Sights in Langkawi – A Visit to the Cable Cars and Kilim Geo Forest

Langkawi is a collection of 99 very beautiful islands (104 when the tide is at is lowest) and located North West off the Malaysian coast. We spent the second part of our holiday at a resort in the main part of this island, in Kuah town. After a very busy few days in Kuala Lumpur, racing around to see absolutely everything, this island was the perfect place to rest our weary blister ridden feet. We had grand intentions to sit and do nothing. Absolutely nothing. Just relax.

That is, of course, until we saw the amount of places you could visit and the things you could do. We allowed ourselves a day of rest by running to the spa and eating too much at the very nice buffet, then booked a trip on the cable car and the Mangrove boat tour.

Langkawi pool

Langkawi food

Cable Cars

The cable cars in Langkawi are situated in the Oriental village and are on the South west part of the main island. They are well worth a visit as they give you a panoramic view about 700 metres above sea level. We happened to visit on a bit of a cloudy day so our view was restricted a bit but even with a heavy mist of white everywhere the views were pretty stunning.

langkawi cable cars 3

There are 3 stations in total and you can opt to pay a bit extra to miss the (potential) 2 hour queue. Having a toddler with permanent ants in his pants made the decision for us and we got to the top within about 10 minutes.

langkawi cable cars 2

There is an optional trek back down from the top station to the middle one but we decided not to with Little Z. I’m pretty sure he would have loved running down at full speed on his little legs but the thought of our nerves being wrecked by the bottom was a bit too much to risk. We enjoyed a somewhat peaceful descent with some hard core animation geeks that told us about various movies that had been filmed at the cable cars and the types of CGI used to boost the final result. We tried our best to keep up!

langkawi cable cars 4

Mangrove boat tour / Kilim Geo Forest

According to Tripadvisor the number one thing to do in Langkawi are the cable cars. In my opinion the boat tour of the Geo Forest was the best. It is jam packed with discoveries and things to see in their natural habitat. You have the choice to opt for a 1, 2 or 3 hour boat tour and I instantly wanted the hour one. Just one. One! Being on a speed boat with Little Z, albeit with life jackets, didn’t fill me with too much confidence but I was persuaded by all (OH, the tour guides and Little Z who decided to just copy the tour guides) that the 2 hour would be the perfect one.
I needn’t have worried. I clamped him down in the middle for the entire thing and the variety of sights and sounds meant he was interested and quiet (ish) throughout.

The tour takes you around the Kilim Geo Forest and your first stop is the bat cave. Filled completely with sleeping bats. You’re handed a torch and told not to talk within the cave as this can set the bats off flying in every direction. As the law of sod would have it, Little Z got to the middle of the cave and decided it was his turn to hold the big torch and the only way was to have a partial very loud instant meltdown which mainly constituted of cries of “MY HOLD IT! MY HOLD IT!”.

torch

I have never been so scared for the safety of my hair. I kept having visions of the bat flying scene in the Goonies until we’d safely exited. It turns out even bats make allowances for small vocal toddlers and attempt to turn around and go back to sleep.

He was equally taken by the fish farm which was our next stop and laughed as his Daddy fed a very hungry stingray that slurped around his hand. He was then brave enough to touch a blowfish and declare that it was “(Dis)gusting”. Thankfully the fish farmer found it funny.

Langkawi kilim 1

The boat carries on showing you crocodile caves (now empty) and take you to feed some eagles. Its a brilliant sight to see eagles in their natural habitat, swooping down for fish and back up to head to their homes in the mountains. Weirdly, there is something very peaceful about watching the whole thing, even in predatory acts.

The boat ride carries onto its last stage and take you around the Andaman sea so that you can see the amazing mini natural beaches and rock formations.

silent sunday

Kilim geo forest 2

Some of the rock formations are famous in their own right (such as “shoe island” as its shaped like a clog). The views of the Thailand coast are stunning and as our phones beeped at that point with a text message to say “Welcome to Thailand” I’m going to take that as we visited Thailand. Very very (very very) briefly.

”Tin
Wander Mum

PIN For later:

1. Mumof2.com November 25, 2013 / 7:44 am

That looks stunning and the sea so inviting! Well done for going in the cave with the bats! #MagicMoments
    Mumof2.com recently posted…Puddles = funMy Profile

2. Sarah MumofThree World November 25, 2013 / 7:52 am

That all sounds amazing and the photos are stunning. So glad you didn’t get attacked by bats!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…HavenMy Profile

3. Jaime Oliver November 25, 2013 / 9:12 am

oh my this looks like the most amazing place!!

thank you for linking up with #MagicMoments x
    Jaime Oliver recently posted…Magic Moments 25/11/13My Profile

4. Charly Dove November 25, 2013 / 11:11 am

Wow Tas what a fabulous post – sounds like you had the most incredible trip. So envious it looks beautiful and so many amazing things to do. Love the photographs! Thank you so much for sharing with #whatsthestory
    Charly Dove recently posted…Celebrating 70 yearsMy Profile

5. MummyTries November 25, 2013 / 11:27 am

Beautiful pics hon, really does sound like it was a fabulous trip! I visited Langkawi in 2004, but didn’t do nearly as much as you guys have packed in 🙂 #MagicMoments
    MummyTries recently posted…Co-habiting #MagicMomentsMy Profile

6. blueberetmum November 25, 2013 / 2:20 pm

Amazing place but I am not sure I would like to touch a blowfish… What I know is that I so would love to go to Malaysia on holiday!
    blueberetmum recently posted…Autumnal HaikuMy Profile

7. 3yearsandhome November 25, 2013 / 8:38 pm

Oh my goodness, I’m sold! I must visit too. It looks fantastic although I’d be tempted to secret a second torch about my person in case one of my boys wanted to hold one.
    3yearsandhome recently posted…A letter to the big manMy Profile

8. shahnaz November 26, 2013 / 11:09 am

Wow what a totally awesome trip…it looks fantastic x
    shahnaz recently posted…School TripMy Profile

9. Oana79 November 26, 2013 / 2:42 pm

Beautiful pictures, looks like a great holiday! Linking in from magicmoments.
    Oana79 recently posted…Romanian Apple PieMy Profile

10. HelpfulMum November 26, 2013 / 10:03 pm

Wow, what an amazing trip and your photos look fabulous. I would love to go to Thailand one day!

11. Expatmammy November 27, 2013 / 5:49 pm

Oh my god those cable car photo have just brought back terrifying memories, looks like your having a fun time
    Expatmammy recently posted…Big dayMy Profile

12. Cheryl November 30, 2013 / 1:40 am

What beautiful photos. Such a lovely place to visit. #CountryKids
    Cheryl recently posted…ClearingMy Profile

13. Coombemill - Fiona November 30, 2013 / 2:00 am

What a wonderful place to visit, so different to here and fascinating too. The boat trip looks great fun and wow to getting into the bat caves. A perfect Country Kids post from an amazing holiday.
    Coombemill – Fiona recently posted…Country Kids from Coombe MillMy Profile

14. Hayley @hayleyfromhome November 30, 2013 / 9:47 pm

Wow, it looks absolutely stunning! My husband won’t even go in the bat cave at Chester Zoo so I think you were very brave to go in, children pick the best moments to let loose! x #countrykids
    Hayley @hayleyfromhome recently posted…Our Autumn DaysMy Profile

15. bentley November 30, 2013 / 9:56 pm

Here are four that we can

16. Claire November 30, 2013 / 10:10 pm

What an amazing place, beautiful pictures and the cakes looks so great too 🙂
    Claire recently posted…Run, Run, Run…My Profile

17. Mums do travel January 7, 2014 / 7:17 pm

The boat trip sounds amazing and your pictures are great!

18. Nicola January 8, 2014 / 1:27 am

Really enjoyed reading this. I’ve only ever gone to Langkawi and sat on a sunlounger so next time I’m looking forward to taking the kids on some of these activities!
    Nicola recently posted…Have You Got Pre-Holiday Tension (PHT)?My Profile

19. Ruth October 18, 2016 / 2:49 am

These islands are full of adventure! I like places were you can connect with nature and learn about the local flora and fauna. I wouldn’t like to have a close encounter with bats (or with their poop, yuck). But other than that, I will go on the cable car and boat.
    Ruth recently posted…Eastern Sierra: Bishop CreekMy Profile

20. Pitterpattertravelers October 18, 2016 / 4:58 am

It’s so hard to just stop and rest isn’t it? I’m amazed you were able to hold off frum such wonderful adventures for an entire day. I think I would have been signing myself up for everything immediately!. The boat ride sounds amazing. That’s our favorite type of vacation interaction too. #mondayescapes

21. Jo Addison October 18, 2016 / 10:14 pm

This brings back memories as we visited Langkawi pre kids, and went on both the cable cars and Mangrove Tour. I agree with you that the Mangrove Tour is more interesting though. I’d love to take my kids there. #MondayEscapes

22. Deb Cheng October 25, 2016 / 9:18 pm

Great post on Langkawi! When I was travelling through Hong Kong, many of the local expats talked about visiting Langkawi – and they would know best, right? Beyond the more popular destinations in South East Asia, such as Thailand and Bali, Langkawi looks like a beautiful place to visit 🙂
    Deb Cheng recently posted…Why You Should Cruise Anthem of the SeasMy Profile

23. Elizabeth (Wander Mum) October 26, 2016 / 4:58 pm

I loved Langkawi and would definitely go back – making sure I do the boat trip and mangrove tour next time .. And hopefully have no toddle meltdowns. Loved the cable car though and the express queue was money well spend, we were with a toddler too! #citytripping

24. Cathy (Mummytravels) October 27, 2016 / 2:41 pm

Lanka with us somewhere I’ve always fancied visiting after seeing some of Malaysians cities and the mangrove tour looks fascinating. I have a bit of a soft spot for bats -kids really pick their moments. I remember my daughter as a baby being angelic right until we stepped in the middle of a (big) cave where the echoes ensured her sudden yells reverberated properly… #citytripping
    Cathy (Mummytravels) recently posted…A walk in the woods: Montseny Natural Park, SpainMy Profile

25. stephanie June 24, 2017 / 9:58 pm