Sanctuary

The last week has been amazing for weather and we’ve been out pretty much every day, except the hottest part of the day which has been spent trying to plug Little Z with liquids, ice lollies, ice cream…anything cold really! We have all become addicted to Vimto, strawberries, cold showers and ice cubes. Can you believe it? We’re actually having a proper summer.

The only slightly challenging part is that the insect population seems to be taking sanctuary in our house. They are popping out from everywhere. You can be sat quietly one minute and running for your life, usually in circles around your front room, the next. I’m not a fan of spiders. Not quite to the blood curdling screaming levels but enough to make me jump off the sofa and start calling the other half.

There is now a myriad of plastic containers scattered around our house to capture them safely and let then out. The crafty buggers just find their way back though.

Of course I’ve been careful not to pass on this irrational dislike of spiders to Little Z. He was curious at first and then a bit uncomfortable at the spiders speedy scuttling. But now, through our awesome parenting this is the usual scenario you find in our house whenever a spider emerges:

[OH enters with massive Daddy Long Legs caught in plastic jug with only paper covering the top. Daddy Long Legs going slightly mental in valiant attempt to escape]

OH: “Look how big he is!”
[Daddy Long Legs flies around looking furious]

Me: [Instant reflex of putting legs on sofa goes into action]
“Get it out, get it out, get it OOOUT!”

Little Z: [Runs up to OH]
“Hi Woolly! Are you ok? What you doing? Are you going outside?”

Still, he’s not scared so we’ve succeeded, right?

Woolly and Tig
(For those that are’t subjected to CBeebies on a regular basis, Woolly is a furry bright blue spider that is the friend of a little girl called Tig.)

(Photo Credit: BBC CBeebies)

Post Comment Love
The Olivers Madhouse

1. Rhian @melbs July 22, 2013 / 12:49 pm

Am well jel of your lovely weather! I totally hate Hate HATE daddy long legs. They are worse than spiders for me, can’t stand them. Luckily they don’t seem to have them here just poisonous spiders – I’m happy with that give me poisonous spiders over daddy long legs any day. 🙂
    Enjoy the weather.

2. Nikki Thomas July 22, 2013 / 1:42 pm

Aw that is really cute! Yes I think if you can convince him that most of the insect population is the cast of cbeebies that will be a good thing, I wish someone had done that for me as I hate anything bug like and I really struggle this time of year.

3. Mum2BabyInsomniac July 22, 2013 / 2:10 pm

I always try not to scream when I see spiders so Iyla doesn’t develop a fear of them but I still usually end up doing it! There was on a towel in my bedroom the other day and I didn’t know what to do so I chucked the whole thing out of my bedroom window! x

4. Kim Carberry July 22, 2013 / 4:36 pm

Aww bless….
    I used to try not to scream but now my girls have figured out I’m scared they take great pleasure in bringing me bugs & spiders and chasing me around the house with them…

5. AtoZ Mummy July 22, 2013 / 10:28 pm

EEEEEEEEEK! I’m with you all the way on this one! Scary spiders!

6. jenny paulin July 23, 2013 / 8:12 am

i am the same Tas I am trying hard not to let me fear of spiders be passed on to my boys BUT it is VERY hard!!! x

7. Louise July 23, 2013 / 7:32 pm

Ahhhhh. Big man jumped out of the bath today over a spider and I somehow picked it up and put it out of the window! I am well impressed with myself!

8. Luci - mother.wife.me July 24, 2013 / 2:43 pm

Total empathy with you on this one – I’ve worked really hard to start liking spiders and it’s pretty much cured me of my phobia. But it all fell apart last week when the monster of all spiders appeared and jumped (yes jumped) around our hallway. Cue Ma Puce sitting the stairs crying and me, having failed to get it in a glass because my hands were shaking too much, having to call the neighbour round to get it out. #EpicMummyFail — though thinking about it, I should make this into a post!!!!

9. Coombemill - Fiona July 24, 2013 / 6:05 pm

It’s always hard not to pass on some of dislikes or phobias to our children but by the sounds of things your’s are ok so well done.

10. Sarah MumofThree World July 24, 2013 / 9:58 pm

Yeah, you’re right – he’s not scared, so you’ve succeeded! Luckily I’m not very scared of insects, so I haven’t got any fears to pass on/ hide. Sadly my daughter seems to have learned to be scared of them all of her own accord, though!

11. Actually Mummy... July 24, 2013 / 9:59 pm

Ah bless! Hopefully he’ll grow up thinking his mother is faintly ridiculous rather than with a horrible fear of bugs 😉

12. HonestMum July 25, 2013 / 11:48 am

Bahah! That made me LOL! I would have been screaming too!

13. Christina E (@Beadzoid) July 25, 2013 / 8:13 pm

Hehe! I know! We’ve had spiders, moths, flies, bumble bees, honey bees, daddy long legs, and even one of those long greeny-blue stick-like flying things that you get on bodies of water (we’re not near water!!!). What the hell?

I’m a catcher of things too generally – in a bid to set a good example (and I love bees – so cute, and of course endangered!). All except for ants when they tunnel into my porch. Out comes the spray – those *******ers can die!!! xx

14. Judith July 26, 2013 / 7:51 am

Well done! After passing on my fear of dogs I too have made a big effort to be cool and collected about spiders.

15. anna July 26, 2013 / 10:31 am

well done to him not being scared!! i like wooly but scared of the real ones and unfortunately my kids are too!
    #pocolo

16. Mummy of Two July 26, 2013 / 2:40 pm

LOL that sounds just like our house! I had to deal with a massive bee in the house last week, safe to say he was gassed to death with the fly spray for a distance then flung out the window! If all spiders looked like Wooly there would be no problem at all!

17. Charlie Hughes (The Mad Mummy Musings) July 26, 2013 / 10:13 pm

Ah spiders, don’t ya just luv em ?! We had one on the curtains the other day – huge it was ! I don’t do spiders but braved it with a glass and piece of card – I’m such a woos. We watch Woolly & Tigg sometimes – a Scottish spider :0)

18. thisdayilove July 27, 2013 / 12:29 am

I love that its woolly! My eldest is fascinated by all bugs and spiders and trys to pick them all up, ends up squishing most

Thisdayilove

19. older mum in a muddle July 27, 2013 / 5:58 pm

That made me laugh. A LOT. We have a creepy crawly situation too. It involves ants…. you will find Little A and I stamping on them at various moments throughout the day! X.

20. northernmum July 27, 2013 / 8:25 pm

we love woolly, hate spiders, *high five*

21. Karen July 27, 2013 / 9:17 pm

We’ve had flying ants, ants, weird looking Beatles, a few wasps, and some humongous spiders and we also get mozzies cos we’re so close to the Thames. I feel like an insect colony has moved in! I don’t mind spiders, hate ants though!!

22. Verily Victoria Vocalises July 28, 2013 / 4:07 pm

The weather has been beautiful :). So glad to hear that he doesn’t have a fear of insects – I’ve tried not to pass my fears on to Grace and it seems to be working! Thanks for linking to PoCoLo xx

23. www.santacruznetworks.com April 13, 2014 / 12:10 am

Hello there! This is my first visit to your blog!
    We are a collection of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a
    community in the same niche. Your blog provided us valuable information to work on.
    You have done a outstanding job!
    http://www.santacruznetworks.com recently posted…http://www.santacruznetworks.comMy Profile