Dear Michael Gove – How You Could Be Amazing

Dear Mr Gove,

You don’t know me but I now keep a pretty close eye on you. Not in a stalky way, you understand. Its more in a concerned parent kind of way. Since my son is nearly 2.5ish and going to enter the wonderful world of education soon, I like to see what changes might be coming along that may affect him. And as the minister for education you have a pretty big influence over his future.

You’re very very very keen, I’ll give you that. And you obviously have a grand vision of your end goal. Educational utopia. Intelligent children running around delighted, fully educated, with the ability to explain something to even their nice but dim mothers. I’m imagining you probably even have a whiteboard for all your brainstorming. You remind me a lot of Tigger with all that energy, proposing change so
quickly. It scares me a lot, I have to admit. At this stage, Little Z is only 2.5ish and I am starting to become very unsure about what his school life is going to look like. Are you making teachers work till 5.30pm eventually? Will you shorten the school holidays? Will he have a lot more exams than we ever did? It’s all very confusing. I won’t even mention foodbanks.

The thing is, I think, changes in education need to be made at a steady pace. Changes that are trialled and tested properly and then rolled out across the country. So we’re sure we’re doing the right thing. And with the subject matter being children, its really important its done carefully, right? Tomorrows generation. Our future.

It just doesn’t feel like that at the moment. It feels all very revolutionary.

Having said that no one can deny you think outside the box. I wouldn’t be surprised if you sleep with a notepad besides your bed at night and write down visions that come to you in the night. And honestly speaking, some of the other MPs out there could do with a bit of your energy.

You know where I think you would be fantastic? As the minister in charge of renewable energy. What a challenge that would be. All those untapped areas of the country that could generate a source of energy for us all. All those waterfalls and running water just itching to be turned into hydro power. All those areas haven’t been discovered yet. Some as far as the seas and oceans. All that wind power! Away from Education.

You could be that person. The one who thinks outside the box. The one that finds the replacement to fossil fuels. The one area that could do with a bit of revolutionising! Sounds good huh? Huh?

I reckon all you’d need to do is suggest it to Mr Cameron? I’m not sure how a reshuffle works but throwing your hat in for it can’t cause any harm. Don’t ask, don’t get, right?

Good luck Michael!

Michael Gove

(Photo credit: Google and Telegraph)

Post Comment Love

1. TheBoyandMe September 12, 2013 / 12:44 am

Oh God, anything that gets the man off my back and making the teaching profession a living hell.

2. 3yearsandhome September 12, 2013 / 6:48 am

Oh I do like your ‘Dear Minister’ letters. They’re a real treat to read. And I guess I need to start paying more attention to the political scene over there.

3. Nikki Thomas September 12, 2013 / 6:59 am

Ha ha I love it! I think you should get into politics, you would be a natural. I hope Mr Cameron is listenIng!

4. Mummy Glitzer September 12, 2013 / 7:57 am

Ha ha! I love this. You are right though; he is VERY Tigger like and possibly more suited to anything but education! x

5. Claire Toplis September 12, 2013 / 9:10 am

Can’t they reshuffle him to Hogwarts or soemthing

6. Rhian @melbs September 12, 2013 / 9:26 am

Oh i really should pay attention especially if we end up coming back! X

7. HonestMum September 12, 2013 / 8:27 pm

Brilliant! You write so well lady-you should think about entering politics yourself. Loved Claire’s comment too-Hogwarts! haha! x

8. Stephanie September 13, 2013 / 7:10 am

I would like him to be shuffled out of the door. He is a scary man. Lots of power and no idea of what life is really like for the rest of us.

9. Pinkoddy September 13, 2013 / 7:21 am

You seem to know more about education than I do and I now have 4 boys in the system.

Great post and I agree with steady implementation.

10. Jaime Oliver September 13, 2013 / 1:14 pm

lol i love this post, it would be nice for these leaders to experence the real world before embarking on major change

11. Charly Dove September 13, 2013 / 1:16 pm

Ooh I like your political letters, quite a contrast to your other posts but very good. Have you thought about being a politician?! Great post 🙂

12. Mummy of Two September 13, 2013 / 8:06 pm

It is a scary thought isn’t it – I certainly feel like I have entered the unknown now my son is at school and I am concerned where his future education will take him. There was nothing wrong with school when I was young don’t know why we need so many changes!

13. Verily Victoria Vocalises September 14, 2013 / 6:59 pm

I always find your political posts interesting and highly entertaining! And this one of them – well done you 🙂 Thanks for linking to PoCoLo x