Half

Hello Little Z,

We came home from a week in Turkey last night and right now I am dreading all the washing that’s waiting for me. You had an awesome time on holiday and something occurred to me yesterday that your Daddy agreed with; It’s as if you were the one on holiday and we were tagging along!

Before you came along, when we were on holiday, people would ask where we were from, what our names were, what our ethnic backgrounds were, what England was like…just generally people interested in us tourists visiting their country.

Last week though was a completely different story. People were genuinely delighted to see a little toddler hurricane running into their shops and would try to pick you up, hug you, kiss you, high five you, give you pizza! We actually visited one particular shop a few times and you remembered the goodies you’d received the previous time and asked the man “we have pizza?”.

Anytime you told someone your name they exuberantly replied, “That is a Turkish name!!”, then proceeded to give us countless origins of where your name came from. No one was interested in me or your Daddy anymore. In fact, one guy called me “Lady” whilst he knew your entire toddler history, what you liked, disliked and the fact that you loved singing and dancing. I have to say, people in Turkey are very friendly and amazingly hospitable.

You are your own little person now whilst still in the midst of the terrible twos. I am secretly hoping the terrible threes are not that much worse. I wonder if some children skip that entire phase. I really hope so (one can dream, right?). I fear you are starting to become a bit more like a boy and a bit less like a baby. I catch you sometimes looking a bit older than your years, hands stuffed in pockets. You still very much love singing and dancing and have become a lot less shy which is lovely to see.

You’re also very fond of animals. Especially cats, and dogs, and birds, and elephants, and fish, and lions, and giraffes, and monkeys, and, well anything really. You regularly stroked the moody hotel cat which one day scratched you and drew blood. You got over it quickly though and your stories about the whole incident got more and more elaborate over time. Today you have told us the cat roared and then used both hands to scratch you. We have predicted that by the end of the week the cat will have transformed into a lion.

I also made a big realisation. I think you may be ready for nursery already. You loved the playgroups on holiday and, aside from a few cautionary glances thrown our way, you happily played with anyone and everything. In fact, you refused to leave for hours. We had to eventually man handle you out of there. I know nursery on a regular basis will be a different kettle of fish I know you’ll enjoy it. I guess this means I should get some forms to apply for a place.

I will do it. Really. Soon. Honest. Next week.

Z at 2 and half

Kiddycharts Blog
Wot So Funee?

1. Susan Mann June 19, 2013 / 12:09 pm

Aww I love these posts, he’s coming on leaps and bounds xx

2. Rhian @melbs June 19, 2013 / 1:19 pm

I know what you mean we have just found out we have a place at kinder next year. Not really sure how I feel about it he still seems do young! Sounds like a fab holiday. 🙂

3. Herding Cats June 19, 2013 / 5:11 pm

What a beautiful post and such a gorgeous picture.

4. Suzanne June 19, 2013 / 6:02 pm

I think holidays are great for helping us see our children differently – somehow they seem to grow up before our eyes. Such a lovely post 🙂 Nursery is a big step but probably one that he’s read for, even if you’re not!

5. Katie @mummydaddyme June 19, 2013 / 6:25 pm

Bless him, I’m glad he entertained everyone on holiday and that you all had a good time. X

6. Mum2BabyInsomniac June 19, 2013 / 9:00 pm

I handed in Iyla’s pre-school registration form the other day! Luckily we both loved it but the thought of leaving her there on her first say scares me so much! x

7. Sarah MumofThree World June 20, 2013 / 12:34 pm

What a lovely post. Glad he had such a good holiday and made an impact on everyone around him! I found the same when we were in Spain – people were so interested in the kids! It was really lovely to see and a change from the British attitude.

8. older mum in a muddle June 20, 2013 / 4:10 pm

Sounds like you all had a fabulous holiday! Welcome back! It’s so wonderful when you give them these new experiences, they come on leaps and bounds afterwards. Lovely photo! X.

9. David June 21, 2013 / 8:21 am

Lovely post 🙂 sounds like you had a lovely time. They change everything though don’t they? No more sitting by the pool or checking out the bars and eateries, it’s all about having fun with the toddler. You get to see the, experience so many new things and people and it’s amazing when you see them enjoying themselves.

10. jenny paulin June 22, 2013 / 11:02 pm

oh Tas he is growing up!! i thin its a good thing that you saw him interacting with his peers well and that he was happy and he wated to stay and play with the other children.
    your holiday sounds wonderful and Z coped rerally eell with being abroad and experiencing all the new things that come with a holiday. all good and important life lessons. x x

11. Helen Neale June 24, 2013 / 11:44 am

How amazing he seems to be – an how holidays change when we have kids, eh? But sounds like he is taking the limelight from you in a rather good way – can’t wait for the story about the “lion” when it comes too! Thanks so much for linking to the Parenting Pinterest Pin it Party as well – pleasure to have you 😀

12. Faye Carlisle June 24, 2013 / 2:47 pm

I started my son at preschool at 2 and half but it wasn’t that successful. I started him again at 3 and he enjoyed it.

13. Jess @ Catch A Single Thought June 24, 2013 / 3:20 pm

What a lovely post. Gorgeous photo too. I am noticing with Eli more and more than he is moving away from the ‘baby’ stage and becoming a little person. It pulls at the heart strings doesn’t it?

14. Alice (@mumsmakelists) June 24, 2013 / 3:50 pm

Lovely post – we’re just back as well with all the washing boo! Just can’t face another load today 🙁

15. Boo Roo and Tigger Too June 25, 2013 / 9:11 am

So funny what effect a toddler can have on a situation, that realisation that everything is in fact all about them.

16. WallyMummy June 25, 2013 / 9:39 am

Awww x glad you had a lovely time in Turkey 😉 we’ve just got back ourselves! calling ti a ‘holiday’ is a bit misleading but it was an experience with an 18 month old tarts for sure 😉 lol x #funee

17. Kim Carberry June 25, 2013 / 11:00 am

Sounds like you had a great holiday!!
    What a lovely post!!

18. Luci - mother.wife.me June 25, 2013 / 5:05 pm

Aw, what a lovely post. I remember only too well making the nursery decision, it was only for a couple of hours a couple of times a week, but it was a big deal. Good luck x

19. Xandi | The Mummy Scripts June 25, 2013 / 8:12 pm

He sounds like a real little charmer! Since I started reading your blog I can see already how much he has changed and grown! Nursery won’t be that bad, promise, I felt exactly the same way but he will love it x

20. The Mini Mes and Me June 25, 2013 / 11:25 pm

Holidays aren’t what they cracked up to be hey! Kids become number one from the moment they arrive… Wouldn’t have it any other way 🙂 x

21. Laughter, Mud and Mayhem June 26, 2013 / 9:37 am

What a lovely post. I’ve just had a settle in session with my two and a half year old for preschool – he will start when he’s nearly three in September. He’s so ready for it – I’m not! Glad I found your bog – hopping over from Wot So Funee blog hop x

22. Emily June 26, 2013 / 11:18 am

Such a lovely letter, I love watching the way my children interact with others. C starts nursery in Sept – he can’t wait, I can 🙁 xx

23. Mum of One June 26, 2013 / 1:44 pm

Oh I love reading about how he is getting on and glad you had such a lovely time away. He is just adorable. Thanks so much for linking to the pin it party. Made me smile this morning 🙂

24. Sara (@mumturnedmom) June 27, 2013 / 1:00 pm

It’s so wonderful to watch them develop and interact with other people, and charm them! It sounds like you had a lovely holiday 🙂