You Turn Around

20140429-195525.jpg

You bring that little bundle home. He’s so new and tiny and somehow you instinctively know how to hold him even though you’ve never been able to hold other babies without making them cry. Ever.

You spend every other minute swinging from pure elation to feeling completely overwhelmed to utterly tearful. It’s hard and happy and amazing and scary and wonderful, all at once.

You realise you haven’t slept in forever and that you may have given birth to a baby that doesn’t through the night at all. You start to resemble a zombie and will start all conversations with how little you are sleeping.

You realise how fast time is passing by.

You start blogging to snap yourself out of the sleep deprived Groundhog Day and record things about your little one.

Little things. Big things. Funny things. Anything.

You record videos, so as not to forget. To record that memory forever. You text the OH constantly with constant status updates. You both find every little thing he does awesome and impressive. You constantly wade through each others phones to see any photos of your little one you might have missed.

You remember the first time he sat up, the first time he said Dada (instead of Mama), the first taste of food, the first time he climbed onto the sofa.

You remember all the cuddles and the teething and how you haven’t had a proper lie in in forever. You hope it will come one day soon. Hopefully.

You laugh about all the funny things he now says and smile at how his speech and personality is developing. You recount his antics to all your family members repeatedly.

You have all this recorded, in detail, all over the place. Thank goodness for technology. You realise you have thousands of photos. And you still have more to take.

And despite all the memories and the moments and the milestones you turn around and wonder, with genuine surprise…

“How on earth did he grow up so fast?”

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

Post Comment Love

1. Sarah MumofThree World October 10, 2013 / 10:17 pm

I’m still doing it now! How did I have a baby in my 20s and now I’m 40 and he’s nearly as big as me and his feet are the same size as mine? And how is my baby now in year 3?
    I look at photos from even a year or two ago and I can’t believe how much they’ve grown and changed.

• Notmyyearoff October 18, 2013 / 12:15 pm

Wow he sounds like he is going to be a tall boy!

2. Nikki Thomas October 11, 2013 / 6:47 am

Tell me about it! My eldest is turning 18 in a week and I have no idea where those years have gone. The important thing is to enjoy it while they are so young, which I think you are doing and at least you have all of the photos and videos to look back at which will be lovely for you when he is older.

• Notmyyearoff October 18, 2013 / 12:17 pm

So so true. It makes some of the tantrums much more bearable to know these moments will just flitter by!

3. 3yearsandhome October 11, 2013 / 7:06 am

Oh I know!! I have pretty much every moment documented and I’m still surprised how quickly they’re growing up. I had a real moment of heartache yesterday when I was sat at the dining table with the boys and the three of us were eating exactly the same meal. I just wondered how it got to the point where I can prepare the same thing and sit at the table and have a nice dinner with both of them. They’re babies!!

• Notmyyearoff October 18, 2013 / 12:18 pm

I know!! This is exactly what shocked me, I am recording so much and he’s still surprising me and growing up.

4. Rhian @melbs October 11, 2013 / 9:23 am

Oh yes I completely understand this. I can relate to all of that especially trawling round looking for photos you may have missed. In the blink of an eye they’ll be 18 – how scary is that!

• Notmyyearoff October 18, 2013 / 12:18 pm

I know, can you believe they’re going to be 3 soon??

5. shahnaz October 11, 2013 / 10:10 am

It funny I was only just looking a baby picture of my boy’s and now I look at them and think wow where did the time go x they grow to way to fast x #pocolo

• Notmyyearoff October 18, 2013 / 12:21 pm

I keep doing the same. I always think he looks all grown up then I glance back a few months later and reminicse about how young he looks!

6. mummymakescakes October 11, 2013 / 10:27 am

Lovely post and so true. My son didn’t say mummy for a very long time and I remember how happy I was when he finally said it (“bye bye mummy” because I was going to the shop). You blink and it’s gone. I was looking at my daughter today. 2 years old and talking to me about what she wanted for breakfast. It constantly amazes me, particularly having had a late talker the first time.

• Notmyyearoff October 18, 2013 / 12:22 pm

It’s amazing how time really does fly by doesnt it?

7. Jaime Oliver October 11, 2013 / 10:38 am

This is a beautiful post honey and your so right where does this time go?

• Notmyyearoff October 18, 2013 / 12:22 pm

I think it’s all the blinking we’re doing! Pesky blinking 😉

8. The Reading Residence (@ihavecards) October 11, 2013 / 10:47 am

Lovely post. And so very true! I have been at home with my kids for every single day, moment and milestone, and yet I’m still amazed to find them so grown up!

• Notmyyearoff October 18, 2013 / 12:23 pm

It has a way of creeping up on us doesn’t it?

9. Mummy of Two October 11, 2013 / 11:10 am

Such a beautiful post and so true. My daughter turns one next week and I really don’t know where the last year has gone!

• Notmyyearoff October 18, 2013 / 12:23 pm

Ahh Happy Bitthday to your lovely little girl 🙂

• Notmyyearoff October 18, 2013 / 12:24 pm

Probably where all the lost socks go and the Tupperware lids 🙂

10. Verily Victoria Vocalises October 11, 2013 / 12:58 pm

I can completely and utterly relate to all of this and I hope I can do it all again one day 🙂 A lovely post. Thank you for linking to PoCoLo x

11. Kriss MacDonald October 11, 2013 / 1:47 pm

Loved your beautiful post. When my children were tiny I couldn’t imagine them being bigger and then time passes…
    #pocolo

12. katie October 11, 2013 / 4:37 pm

It’s scary isn’t it! Time seems to have speeded up so much since i became a mum.

Beautiful post 🙂

• Notmyyearoff October 18, 2013 / 12:25 pm

Yes I keep thinking I have a baby and I don’t. My baby is going to be 3!

13. Orli D October 11, 2013 / 5:37 pm

It happens all the time. It happened to me just yesterday when I was walking home from school with my “babies”. One is eight. One is four.
    But they are still babies most days when I look at them 🙂

• Notmyyearoff October 18, 2013 / 12:27 pm

I reckon we’ll all be the same wont we? Ahh how fast time goes x

14. Sara (@mumturnedmom) October 11, 2013 / 6:30 pm

So true! My oldest is now seven and I still can’t quite understand where the time has gone 🙂 Each new stage is wonderful, but I do miss my babies xx

• Notmyyearoff October 18, 2013 / 12:28 pm

I agree, each stage brings so much fun of its own but I do miss the baby stage too where they would coo and giggle in your arms.

15. Super Busy Mum {Debs} October 12, 2013 / 8:40 am

Lovely post and the time goes by so fast that you are left dumb struck thinking where all those years went! Thank goodness for photos to look back on eh! x

• Notmyyearoff October 18, 2013 / 12:30 pm

So true! There should be an option for pausing time I think!

16. Charly Dove October 12, 2013 / 9:53 am

What a wonderful post Tas and so many memories. I wish I’d started blogging earlier, it will be amazing for you to look back at all your words, photos and video. Lovely 🙂

17. Mums do travel October 12, 2013 / 10:14 am

You’ve hit the nail on the head. We’re looking at 6th forms for my eldest and I can’t believe my baby girl is that age already.

• Notmyyearoff October 18, 2013 / 12:45 pm

Flies by soooo quickly doesn’t it? Good luck with the 6th form stage 🙂

18. MummyTries October 12, 2013 / 11:14 am

Oh hon I think you’ve summed up the thoughts of every mum on the planet with this fabulous post! I have to stop myself from saying ‘where is the time going’ as it was annoying my hubby lol! And you’re bang on – thank goodness for technology and being able to keep a record of their growth by various means #PoCoLo #MBPW

19. Katie @mummydaddyme October 13, 2013 / 10:26 pm

Aw this is a beautiful post Taz. I agree with it all and I constantly wonder how it is all going so fast. x

20. Jane October 15, 2013 / 7:42 pm

What a lovely post, I feel like I’m saying this everyday at the moment and it makes me feel quite sad.

• Notmyyearoff October 18, 2013 / 12:42 pm

It is sad although every stage is fun in its own way.

21. Kerrie McGiveron October 15, 2013 / 11:00 pm

This is a lovely post. It just feels like yesterday that my eldest daughter was born. I was thinking about this today – wondering whether we spent enough quality time together when she was a baby. I know we did, but I just miss those times. Now we have two new little babies and I plan on spending real quality time with all three because time flies, and before you know it they’re grown and you can never get the time back. x

• Notmyyearoff October 18, 2013 / 12:36 pm

I often wonder about whether we’re spending enough quality time too and I always hope we are building lots and lots of good time together.

22. older mum in a muddle October 17, 2013 / 6:03 pm

I LOVE THIS POST. So well written and evocative…. you nail those first few years so, so well. X

23. Jenny April 30, 2014 / 8:40 pm

WOW this is brilliantly written. Loved evert second of it and so true. It makes me so sad how fast the time is going and I never thought it could go any faster than it did when I had my first but somehow it is flying by even moreso with two. I guess because that makes me busier. I am so scared to miss a beat or that I won’t get to enjoy this milestone or phase long enough before the next one hits. soon I will turn around they will be off to school that frightens me that time goes like this. Robbing us somehow i feel. Thank you so much for linking up to Share With Me. #sharewithme Lovely post.
    Jenny recently posted…Me & Mine {April}My Profile

24. Becky May 1, 2014 / 10:13 pm

Brilliantly written, I can totally resonate with this! I so wish I has started blogging earlier, when I was pregnant with number one, as i’d have such a great written and visual record of everything. Now I’ve started, I don’t want to miss a second!
    Becky recently posted…ShardMy Profile

25. ghostwritermummy May 2, 2014 / 6:39 pm

And in a blink of an eye they are starting school! *HUGE sob*!
    Beautiful post. Looking forward to seeing you on Sunday
    x x
    #ShareWithMe
    ghostwritermummy recently posted…You should be twoMy Profile

26. Honest Mum May 4, 2014 / 9:57 pm

Stunning post, beautifully written with so much emotion-so true about the collecting of memories although in our case we need to print more-too many digital files! Thanks for linking up to #brilliantblogposts x
    Honest Mum recently posted…Official Modelling Shoot for Nova HarleyMy Profile

27. Loving life with little ones May 6, 2014 / 9:53 pm

I was looking at my girls yesterday thinking how much they have grown up, it is happening so fast, I do wish they wouldn’t grow so quickly #sharewithme
    Loving life with little ones recently posted…Once upon a time….My Profile