Dearest Toddler – 2 Years and 7 Months

Hello Toddler!

Its that time of the year again where you age another month. You’re now 2 years and 7 months or as your Grandad keeps saying, “nearly 3! When are you going to sort out his nursery?!?”. I keep zoning out as soon as he asks.
There is time…there is time…..there is…ok I’ll sort it this week. Really.

Actually, you’ve been asking to go constantly and learning even more nursery rhymes from your cousin A. Your favourite one at the moment is Humpty Dumpty, mainly because you get to throw yourself off the top of the sofa at the end, laugh hysterically, climb to the top and do it all over again. Occasionally you stop for a bit of a breather; mainly when you’ve jumped too far and hurt your bum on the floor.

You’re now saying words like “Because” and “I think”….it makes you sound so much older, like there is a genuine thought process going on in that little head, giving your opinions on everything. With this ever expanding vocabulary you now tell us stories about your day. They range from what you did to where you went and even stories about me. In fact, your Aunty rang me the other day to check I was ok because you’d told her I’d fallen down and banged my head. I hadn’t. I think your imagination is ever growing too at the moment!

You’ve also become slightly dramatic over the last few weeks. You are now having tantrums where, if I don’t pick you up, you will lie on the floor on your back and shout…

“Help me!”

“Help meeee!”

“HELPPPPPPP MEEEEEEE!”

It just gets louder and louder and can go on for ages. We found it hilarious at first. Then we wondered what the neighbours must think of us. They probably think we’re completely crazy.

You’re developing your bargaining skills quite nicely, pleading “last one mummy?” when you want to do something naughty. You hope that repeating yourself constantly will break me. I think those that use torture as a way to get secrets out of prisoners should study toddlers for a while.

You still run, skip and hop everywhere. I think you may have forgotten how to walk and how to get there in a relaxed fashion. Everything is “COME on!” and the only acceptable speed is in a rush, usually by running. Maybe I should warn the nursery of the little hurricane they’ll be taking on?

We’ve mostly been enjoying the sun these past few weeks and you’ve enjoyed going to the farm, the park and blowing bubbles constantly. You’ve taken quite a liking to your Daddy’s power wash machine. It all sounds very loud in the garden these days as he shouts “No..noo..noo…no touching!”.

Like I keep saying, if he put it away it wouldn’t be played with 😉

Toddler

Post Comment Love
hrefhttpwww.html"Ethans Escapades

1. 3yearsandhome July 15, 2013 / 7:09 pm

Oh, I’m loving this age and the increased vocabularly. If I don’t respond to CK the moment he wakes up he shouts, ‘help me, help me, is there anyone there, I’ve been left all alone’. Cheeky little monkies.

• Notmyyearoff July 30, 2013 / 6:39 pm

Haha that’s soo cute and so funny. Where do they learn these things?

2. City Mam Gone Country July 15, 2013 / 7:34 pm

I was going to say I miss those days, but I have it all to come with my 21 month old (my final child from my brood of 3) I am now following you from twitter and following your blog too, I have just started my own today and look forward to getting to know you and your blog more, the more I read much love from http://wp.me/p3K43C-2

3. Elisabeth A. Hebert July 16, 2013 / 12:45 am

I have to say I read this out loud to my husband as our 18-month old (today) has his first day of nursery tomorrow (ok today in a few hours)… We had were laughing and snorting over your blog – could completely relate as this is our second child entering nursery – the first was just as independent as yours – and we’re thinking the second is going to be the same (we’ve been auditing nursery – going in with him but he could care less that we were there)… thank you for this. My sides are hurting from the experience.

• Notmyyearoff July 30, 2013 / 6:55 pm

Good luck!! I hope it was a brilliant first day and you’re all settled now. I actually rang for a place, hurrah! 🙂

4. butwhymummywhy July 16, 2013 / 10:22 am

Love it! I’m just writing a post about E being 2 and half and can see lots of similarities. xx

5. Red Rose Mummy July 16, 2013 / 10:33 am

Oh, he sounds hilarious and a huge bundle of fun! It’s lovely seeing the world through their eyes as they start to explore isn’t it? It’s a great age!

6. Suzanne July 16, 2013 / 12:44 pm

Gorgeous post. He sounds a delight and so very articular for his age! You really do need to sort out that nursery Mrs, he’ll be going to school before you get make an enquiry!

7. Jaime Oliver July 16, 2013 / 1:14 pm

lol i love this age and joshua is fast approaching! i absolutely adore the picture at the bottoms honey xx

8. jenny paulin July 16, 2013 / 4:08 pm

i can see a few similarities here with Jenson like Help me mummy please, when he is too tired to walk anywhere lol. it is a fun age and they are such little characters at the moment arent they? those ride on tractors look great fun – my two would enjoy riding them.

9. TK July 16, 2013 / 8:07 pm

I keep track of every month too, at least in my head! I do feel that at this age they change every single day.

10. Nikki Thomas July 16, 2013 / 8:29 pm

That is so lovely! This year between 2 and 3 is huge in terms of their development and it is amazing to see how much they are coming on. Good luck with those tantrums

11. Charlotte July 16, 2013 / 10:06 pm

He sounds like so much fun! I have a lovely image of him being Humpty Dumpty in my head. 🙂 x

12. sarah July 17, 2013 / 12:36 am

ha! how lovely is this. hard to believe he is nearly three!!

13. Sara (@mumturnedmom) July 17, 2013 / 1:54 am

Lovely post! I remember that age with the boys so well, and I’m looking forward to it with the wee girl 🙂 It’s so much fun! Love the photo x

14. Ruth's all sorts July 17, 2013 / 6:23 am

Ah our boys seem very similar in age and what they’re saying. I love the ‘help me!’, mine is saying that too, sounds so funny. And he’s also saying stuff that suddenly makes him sound much older, I know what you mean 🙂

15. Mummy Wife Woman July 17, 2013 / 11:10 am

what a wonderful post. this age is the best isnt it. make the most of every moment, when they start preschool they grow up even quicker xx ##ssamazingachievements

16. Herding Cats July 17, 2013 / 11:22 am

What a lovely post. I miss those times with my elder two, but I guess I have it all to come again with my youngest.

17. Charly Dove July 17, 2013 / 12:23 pm

I love these posts of yours – they really resonate too as POD is only a month younger. This age is just wonderful, I’m going to miss it when they’re bigger! Thank you for your lovely comment on the What’s The Story Linky 🙂

18. Helen The good life mum July 17, 2013 / 3:40 pm

i remember that age with Sophie nursery will be amazing for him and your see so huge changes then when he hits 3 and a half he will be completly different again, make sure you get time for a cuppa tea while he is at nursery

• Notmyyearoff July 30, 2013 / 6:57 pm

It does feel like it when I read about Mads 🙂

19. Louise July 17, 2013 / 5:47 pm

A lovely age – minus the odd tantrum x

20. Kate @craftsonsea July 17, 2013 / 7:42 pm

Ahh, my son is the same age 🙂 It’s totally a gorgeous age to be but at the same time yes I also agree that people who use mental torture have a lot to learn from toddlers!!

21. Mummy of Two July 18, 2013 / 8:08 am

I loved this age (apart from the tantrums!)

• Notmyyearoff July 30, 2013 / 6:58 pm

Hehe yep I would gladly trade the tantrums in!

22. Jane July 18, 2013 / 4:25 pm

I love that you keep a record like this. I love how he is using speech, this is alien to me :0) On the plus side I don’t get the “Help ME!” issues lol.

Thanks for linking up with Small Steps Amazing Achievements :0)
    x

• Notmyyearoff July 30, 2013 / 6:59 pm

One day soon I hope you get to do that too x

23. Sarah MumofThree World July 18, 2013 / 5:43 pm

Bless him! It’s amazing how much they change from month to month. It made me laugh him telling Auntie that you’d banged your head!

• Notmyyearoff July 30, 2013 / 6:59 pm

He loves telling that story. With lots of variations each time 🙂

24. Erica Price July 19, 2013 / 7:27 am

Had to smile at him telling people that you’d fallen over and obviously been convincing enough for them to ask you about it.

25. Steph July 19, 2013 / 4:13 pm

Oh, sooo much of that is happening here! It took me a while to figure out E’s dramatic tales about everyone and their aunt falling over and banging their head (always accompanied by a wobbly bottom lip) was just his imagination going into overdrive! 😉 It’s such a funny age!

• Notmyyearoff July 30, 2013 / 7:00 pm

Haha aww the bottom lip quiver sounds very cute!

26. pobbing along July 19, 2013 / 7:23 pm

ahh, i love to see their personalities coming out. who knew a toddler could torture so well!? its so hard not to laugh / scream / cuddle and kiss them when they repeat everything a million times! the pobs favourite at the mo is (when i’m in another room) ‘where ahhh you mummy’ ‘mummy ahhh you in kitchen?’ ‘mummy come play in the toy room’….love them! x

• Notmyyearoff July 30, 2013 / 7:01 pm

So true!! They are so full of energy and life right now aren’t they?

27. Emma July 19, 2013 / 10:11 pm

Awww, beautiful. Toddler bargaining skills are great aren’t they? x

• Notmyyearoff July 30, 2013 / 7:02 pm

Yes I think they would make excellent negotiators!

28. Actually Mummy... July 19, 2013 / 10:30 pm

Oh the art of negotiating – they’re clever little things, aren’t they!?

29. Verily Victoria Vocalises July 19, 2013 / 11:23 pm

Bless him, he is growing so fast! Even in the time I’ve been reading your blog. Ross and I continuously discuss how amusing it is that toddlers RUN everywhere! Thank you so much for linking to PoCoLo xx

• Notmyyearoff July 30, 2013 / 7:02 pm

They do, we always say we could power the house off his energy!

30. Pinkoddy July 20, 2013 / 5:58 am

Awww what a gorgeous account of such a special age.

• Notmyyearoff July 30, 2013 / 7:04 pm

Haha – I always want to pop next door and say “we’re not mad really. Honest!”

31. Xandi | The Mummy Scripts July 23, 2013 / 10:37 pm

What is it with these toddlers and Humpty Dumpty?! My two are constantly playing it, taking turns to fall (push each other) off the sofa and laugh hysterically while I scream in terror that they will hurt themselves – they think I’m the crazy one…
    I think Little Z is so ready for nursery – those teachers better get some rest over the summer!

• Notmyyearoff July 30, 2013 / 7:04 pm

I think you’re right about nursery!! They’re not going to know what’s hit them (or run past them!)