Toddler Juggling

Before Little Z came along, the OH and I would spend Saturday mornings blitzing the entire house. Hoovering, laundry, mopping, bathroom cleaning. It would be all go for a few hours and the result would be a gleaming house.

That whole routine went out the window as soon as Little Z arrived home. We spent the first 6 months floating around like sleep deprived zombies and the house got cleaned in a blind panic as soon as we spotted someone at the window.

As he’s got older we’ve found he loves to help with cleaning. So we let him. This has helped juggle trying to keeping a house clean and trying to juggle toddler entertainment.

Obviously we don’t do this in a child slavery kind of way. We just let help with little things like letting him load the washing machine with clothes we give him, helping pass the pegs, letting him take the ketchup bottle in the kitchen and, more recently, helping me take bags in when the Tesco man arrives with the weekly shop.

There’s one more ulterior motive here too. Little Z gets very excited when the Tesco man arrives. As soon as the door is opened the poor man is bombarded with countless questions such as

“Hello Man!”
“Are you okay?”
“Look at my shoes”
“You like my shoes?”
“Where you going?”

Now it depends which delivery man arrives that particular day but their reactions can range all the way from stunned silence to throwing themselves into entertaining a very appreciative 2 year old.

So asking him to take in a loaf of bread, baby wipes, crisp packet provides a bit of relief for the more nervous delivery drivers.

It’s working really well so far. Except for the glitch we had today.

Little Z proudly presenting me with an egg in each hand wildly waving his arms around and proclaiming

“Look Mummy! Eggs!! I juggling!”

1. Coombemill - Fiona August 26, 2013 / 12:10 pm

Funny, at least you were handed them before the juggling began! We always have a cracked egg or two by the end of our morning animals feed run.

• Notmyyearoff August 26, 2013 / 2:42 pm

Ahh must be great for them to get them each morning! Z thinks they come out of a box 🙂

2. Nicola Robson August 26, 2013 / 12:22 pm

It’s lovely how they want to help, isn’t it? Mine argue now as to who gets to do the washing up, or carry things. Eggs, milk and glass items are always carefully monitored… although we’ve had a few juggled eggs from the chicken coop. I can just picture the panic on the delivery man’s face!

• Notmyyearoff August 26, 2013 / 2:41 pm

He looked very nervous and like he wanted to make a very quick escape!

3. Charly Dove August 26, 2013 / 1:10 pm

Such a brilliant post, it’s great he’s helping with the chores. I’m hoping for your sake he didn’t get to juggle with eggs! I’m sure little Z and POD were separated at birth! POD greeted the Tesco delivery chap with “Hello man” then “look I have a bogey”. Nice.

• Notmyyearoff August 26, 2013 / 2:41 pm

Haha!!! I am trying to imagine his face. They do sound SO similar!

4. Sadie Quinton August 26, 2013 / 2:26 pm

Brilliant post, loved the eggs at the end, my son bought me a box and dropped them at my feet, alas they didn’t make it x

5. Sadie Quinton August 26, 2013 / 2:27 pm

• Notmyyearoff August 26, 2013 / 2:41 pm

Oh no. I get the feeling I will have a moment like that in the not too distant future!

6. Jaime Oliver August 26, 2013 / 2:28 pm

things could of been so different if he had actually juggled with them! i so remember our saturday clean ups too!! .. i miss them! lol

Thanks for linking up with #MagicMoments

• Notmyyearoff August 26, 2013 / 2:40 pm

Hehe I know! He is going through a phase of wanting to juggle everything at the moment.

7. 3yearsandhome August 26, 2013 / 2:29 pm

Argh, Little Z, slowly put down the eggs and walk away! I bet you didn’t want to make any sudden moves towards him.

• Notmyyearoff August 26, 2013 / 2:40 pm

I thought he was going to throw them at me! I managed to get them off him. Then later wrote the post, took pics of eggs on the counter and about 10 mins later he’s got it in his hand again. Argh! They’re now in the fridge 🙂

8. Red Rose Mummy August 26, 2013 / 2:43 pm

Hahaha. Bless him. He sounds like so much fun.

9. Marta @ August 26, 2013 / 2:45 pm

So cute! Seeing curiosity unfold at this stage is the best! Hope the eggs were placed back safely…or better yet, used to make some cookies!

10. Erica Price August 26, 2013 / 3:40 pm

Yikes – hope you had a few left!

11. Charlotte August 26, 2013 / 3:46 pm

This post made me smile! 🙂 Hope your eggs survived. Bob used to love helping with the shopping delivery too but this morning the Tesco man scared her and she hid in front of Peppa Pig instead. x

12. Mummy of Two August 26, 2013 / 4:25 pm

I see nothing wrong with a little child slavery, my little boy loves helping with little jobs around the house and also loves it when we get a food delivery! As for the eggs, sounds like you just about avoided a full on disaster!

13. Claire toplis August 26, 2013 / 7:19 pm

Awwh xx hes going to be a right little star

14. LauraCYMFT August 26, 2013 / 8:07 pm

LOL what a little comedian! Glad you managed to save the eggs though!

15. Colette August 26, 2013 / 8:34 pm

Oh heck! Hope your eggs survived!
    Ben loves to help put the shopping away – takes AGES longer but at least gives him a sense of responsibility.

16. AtoZ Mummy August 26, 2013 / 8:44 pm

Hahaha love toddler juggling!!! Your Z sounds very similar to mine… I love the cheekiness of a toddler… and it’s still going strong here at 4 and a half 😉

17. Suzanne August 26, 2013 / 9:39 pm

He he I love it! Encourage this helpful nature from an early age – they grow out of the enthusiasm, trust me 🙁

18. Mummypinkwellies August 26, 2013 / 10:15 pm

Ha! Brilliant x

19. we3three August 27, 2013 / 6:51 am

Ah its so cute how they love helping! my z’s job is filling up/arranging the fruit bowl. He lives having his own lil job bless him! X

20. Louise August 27, 2013 / 9:21 am

We had an egg moment in tesco – look mummy dippy eggs! smash!

21. Jane August 27, 2013 / 9:52 am

How funny. It’s great that he likes to help. Ethan just looks at our tesco man and then decides to walk all over the food as I put it in the hall ready to take to the kitchen!

22. TK August 27, 2013 / 11:19 am

Aww well, your eggs were safe in the end! My little guy loves helping around the house too. Just like you, the first year of our lives was spent surrounded by clutter!

23. Sarah MumofThree World August 27, 2013 / 1:35 pm

Aaagh! That made me laugh.
    Stick with the helping with housework and cross your fingers he doesn’t grow out of it. My boys wouldn’t dream of putting something in the washing machine!

24. jenny paulin August 27, 2013 / 2:01 pm

ha ha this made me laugh – whenever we have the Tesco man come my two pounce on him and ask him sooo many questions and are like thanbking him for bringing the food like he knew what we wanted and just brought it over, out of the kindness of his heart lol
    luckily though we have not had any egg juggling…….yet!! x

25. Actually Mummy August 27, 2013 / 2:26 pm

Uh-oh! GG used to like unpacking the shopping too – but she would unpack completely, every mushroom out of its box, all the plastic wrappers off!

26. Katie @mummydaddyme August 27, 2013 / 4:05 pm

That is so cute and the bit about child slavery made me laugh! Mads loves to help clean too, we got her a little mini dyson which she loves. And she also says ‘hello man’ or ‘hello lady’ to people. We were in Pizza Express the other day and she shouted really loudly ‘MAN can I have some ice cream?’ I nearly died! x

27. Jenny @ The Brick Castle August 27, 2013 / 4:27 pm

Hahaha…thankfully we’ve NOT ever had that one. We did once have 6 yogurts disappear and 2 very smothered boys reappear….

28. HonestMum August 28, 2013 / 8:44 pm

Aw the ‘help’ those little monkeys give! Oliver is pretty good at assisting with chores, baking, cooking with us both, I just hope he stops trying to wallop his brother in the process!

29. Foz August 30, 2013 / 9:38 pm

Aww bless that made me giggle…. Glad he didn’t actually juggle them lol!