Visiting The Petronas Towers

We’ve been in Malaysia for the past week and, so far, it has been amazing. We’ve spent the first few days in Kuala Lumpur taking in all the sights and eating way too much Beef Rendang and Laksa curry.

One such amazing sight are the Petronas twin towers.

I have to admit that, in the last, when I’ve seen photos of these towers they always look like they’ve been photoshopped a fair bit to make them look a lot more impressive than perhaps they are in reality. I was completely wrong though. They are a really spectacular sight and, whilst impressive in the day, they are even better at night when lit up. Boasting 86 floors, they are currently the tallest twin towers in the world.

The first few floors act as a shopping centre including high street, quirky stalls, designer stores and various food courts. We decided to pop to a couple of shops and ended up spending half a day there.

The middle floor and upper floors are offices and the entire places is a hive of workers rushing to and from the buildings.

To visit the top floors and observation deck you are best booking a ticket in advance at least the day before otherwise its up to a 4 hour wait in the queue; not too advisable with a toddler.

The tour is about an hour and the guides lead you to both the interconnecting sky bridge between the towers and the 84th floor which is the highest floor accessible by the public. The top 2 are used for mechanical purposes.

Both the bridge and the 84th provide brilliant panoramic views of all of Kuala Lumpur. There are numerous aids and advanced touch screens give you information about key landmarks around you. The guides are very knowledgable and toddler friendly. Pushchairs aren’t allowed upstairs to getting Little Z to stand still for long periods of time was understandably challenging for him. He opted to flout the rules and run around after a while instead.

If you ever visit Kuala Lumpur it is well worth the visit.

Little Z visibly enjoyed it, particular being free of his “car” pushchair. When asked the same, however, his response was one that filled us with particular joy after 24 hours of waiting for him to say the words….”I’m hungry. Can I have some spaghetti please?”

Other little facts about the Petronas towers

Each towers was constructed by a separate company. Tower 1 by Hazama Corporation and tower 2 Samsung engineering.

They are currently the tallest twin towers in the world.

They were designed by Argentine architect Cesar Pelli and are named after the national oil company.

Just because you can see your hotel from the Petronas towers doesn’t mean you’ll be able to walk there within minutes. It’s highly likely you will be walking in circles for over half an hour whilst the hubby insists it has to be “just over there” and you huffily hobble along with with what feels like 5 fresh blisters.

Men don’t stop to ask for directions in any country. Ever. Ever.

Toddlers don’t take heed of the instruction that they shouldn’t run around. Be prepared to run after them in circles as they excitedly run around the miniature centre-piece replica of the towers in the observation deck whilst his pushchair has a well earned rest in the store room on the ground floor.

20131116-232245.jpg

Post Comment Love

1. Sarah MumofThree World November 18, 2013 / 7:25 am

I thought this looked stunning on your photo yesterday. I’ve never heard of it before, so really interesting to read about it. I remember having the same difficulty with getting to the Eiffel Tower with my husband – it looked so close, but we couldn’t actually get to it!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Sponsored silenceMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff November 25, 2013 / 9:18 pm

Haha I’ve been to the Eiffel Tower and remember walking towards it thinking it must be really close by. Size can be deceptive cant it?

2. Kriss MacDonald November 18, 2013 / 8:00 am

Great post on the towers! How strange that separate companies constructed each tower – never knew that! I’ve been to Malaysia a couple of times but never made it to Kuala Lumpur. The towers sound like worth a visit if ever do get there … but like you I”ll ask directions.
    Kriss MacDonald recently posted…My Christmas card photos thanks to the VictoriansMy Profile

3. Jaime Oliver November 18, 2013 / 10:51 am

OMG they look amazing!! although being terrified of heights i do have to say that just looking at it from a picture makes my stomach turn!

Thanks for linking up and sharing with #MagicMoments x
    Jaime Oliver recently posted…Magic Moments 18/11/13My Profile

4. Charly Dove November 18, 2013 / 11:36 am

Wow Tas they really do look spectacular, absolutely love the photo. Sounds like they definitely worth a visit and you’re having the most amazing time there. Enjoy the rest of your stay, thank you so much for sharing #whatsthestory
    Charly Dove recently posted…Hole in the wallMy Profile

5. blueberetmum November 18, 2013 / 2:06 pm

Ah – I would love to go to Malaysia! I love the picture of the towers and agree about men and directions! Had a similar situation when went to Korea… 😉
    blueberetmum recently posted…Sometimes…My Profile

6. TheBoyandMe November 18, 2013 / 2:14 pm

Wow, what an amazing trip; a definite once in a lifetime opportunity. I remember seeing these in the film ‘Entrapment’ and was impressed then.
    TheBoyandMe recently posted…365 Photographers: OneDad3GirlsMy Profile

7. Sara (@mumturnedmom) November 18, 2013 / 3:04 pm

The towers really are wonderful! As I said on your Silent Sunday, my husband and I went to Malaysia on honeymoon, and after 2 weeks on Penang (beautiful!) we spent a few days in KL. We could see the towers from our hotel (they really are stunning at night!) and we went up and did the tour too! Thank you for bringing back some lovely memories for me 🙂 Great post! #MagicMoments #WhatstheStory
    Sara (@mumturnedmom) recently posted…#OneWeek – Autumn 2013: familyMy Profile

8. Lou's Lake Views November 18, 2013 / 6:12 pm

Great to here the story behind your Silent Sunday yesterday. You are right they look so spectacular, it’s hard to believe they aren’t photoshopped!
    Lou’s Lake Views recently posted…Morocco Safari – The last LegMy Profile

9. Faded Seaside Mama November 18, 2013 / 11:41 pm

They are truly spectacular! I am ashamed to admit that while I’ve heard of them, I didn’t know anything about them. Sounds like your son did very well at making the most of his “free” time but deserved it after the trek to get there! Enjoy the rest of your time there! #WhatstheStory
    Faded Seaside Mama recently posted…Fireside Tales with GranddadMy Profile

10. Mary @over40andamumtoone November 19, 2013 / 11:31 am

Funilly enough the Petronas Towers get a mention in my post this week too. I spent Christmas Day there a few years ago, admiring these beautiful structures #WhatstheStory
    Mary @over40andamumtoone recently posted…Guardian AngelMy Profile

11. jenny paulin November 20, 2013 / 12:33 am

its such an impressive building isnt it and one that you instantly recognise from films !! what a view there must be from the top too! amazing and i am pleased you are having such a wonderful holiday x x
    jenny paulin recently posted…Sticky Toffee Apple BreadsticksMy Profile

12. Nurture My Baby November 20, 2013 / 2:17 am

This is a fantastic photo! They look very impressive.Very interesting to learn about them, how funny that they were built by two separate companies!
    Nurture My Baby recently posted…The Gallery – Nature PhotographyMy Profile

13. Mummytries November 22, 2013 / 8:09 am

Sounds like its been an amazing trip, you lucky thing!! I’m off out to lunch today, and already know i’ll be ordering Penang Laksa – one of my all time favourite dishes 🙂 #PoCoLo
    Mummytries recently posted…The Dreaded B Word #PoCoLoMy Profile

14. Suzanne November 22, 2013 / 1:14 pm

Wow, that’s quite amazing! Well done for still blogging despite being on holiday and for managing to take a toddler to any sight seeing locations! Hope you’re having a great time x
    Suzanne recently posted…‘Sexting’My Profile

15. Christine November 22, 2013 / 1:28 pm

Amazing photo. I got to see them (kind of) just after they were built, but it was a foggy/smoggy day so couldn’t really see the top.
    Christine recently posted…REME Museum of Technology, BerksMy Profile

16. Colette November 22, 2013 / 8:19 pm

Gosh what an incredible photo – I hadn’t heard of the towers before and was thinking more along the lines of Harry Potter when I read “patronus” 🙂
    Colette recently posted…Theraline Caesarean Belt – ReviewMy Profile

17. Erica Price November 23, 2013 / 8:06 am

They really are spectacular aren’t they? Particularly lit up at night. Sounds like an amazing holiday, but I do recognise some of those family dynamics.
    Erica Price recently posted…How Chocolatey Your BranchesMy Profile

18. Becky November 23, 2013 / 7:35 pm

Sounds wonderful!

19. Honest Mum November 23, 2013 / 10:59 pm

Oh wow, these looks insanely beautiful and LOL to men never asking directions, in any country ever! Why, I ask you?! Thank goodness for us, sensible women huh! What a wonderful holiday you’ve been having! Think you’re now back so welcome home!
    Honest Mum recently posted…Perfect Christmas Party Dresses from ZalandoMy Profile

20. Actually Mummy... November 25, 2013 / 11:00 pm

We were there several years ago and found KL to be massively impressive. I’m afraid that’s the extent of what we enjoyed about Malaysia though. I’ll be interested to read more about your travels to see where/if we went wrong!
    Actually Mummy… recently posted…Wedding photos – our beautiful familyMy Profile