Dearest Little Z – At 3 Years and 3 Months

Hello Little Z,

You’re started Pre-school! Hurrah! Hurrah! I was absolutely dreading it and, if I’m honest, I didn’t want to send you at all but after a lot of going back and forth I figured it would be good to build your confidence a bit. It started off ok ish but I didn’t love that first day very much at all. I think you do secretly enjoy it now but you cry almost every time I drop you off and sometimes when I pick you up too. It’s only a couple of days a week though so it’s not too bad and we still get to spend a lot of time together. I hate that its eaten into our only 2 days together but I’m going to make the most of the holidays when they come and maybe we’ll have some sneaky days out where I won’t send you. You love your keyworker, as do I, and the staff are really lovely and patient. You are slowly settling in and besides the one time you tried to lock us both into the bathroom I think you are reluctantly accepting that this is something you’re going to have to do.

I really hope to, one day soon, listen to how you love it there and don’t want to come home and how your keyworker is fantastic. Of course I’ll be on my blog that day quicker than lightning moaning about how you prefer her over me but nonetheless I want you to love it.

I’m secretly very happy now that you’re classed as a “late leaver”. It means you’re not starting school until 2015 and that’s well and truly fine by me!

You have somehow developed the ability to talk even faster and more than you used to and you’ve become such a little bossy boots. Apparently you’re not meant to say “bossy” anymore though but that does fit you to a tee right now. Your favourite phrase is “Listen to me” and then what follows is a big lecture about how we should let you do something (that you usually shouldn’t be) and how we should “share share” and of course you should go first. It was your Grandmas birthday at the weekend and you instructed her on exactly when and how to blow out her candles and waved dramatically at your much older cousins (that helped her) for interfering. You get away with it because you’re the youngest but I’m not sure you will for very long at pre-school.

You’re still very shy around new people but that didn’t stop you whipping out all your Thomas the Tank engine underpants from the dryer and proudly displaying them to Daddy’s friend that had come to visit. He wasn’t quite sure how to react and let out a nervous laughter. Your little chest puffed out with pride and you emphasised how they had Thomas on the front. I think we need to take you to see the big Thomas steam trains that will be out on Easter weekend. I think you’ll really love it!

Your uncle, my little brother, is getting married this year. The venue is all booked and its all very exciting. Its going to be a lot of fun organising it all. And probably stressful. And funny. And hectic. All the family under one roof again for a few days. Its definitely going to be crazy. You’re going to love it!

Soooo….until next time. Mwah!

Dearest Little Z 3 years and 3 months

Wot So Funee?

1. Sarah MumofThree World March 17, 2014 / 6:28 am

I always love reading about Z’s progress. Can just imagine him saying ‘listen to me’. The pants coming out of the tumble drier for Daddy’s friend really made me laugh!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Sport Relief and meMy Profile

2. Mummypinkwellies March 17, 2014 / 8:41 am

Awww, they’re growing up aren’t they? I want to stop the clock, just for a moment! Lovely post x
    Mummypinkwellies recently posted…Silent SundayMy Profile

3. Katie March 17, 2014 / 9:16 am

Hahaha! I love how he proudly displayed his thomas pants! My 20 month old little boy did the same with my knickers from the washing basket when the MIL came round once going “Oooo!”….

I miss Charlie when he’s with his Grandparents so I think we’ll both cry when he starts Nursery! I need to learn to stop worrying so much, I really do! xx
    Katie recently posted…A magical & nostalgic day out at Temple NewsamMy Profile

4. Charly Dove March 17, 2014 / 11:51 am

A wonderful post as always Tas. So great to hear it’s all going well there – sounds like Z is settling in well. I love that he says “listen to me”, always highly entertaining. POD says that and more recently “don’t touch me I’m breakable”. Lovely post, thank you so much for sharing with #whatsthestory
    Charly Dove recently posted…Capturing the sceneMy Profile

5. Amy March 17, 2014 / 12:54 pm

My twins would only wear Thomas pants for the whole first year old potty training. It became hard to find enough pairs!

Good job to your little one though, sounds like he’s doing well

6. Iona@redpeffer March 17, 2014 / 6:25 pm

Am loving those Thomas underpants! I do wish my son (who’s the same age) would be even remotely interested in toilet training, but he’s stubborn;y ignoring the whole idea so far! I love the uninhibited way little children share everything too πŸ™‚
    Iona@redpeffer recently posted…I am my mumMy Profile

7. Sonya Cisco March 17, 2014 / 9:44 pm

Glad he is settling in well. Syd is too, I think! We have no tears when he goes in, but he sobs with relief when I pick him up! I am looking forward to a time when there are no tears at all! We are about to embark on potty training, will have to look out for some Thomas pants, and hope Syd is just as proud of his!
    Sonya Cisco recently posted…Desert Island DiscsMy Profile

8. Tarana March 18, 2014 / 12:20 pm

He’s so sweet! I’m sure he’ll get used to the routine soon enough, and it’s a good thing he has time before he starts school.
    Tarana recently posted…The city of my childhoodMy Profile

9. Tory Knowles March 18, 2014 / 1:31 pm

It’s a magical age isn;t it – and so much fun. I wish I could press pause sometimes and take it all in for a while. x
    Tory Knowles recently posted…Sk:n – tattoo removalMy Profile

10. Louisa March 18, 2014 / 2:58 pm

Z is a month older than my youngest. They seem to grow and change before our eyes at this age. Fran is not starting nursery until September. I am dreading it! She will probably love every second of it.
    Louisa recently posted…Making pom pomsMy Profile

11. Jess @ Along Came Cherry March 18, 2014 / 6:54 pm

Cherry loves her key worker so much that she draws her pictures to take in and this morning gave her a daisy! It’s really sweet, and good as I like her too. And Cherry is so bossy! I’m not really sure why it’s suddenly become a bad word to use?! But it’s the best word to describe 3 year olds! x
    Jess @ Along Came Cherry recently posted…My Top Five Places To Go In The South-WestMy Profile

12. Ruth's all sorts March 18, 2014 / 7:38 pm

Haha, so cute. My Andrew has the same pants and is an avid Thomas fan, just like his Daddy (called Thomas). We’ve also just got a preschool place confirmed for Sept (should have been after Easter but we’ve just relocated so missed out on a place), so this has been on my mind too this week.
    Ruth’s all sorts recently posted…To the steering wheel shop – wot so funee?My Profile

13. older mum in a muddle March 18, 2014 / 7:51 pm

Bless him!!!!! They start to get to so bossy and demanding after they have turned three, and he will get used to nursery in time :o). X

14. 3yearsandhome March 18, 2014 / 9:08 pm

I use bossy and feisty to describe CK because he really, really is πŸ™‚ Love the underpants. I’ve had to scour the shops for junior versions of the ones my husband wears. Thankfully, M&S do a good copy of Calvin Klein ones – I draw the line at potty training in designer underpants.
    3yearsandhome recently posted…When the weatherman says it’s rainingMy Profile

15. Nikki Thomas March 19, 2014 / 5:13 am

Aw bless him!! I love that he whipped his pants out, that is so cute and at least he didn’t pull his trousers down (in the middle of the street) like L did once to show off his new pants. It sounds like nursery is going really well and yes, there is always a part of you that will find it hard when they really settle in, but they always want to come home to you, even if they are tired and grumpy.
    Nikki Thomas recently posted…The random ramblings of a four year oldMy Profile

16. Rebecca March 19, 2014 / 8:12 am

It’s such a big transition but will make starting school easier in the long run. I’m sure you’ll all settle into your new routine soon.
    Rebecca recently posted…How to Make an Ice Castle for ElsaMy Profile

17. Gemma Mills March 21, 2014 / 3:27 pm

Awww – underpants! I can’t wait to buy Dexter these. So fed up of this nappy game now. It’s great to hear he’s really developing his little personality now. Nothing wrong with a hint of bossiness as it shows he has pride in himself.
    Gemma Mills recently posted…Day 1: Operation #GetBabyOutMy Profile

18. Emily March 24, 2014 / 4:24 pm

Love your letters to your little man, such lovely memories to keep.

Congratulations to your brother too! xx
    Emily recently posted…Ready, Steady, Carve..!My Profile