But Why?

Over the last few weeks you can see Little Zs thought process has been developing a lot more. You can now catch him pondering the answer and mulling it over before he replies. It’s amusing to see out of someone so young. “I think” and “because” now feature regularly at the start of his sentences. He also threw in the odd “why?”, just enough to go “ahhh that’s cute”.

But something’s changed over the last week. He is no longer pondering, no longer mulling the answers. He is now a little ticker tape of “But why??”, firing them out about a millisecond after I ask him to do something. I’m not sure I can even recall that much of our conversations at the end of the day anymore. All that is rattling around my head are the words “But why??”

The simplest of requests can lead us down a path that will have us examining universe, why it is there in the first place and the reason it exists. It is really draining!

Take, for instance, yesterday evening…

Me: “Come on, lets put your pjs on”
Little Z: “Why?”
Me: “Because its almost sleepy time”
Little Z: “But why?”
Me: “Because its night time”
Little Z: “Why?”
Me: “Errr…because the suns gone home now to sleep too”
Little Z: “Why?”
Me: “Because the moon is out now, you have to sleep when the moon comes out”
Little Z: “The moon?? Shall we get it?”

Lucky for me this broke the relentless “Why”-ing. He is a big the moon and regularly disappointed he never gets to see it with the summer days being so long. But you get the idea. This is now a regular feature in our house and the time it takes to complete toddler tasks has certain lengthened considerably.

These “why” conversations are leading to some strange conclusions. Some of other why conversations have ended up concluding in slightly bizarre territory.

Send help. Or a book of answers to toddler “why?” questions!

20130729-100357.jpg

Wot So Funee?

1. Sarah Miles July 29, 2013 / 10:13 am

Why do they sat this? Why? Why?

My standard answer is ‘because I said so’ – not terribly helpful (or effective) but an answer nonetheless!

Or I start singing Why, why, why Delilah? Which is enough to stop anyone in their tracks…..;)

• Notmyyearoff July 30, 2013 / 6:10 pm

Haha I like that! He would probably tell me to stop singing.

2. Foz July 29, 2013 / 10:13 am

I still get the ‘why?’ and mine is 7 years old!!

• Notmyyearoff July 30, 2013 / 6:11 pm

Oh myyyy so it could be a permanent thing then?

3. AtoZ Mummy July 29, 2013 / 10:16 am

Why why why???? Gaaaaaaaah!! The stage does pass but then, for us, came back with a vengeance at around 4!!! He still asks why after most things and it’s a real battle to bite my tongue and not scream “BECAUSE!!!”

4. AtoZ Mummy July 29, 2013 / 10:16 am

• Notmyyearoff July 30, 2013 / 6:14 pm

Did this strike a chord with you? You left a comment 3 times 😉

5. AtoZ Mummy July 29, 2013 / 10:16 am

6. Helen The good life mum July 29, 2013 / 10:54 am

oh lol im so sorry im giggling here partly in sympathy partly as its funny and partly the madness it causes as m going through the same thing. I’m with you here. brilliant

• Notmyyearoff July 30, 2013 / 6:15 pm

It’s slightly bonkers isn’t it? I do love telling the OH about his latest “why” as soon as he’s home though! 🙂

7. Mummy of Two July 29, 2013 / 12:57 pm

We were so lucky not to really go through the ‘why’ stage with our first – hoping we are as lucky second time around!

• Notmyyearoff July 30, 2013 / 6:15 pm

I’m hoping its a quick phase but who knows!

8. Liska @NewMumOnline July 29, 2013 / 1:06 pm

Ah he has started early or Aaron started late, as Aaron’s whys only started just as he was about to turn three.

BUT he has been doing what, where, when and how, for ages. They were fine, as the answer always satisfied.

BUT with the whys, he normally does about 3 in a row.

WHY do they do this? Is it built into their DNA? Surely it simply MUST be? But why? 😉

Liska xx

• Notmyyearoff July 30, 2013 / 6:16 pm

Haha it’s amusing and draining all at once I think!!

9. suzanne July 29, 2013 / 1:17 pm

Ah, it was only a matter of time!! All little ones eventually reach this rather irritating ‘why’ stage….hang in there honey! x

• Notmyyearoff July 30, 2013 / 6:17 pm

Thanks Suzanne, today we have had a day of reasonable “why”s. There may be a light 🙂

10. Margot Darling July 29, 2013 / 1:36 pm

Ahhhhh!!!! Primrose is 4 nearly 5 and we are still getting “But, why?” I totally sympathise!

• Notmyyearoff July 30, 2013 / 6:18 pm

Ahhhhh, so it could go on a few more years then?

11. Jaime Oliver July 29, 2013 / 3:50 pm

i so know i have this stage to look forward too .. or not!!

thanks for linking up with #Magicmoments x

• Notmyyearoff July 30, 2013 / 6:19 pm

Hehe, it is a very sweet stage too if that makes you feel better?

12. Kim Carberry July 29, 2013 / 4:07 pm

I still get they ‘Why?’ all the time….lol Mine are 5 & 10!!
    My answer is always because I said so….hehehe

• Notmyyearoff July 30, 2013 / 6:19 pm

That seems to be a popular answer amongst some parents! 🙂

13. Charly Dove July 29, 2013 / 6:38 pm

Aww bless him with all his questions about bedtime. I say that knowing POD will be doing exactly the same thing in a month or so! Very funny – not for you maybe 🙂

• Notmyyearoff July 30, 2013 / 6:20 pm

Hehe she will! It’s amusing too, just the sheet number is exhausting sometimes

14. Red Rose Mummy July 29, 2013 / 8:21 pm

We seem to have escaped the relentless why session, Bud asks a lot of questions but tends to vary them luckily!

• Notmyyearoff July 30, 2013 / 6:22 pm

Ahh lucky! I am hoping this phase is a quick one!

15. dadwhoblogs July 29, 2013 / 8:42 pm

Is ”Cos pooh heads say why’ and acceptable response?

I suck at this ;parent thing! lol

Found you on #MagicMondays….Hi! *waves*

16. Lous Lake Views July 29, 2013 / 10:04 pm

Hehehe! This brings back memories of when mine were little and after the 199th why resorting to ‘just because’ or’ it just is’ because I didn’t have the energy to keep going!

• Notmyyearoff July 30, 2013 / 6:23 pm

It’s definitely taxing on energy levels sometimes isn’t it?

17. Charly Dove July 30, 2013 / 2:58 pm

Doesn’t seem right not to head back again – a perfect post for Wot So Funee. We’re not doing very well on the potty training by the way 🙂

18. Sara (@mumturnedmom) July 30, 2013 / 3:38 pm

It does pass but, good grief it’s annoying while it’s happening! It’s so hard not to reach the end of your knowledge/imagination/tether and say ‘just because’ !! But then sometimes the original questions are so clever and thoughtful that you don’t mind at all 🙂

• Notmyyearoff July 30, 2013 / 6:25 pm

Saying “just because” is very tempting!

19. Katie @mummydaddyme July 30, 2013 / 3:55 pm

haha we haven’t started with the Why’s? yet properly! We do the odd one but nothing too bad. I am dreading it when she says it non stop! x

• Notmyyearoff July 30, 2013 / 6:25 pm

You may get lucky and just get a normal number! 🙂

20. Jess @ Catch A Single Thought July 30, 2013 / 4:35 pm

Ahh I totally sympathise. We still have that now from Meg and she’s 4 1/2!! My favourite answer ‘because I said so’ gets rolled out often 🙂

• Notmyyearoff July 30, 2013 / 6:26 pm

I think that may become my favourite answer eventually too!

21. Notmyyearoff July 30, 2013 / 6:26 pm

Yes!! I did it yesterday and he looked so confused, hehe. Was very funny!

22. Gina Caro July 30, 2013 / 7:46 pm

I have this ALL THE TIME from my four year old and his questions are getting harder and harder to answer. He literally talks from the minute he gets up to the minute he goes to bed and then he talks in his sleep!!

23. 3yearsandhome July 30, 2013 / 8:33 pm

It’s a living hell! We’re in the midst of it right now and it has me banging my head against the wall. I’ve started saying, ‘why do you think?’ and am enjoying the really elaborate and bizarre answers that he gives back.

24. Actually Mummy... July 30, 2013 / 8:36 pm

Uh-oh, soon you’ll be sounding like your mother – “Because I said so” suddenly becomes very attractive!

25. Sonya Cisco July 31, 2013 / 12:19 pm

I look forward to Why, we are currently stuck on NO. lol. Bless them!

26. older mum in a muddle August 1, 2013 / 10:01 am

Well at the very least, he has a thirst for knowledge!!!!!!! Little A is all whys now too…. it’s utterly relentless – I try to answer the best I can BUT sometimes it can be so tiring (in a good way). X