A Visit To Kuala Lumpur

Our first stop on holiday was Kuala Lumper, the capital city of Malaysia. After 24 hours of travelling we were pretty tired and just wanted to crawl into bed. We stayed at the Shangri La and our exhaustion was briefly distracted by the views of the Petronus towers from our room. After almost a 12 hour recovery considering of sleep and lots of breakfast we decided the best way to see everything with Little Z would be to do the hop on hop off bus tour.

hop on hop off

We’ve always enjoyed these in a lot of cities and find its the best way to zip around the city and pick what you want to see a bit more close up.

Kuala Lumpur, or “KL” as its known by the residents there, is a very busy, ultra modern and cosmpolitan, with residents and tourists flocking there from all over the world. It has a fairly large financial hub at its centre and then cultural and various ethnic hotspots surrounding it. It gives you a chance to go from wandering around modern shopping centres and then step into places such as China town and Little India. Both are very vibrant communities and you are hit by the smells of foods and sounds of local music as soon as you enter. Both small areas but both worth a visit.

DSC_0029

I was a bit surprised at first at how many Australian holiday makers were about but then it’s only about a 7 hour flight so perfectly understandable.

We met one particular sweaty (and friendly) Aussie on a hop on off bus that happened to be carrying little hitchhiker a in the fork of cockroaches. I was blissfully unaware until the OHs OCD radar went on red alert and he banned us all from sitting down. He pretty much leaped onto a seat and protectively scooped up Little Z. Little Z enjoyed shouting whenever he saw “a BABY ONE!!”. The friendly sweaty Aussie didn’t bat an eye lid and happily crushed them with a periodic swift stamp of his shoe as he explained to us the difference between Malaysian humid heat and the dry heat of Sydney. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the OH leap off a bus complete with toddler and pushchair.

Besides the impressive Petronus towers we visited the parliament, the craft centres, the national mosque and the museums. The latter two are very large with lots to see including artefacts from different countries, some as far back as 8AD.

mosque collage

There was the option to do a two hour “street food” tour. It sounded amazing and so so tempting. The tour guide would lead you through all the best local areas and you got to sample authentic Malaysian “hawker” cuisine at countless stops. Unfortunately with a little toddler in tow we didn’t think a 2 hour stretch working our through food would be the best idea. Maybe one day, if we happen to visit again.

satay kuala lumpur

We settled for visiting the Palace and the craft centre instead. Whilst the palace is quite a grand building we were disappointed to learn that you can’t go inside. People were a bit surprised that we would even think about asking the question and even more surprised to learn that our very own Queen of England lets us visit both Buckingham Palace and Windsor castle.

palace kl

crafts centre

It was the first time we saw some electric storms and they are loud! The sky goes dark within a few minutes and the hot rain comes down hard. We were lucky to never get caught in the peak of one. Strangely the heat of the rain makes it a comforting storm rather than a meek drizzly depressing one like the ones we’re used to and they disappear after about 10 minutes as if nothing happened to the sun.

Apparently Singapore is only an hours flight from KL but after 3 days of touring at a face pace and then moving into Langkawi it started to feel a bit much to attempt to crow bar in another trip. So we’ll just have to arrange to go back one day. Maybe.

Petronus towers

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

MummyTravels

1. Sarah MumofThree World December 2, 2013 / 7:30 am

It looks stunning and sounds like you had an amazing time. I’d have freaked at the Aussie on the bus too!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…MissingMy Profile

2. Jaime Oliver December 2, 2013 / 10:17 am

What an amazing place, i have to admit this is on my bucket list to visit

thanks for linking up with #MagicMoments xx
    Jaime Oliver recently posted…Magic Moments 2/12/13My Profile

3. Luci - mother.wife.me December 2, 2013 / 11:02 am

Loving seeing all your holiday pix – much more than I usually enjoy seeing holiday pix!!! But eeuuwww cockroaches, I think I’d have made a swift exit from the bus!!! #MagicMoments

4. Pinkoddy December 2, 2013 / 2:42 pm

What an amazing holiday. I bet you can laugh about the bus experience now but I imagine it was rather stressful at the time for your OH. Do you think you will go back again soon?

5. MummyTries December 2, 2013 / 2:49 pm

Fab photos as always. I’ve said it before, but I’m so impressed with how much you guys did in such a short time! #MagicMoments
    MummyTries recently posted…Who inspires you? #MagicMomentsMy Profile

6. Super Busy Mum {Debs} December 2, 2013 / 5:01 pm

What a stunning place to visit and with a little one too. Your brave! How was he during the 24hr flight? Your photos are gorgeous and I hope you guys make it back to do the food tour, sounds amazing! #magicmoments x
    Super Busy Mum {Debs} recently posted…A New Family traditionMy Profile

7. Charly Dove December 2, 2013 / 6:28 pm

Fabulous post Tas, sounds like it was such an adventure there. The bit about the Aussie and the cockroach made me laugh. I lived in Australia for a couple of years and I couldn’t master stamping on cockroaches! Hope you all had a wonderful trip, welcome back Thank you for sharing with #whatsthestory

8. LauraCYMFT December 2, 2013 / 9:05 pm

The place looks amazing. I love the colours! You don’t really get buildings like those here do you?
    LauraCYMFT recently posted…What’s the Story? #14My Profile

9. Katie December 2, 2013 / 10:35 pm

So interesting reading about KL, it looks and sounds like such a vibrant place. Would love to visit, you lucky things 🙂
    Katie recently posted…{The Ordinary Moments} #16My Profile

10. Nikki Thomas December 3, 2013 / 7:29 am

Wow Tas, those photos are stunning! It isn’t somewhere that I would have thought of visiting,but you make it sound amazing. Love the idea of the food tour, I can imagine that is fantastic but I agree that it isn’t ideal with young children.
    Nikki Thomas recently posted…Breakfast with Father Christmas at Blooms in CheltenhamMy Profile

11. Oana79 December 3, 2013 / 9:15 pm

Looks exotic and the weather so much better than in the UK at the moment :-).
    Linking in from Magic Moments.
    Oana79 recently posted…Pregnancy UpdateMy Profile

12. 3yearsandhome December 3, 2013 / 10:30 pm

It looks and sounds uh-mazing! I am loving your travel posts but continue to be very jealous of your adventures. I’ve always fancied a trip to Singapore but will possibly do it as a stop off on the way to Oz to see my family.
    3yearsandhome recently posted…Plastic rings, fickle fish and rubbish jokesMy Profile

13. Ruth December 5, 2013 / 2:17 pm

Wow! Looks amazing! Brilliant colours! 🙂

14. sarah December 7, 2013 / 9:11 am

It looks so stunning! wow!

15. Coombe Mill - Fiona December 7, 2013 / 11:35 am

You must have had a fantastic time, what a wonderful place to visit so rich in culture. The storms sounds amazing to experience and like you I’m not sure I would like the cockroaches either! Thanks for linking up and sharing your holiday fun with Country Kids.
    Coombe Mill – Fiona recently posted…Country Kids from Coombe MillMy Profile

16. Upeksha September 13, 2016 / 10:39 pm

I visited KL a very long time ago, and would really like to go again. I love the idea of the food tour. #citytripping

17. pc September 14, 2016 / 6:21 am

Hello from a fellow KL kid! Nice to know that you enjoying KL:).

18. Elizabeth (Wander Mun) September 16, 2016 / 8:57 pm

Good idea to get the hop on/off bus. The last time I went (with our daughter) it was so hot we didn’t do much so would have been good to see a bit more of the city. We stayed at the Shangri La too! I really like KL & Singapore is really worth a visit. I’ve done it by coach before although it takes a few hours. The food tour would have been awesome. I love the cuisine there. #citytripping

19. Cathy (Mummytravels) September 16, 2016 / 11:55 pm

I think the Hop on hop off buses can be great with kids – such a good way to get your bearings and see a lot of the city, although the food walk does sound tempting. Cockroaches are one of the things that does make my skin crawl though too! Thanks for linking up with #citytripping
    Cathy (Mummytravels) recently posted…Holiday health: getting travel vaccinations onlineMy Profile

20. Agness of Fit Travelling January 25, 2017 / 9:28 pm

Kuala Lumpur is amazing. Its towers and the mixture of the old and new are exceptional! Great post, Tas!