I love road trips. Pre little Z we would pile into a people carrier and make our way down to London for many not so important reasons. If I think about it now Im not even really that sure I can rattle off a list of why we went so often. Any excuse for a big meet up really. Of course that all went out the window when Little Z came along and we “settled down”. Big meet ups are a lot less frequent now unless there’s a genuine big reason.
This weekend presented us with one such big reason so off we went, down South, for a reunion. With Little Z in tow. And of course there are a lot of differences between making a trip to London as a couple and one where you have a toddler with you. The main differences being:
1. Being very pleased at teaching the toddler how to say “London baby!”
2. Regretting it about half an hour into the journey after realising that phrase has already been repeated 35 times.
3. Spending the journey singing songs and plying the toddler with snacks.
4. Being very excited about the girls only meal that’s going to take place that evening. The CHILDLESS girlie meal.
5. Being slightly envious of the kids play areas as your OH later shows you what a good time Little Z had.
6. Being very grateful for the exclusive girlie time nonetheless.
7. Trying and failing to get Little Z to eat a decent meal all weekend
8. Enjoying watching Little Z make friends with the children of the people you’ve been friends with since the age of 5.
9. Trying to get said toddler to sit still for a few minutes with little success.
10. Spending time persuading Little Z that the hotel we’re staying at is actually very nice and he really has no need to be sad or cry about wanting to “goooooo hooooooome!”.
11. Watching toddler take a shine to a random hotel guest at breakfast. Then having to rescue random hotel guest at the point where toddler isn’t letting him pass and instead is trying to run through his legs.
12. Being relieved that random hotel guest finds whole scenario funny.
13. Watching toddler try to follow same random hotel guest as he checks out.
14. Trying to figure out with OH why toddler liked that particular guest so much.
15. Driving home after a brilliant trip pondering whether Little Z is ready for central London yet.
16. Stopping for late lunch and watching toddler polish off a strawberry ice cream sundae at the speed of light.