A Road Trip With A Toddler

I love road trips. Pre little Z we would pile into a people carrier and make our way down to London for many not so important reasons. If I think about it now Im not even really that sure I can rattle off a list of why we went so often. Any excuse for a big meet up really. Of course that all went out the window when Little Z came along and we “settled down”. Big meet ups are a lot less frequent now unless there’s a genuine big reason.

This weekend presented us with one such big reason so off we went, down South, for a reunion. With Little Z in tow. And of course there are a lot of differences between making a trip to London as a couple and one where you have a toddler with you. The main differences being:

1. Being very pleased at teaching the toddler how to say “London baby!”

2. Regretting it about half an hour into the journey after realising that phrase has already been repeated 35 times.

3. Spending the journey singing songs and plying the toddler with snacks.

4. Being very excited about the girls only meal that’s going to take place that evening. The CHILDLESS girlie meal.

5. Being slightly envious of the kids play areas as your OH later shows you what a good time Little Z had.

20131027-191812.jpg

6. Being very grateful for the exclusive girlie time nonetheless.

7. Trying and failing to get Little Z to eat a decent meal all weekend

8. Enjoying watching Little Z make friends with the children of the people you’ve been friends with since the age of 5.

9. Trying to get said toddler to sit still for a few minutes with little success.

10. Spending time persuading Little Z that the hotel we’re staying at is actually very nice and he really has no need to be sad or cry about wanting to “goooooo hooooooome!”.

11. Watching toddler take a shine to a random hotel guest at breakfast. Then having to rescue random hotel guest at the point where toddler isn’t letting him pass and instead is trying to run through his legs.

12. Being relieved that random hotel guest finds whole scenario funny.

13. Watching toddler try to follow same random hotel guest as he checks out.

14. Trying to figure out with OH why toddler liked that particular guest so much.

15. Driving home after a brilliant trip pondering whether Little Z is ready for central London yet.

16. Stopping for late lunch and watching toddler polish off a strawberry ice cream sundae at the speed of light.

20131027-193647.jpg

Post Comment Love
Wot So Funee?

1. Chelseamamma October 28, 2013 / 8:06 am

Glad you enjoyed your time with the girls and that play area looks amazing!!
    Chelseamamma recently posted…The A to Z of MeMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff November 2, 2013 / 2:05 am

Hehe I will have to try to record one although we did spend the rest of the weekend trying to make him unlearn it.
      Notmyyearoff recently posted…A Road Trip With A ToddlerMy Profile

2. sarah October 28, 2013 / 7:58 am

haha..the random guest thing made me chuckle. had that happen so many times!
    sarah recently posted…be courageous and brave.My Profile

3. Lilinha Espindula October 28, 2013 / 11:26 am

I totally identify with number #3 “Spending the journey singing songs and plying the toddler with snacks”. Little man loves singing songs and it seems that’s what we do most of our journeys, songs and snacks the whole way through! πŸ™‚ x
    Lilinha Espindula recently posted…Pedalling Family Fun at the Lake #MWactiveMy Profile

4. Dean October 28, 2013 / 11:32 am

I love road trips too, even though they can be a bit difficult with young kids! πŸ™‚ How cute, London baby! #magicmoments and #whatsthestory.
    Dean recently posted…Two of UsMy Profile

5. MummyTries October 28, 2013 / 11:43 am

It’s certainly a different experience with kiddies in tow, and fun in different ways. Sounds like Little Z had a whale of a time…especially following around the random πŸ™‚ #MagicMoments
    MummyTries recently posted…Meeting a newbie #MagicMomentsMy Profile

6. Jaime Oliver October 28, 2013 / 12:40 pm

this sounds like an interesting yet fantastic trip!!

so pleased it all went well and its even made me reconsider our trip to london with toddler in tow!

Thanks for linking up with #MagicMoments x
    Jaime Oliver recently posted…Bringing Back The Baking Be-Ro SyleMy Profile

7. Charly Dove October 28, 2013 / 12:47 pm

What a brilliant post Tas, sounds like it was an interesting road trip. And fun too! Love the idea of Z taking a shine to a random guest and trying to run through his legs – brilliant! Thank you so much for sharing with #whatsthestory
    Charly Dove recently posted…The Emerald LakesMy Profile

8. AtoZ Mummy October 28, 2013 / 3:12 pm

Haha love it! Totally agree that Road Trips just aren’t the same now. Hope you enjoyed your girlie meal πŸ™‚ London Baby!!
    AtoZ Mummy recently posted…Boys Boys Boys!My Profile

9. Jess @ Catch A Single Thought October 28, 2013 / 3:13 pm

It sounds like you had a really nice, if eventful, time in London. Love that you taught Z to shout ‘London Baby!’ it’s the exact kind of thing my OH would do πŸ™‚
    Jess @ Catch A Single Thought recently posted…Half Term On A BudgetMy Profile

10. WallyMummy October 28, 2013 / 3:19 pm

ha! That made me laugh – it is so funny when you teach them phrases you instantly regret as they annoy the hell out of you! teehee x Mine would demolish that Sundae in minutes too – it’s a toddler talent… even when they’re not hungry… LMAO xx
    WallyMummy recently posted…#LazyBabyMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff November 2, 2013 / 2:17 am

Hehe I know!! I would say this has been a lesson learned but I’ll probably do it again in the not too distant future
      Notmyyearoff recently posted…A Road Trip With A ToddlerMy Profile

11. Sam - Up All Hours October 28, 2013 / 3:25 pm

So sweet. I live 30 mins outside of London and taking the toddler into Central London is still a military operation!

Sounds like it was a huge success. Well done you! x

12. Sarah MumofThree World October 28, 2013 / 5:36 pm

Sounds like a fun, if slightly challenging, weekend. That ice cream looks delicious! I would be very nervous about letting my kids consume that when we were travelling. Am generally in awe of you for travelling so far with Z in tow!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…I’m going to the Big Parent Blogger Party!My Profile

• Notmyyearoff November 2, 2013 / 2:19 am

I think I’d be much more nervous if we were venturing into inner city London. We’ll save that one for next year.
      Notmyyearoff recently posted…A Road Trip With A ToddlerMy Profile

13. Mammasaurus October 28, 2013 / 5:48 pm

It’s like they inhale sundaes straight down in one isn’t it?! Glad to hear you had fun πŸ™‚
    Mammasaurus recently posted…Vintage: Brambly HedgeMy Profile

14. shahnaz October 28, 2013 / 8:24 pm

Oooh that ice cream looks delightful x Glad you had a fab girlie time…well deserved x As a Londoner I love central London x
    shahnaz recently posted…Movie MomentsMy Profile

15. Katie @mummydaddyme October 28, 2013 / 10:09 pm

Sounds pretty much like our road trips. That dance floor looks amazing though, Mads would love dancing on there. It is so crazy how much planning and preparation needs to go into road trips nowadays! ;0)

16. Workitmamma October 28, 2013 / 10:39 pm

That sundae looks good. It’s a whole new way of going away when you have children.

17. Erica Price October 29, 2013 / 10:28 am

I can see how you might get tired of ‘London Baby’. πŸ™‚
    Erica Price recently posted…At The GymMy Profile

18. Pinkoddy October 29, 2013 / 3:54 pm

Road trips with toddlers are magical aren’t they – certainly the kind of thing I’m going to miss when all mine leave home – must not lose sight of that this half term week lol
    Pinkoddy recently posted…Bonfire Night – Fun and SafetyMy Profile

19. MummaG October 29, 2013 / 5:00 pm

Sounds like a fun road trip, what is it with toddlers and running through the legs of random strangers, too cute πŸ™‚

20. Tracie West October 29, 2013 / 5:32 pm

It was so nice that you stopped by to leave a comment about my grandparents post. I for sure had to come visit you. Number 8 on your list I especially love. That’s just really neat. Nice to meet you. I’m for sure going to follow you. Looks like you must post some really great things with all your comments and strong following. I can’t wait. I have meet just recently a few new gals from England. It’s really nice.

Your new friend
    Tracie

21. Jude October 29, 2013 / 11:26 pm

So funny, I have totally been there – it’s impossible to get them to eat ANYTHING but ice cream the minute you get out of routine, but worth it nonetheless. Great post. #magicmoments
    Jude recently posted…Is it just me who gets emotional about first steps?My Profile

22. Tom October 30, 2013 / 2:14 pm

Sounds like a successful trip – much braver than us; we still won’t dare taking our two away anywhere! Glad you all had a good time and got back safely before the storm hit too. πŸ™‚
    Tom recently posted…I dream of sleepMy Profile

23. older mum in a muddle October 30, 2013 / 6:44 pm

That dance floor looks like a lot of fun. Glad you had such a great night out with your friends. And love that Little Z followed a stranger – was it the clothes that they wearing? X

24. Loubelle November 1, 2013 / 12:18 pm

What a lovely post. It really made me smile. What a a lovely weekend you all had. Our road trips are somewhat limited at the moment because of 2 little people who get very, very travel sick. Little Z sounds like a little treasure, it made me laugh that he took a shine to a stranger. So cute πŸ™‚
    Loubelle recently posted…Decorating candlesMy Profile

25. Ninja cat November 1, 2013 / 4:23 pm

Your writing is fantastic and hilarious

26. Kate Hurn November 1, 2013 / 6:32 pm

I would love to have heard a toddler say “London Baby!!” like Joey from Friends. Looks like you had fun πŸ˜›

xx
    Kate Hurn recently posted…The Wet BrushMy Profile

27. Not a frumpy mum November 1, 2013 / 6:59 pm

Sounds like a great weekend, childless girlie time and family time all rolled into one! Very jealous xx

28. TheBoyandMe November 1, 2013 / 8:44 pm

That ice-cream sundae looks ace. Yes I know, all you’ve said and it’s the sundae which catches my eye. Whenever I have free time away from The Boy and I see a photo of him having fun, I get insanely jealous that I wasn’t there to enjoy it as well, stupid isn’t it? Glad you had some Tas time, The Boy adores London. Next summer you should bring them both down to London for Britmums weekend and take him on the London Eye, Z would love it.

Popping over from blogsRus share thread.
    TheBoyandMe recently posted…365 Photographers: A Kilt & A CameraMy Profile

29. Charlotte November 2, 2013 / 12:04 pm

Love that he kept saying ‘London baby!’ πŸ™‚ Which play areas did they go to? Going to London with Bob at the beginning of next year and looking for ideas. x
    Charlotte recently posted…PuddlesMy Profile

30. Susan November 3, 2013 / 10:58 am

How funny! I often get little kids on the bus taking a shine to me. It is very funny as, not having had children myself, I have no idea what to say! lol!

31. Orli D November 4, 2013 / 2:46 pm

WHat a funny post. I remember when I taught mine to say “jubilee adventure”. Oh, how we regretted it later! #PoCoLo
    Orli D recently posted…Winter Top TenMy Profile