An Adventurous Day in Istanbul – Part 1: The Sultan Ahmed Mosque

One place that’s always been on my list to visit is Istanbul, and more precisely, the Sultan Ahmed mosque. We had big plans to visit last year but, unfortunately, the protests at Taksim Square in the heart of Istanbul meant that we were advised not to go. So this year we were determined to make a go of it. Various circumstances meant it was going to be a pretty long day trip starting at 4am and ending around 1am the next day. With a 3 and a half year old. Still, we hoped for the best and carted with lots of kiddie snacks plus a stroller we set off on what we hoped would be an amazing day.

One flight transfer later we arrived in a overcast but warm Istanbul, got picked up by our tour guide of the day and packed into a coach to visit the first place on our itinerary; the Sultan Ahmed mosque.

Sultan Ahmed Mosque Istanbul

Sultan Ahmed Mosque Istanbul

The Sultan Ahmed mosque is also known as the Blue mosque and was built in the early 1600s at the height of the Ottoman empire during the rule of Ahmed the First. It incorporates some Byzantine Christian elements taken from the Hagia Sophia (First a church, then a mosque and now a museum). It’s also known as the Blue Mosque as blue tiles dominate the interior of the mosque. The mosque is the first of two in Turkey that boasts 6 minarets; the other being in Adana. Historically, the call to prayer would be done from the top of one of these minarets. This isn’t done anymore as the call to prayer is transmitted through microphones and speakers across the city but the minarets still encompass and frame the mosque making it stand out as one of the most iconic and memorable building in Istanbul. Before visiting I’d heard a lot about the 6 minarets (a “traditional” mosque” would have up to 4) and couldn’t really understand why 6 would make it any more significant or spectacular. It was only when I had walked a fair distance away from the mosque that I saw how the additional two columns gave the mosque a unique and stunning presence that has lasted for more than 5 centuries. Unfortunately I couldn’t get far enough to get a good photo of the 6 minarets but did manage to get the central 4.

Whilst the exterior of the Sultan Ahmed mosque is impressive, the interior is breathtaking. If I’m honest, I wasn’t expecting it to be as nice as it was. It’s understandably common to find a sometime spectacular structure slowly submitting to the power of decay and time and whilst the Sultan Ahmed mosque gives away its age through the era of its construction, the inside is so pristine and intricate it leaves you standing at the doorway overwhelmed at the detail and the thought that has gone into producing something really beautiful.

The decorative tiles include the designs of over 50 tulips, flowers and fruit and verses from the Quran verses are incorporated in gold into all the archways and the inner domes. There are 200 stained glass windows, the central dome outlined by 28 windows and all other domes by 14 windows. The combination of bold colour, intricate verses and light from the windows somehow comes together gracefully giving a magnificent feel to the grand prayer hall.
There are hundreds of lamps on the chandeliers and, at one time, were covered in gems and gold. This is no longer the case but the numerous lights still add to the overall grand aura.

sultan ahmed mosque

sultan ahmed mosque

Sultan ahmed mosque istanbul

Sultan ahmed mosque istanbul

Sultan Ahmed mosque

Sultan Ahmed mosque

Sultan Ahmed Mosque

Sultan Ahmed Mosque

Sultan Ahmed Mosque

Sultan Ahmed Mosque

Sultan Ahmed mosque

Sultan Ahmed mosque

There’s a requirement to remove your shoes and cover your head before entering the mosque and you’re given a plastic bag for your shoes and a scarf if you don’t already have one with you. It doesn’t have many ramps though so we had to carry Little Z’s stroller up the stairs. There aren’t many though and there are helpers about if you need assistance. If you do happen to visit with a small child then don’t put them down in the mosque to have a wander when its busy. The mosque has a massive stream of visitors outside of prayer times and it would be pretty easy for a small person to suddenly run into the crowd and get lost. The Other Half has visited before and has seen the mosque go through very quiet times too so Saturday (when we went) may be busier due to it being the weekend. There are places to leave strollers outside and its pretty safe to do so.

Whilst we were there the main prayer hall had been cordoned off but there was a section to one side for anyone that wished to pray. Entry is free and I found there were a lot of tour guides dotted about all very knowledgeable about the structure and history of the mosque. (Obviously its good to keep an eye on your own tour guide once he starts edging out of the building). If you’re visiting Istanbul, and doing a flying trip, I’d definitely recommend a visit here.

Pin for later….

The beautiful Sultan Ahmed mosque in Istanbul

Wander Mum

1. Iona@Redpeffer June 23, 2014 / 11:15 am

Beautiful building, I’d have spent hours admiring that!
    Iona@Redpeffer recently posted…Growing upMy Profile

2. MummyTries June 23, 2014 / 11:53 am

Oh wow Tas it looks utterly incredible. Still can’t believe you were there the exact same time as our friends. Think I’ll be adding Istanbul to our bucket travel list 🙂 #whatsthestory
    MummyTries recently posted…Money Saving Confessions #SavingShameMy Profile

3. Coombe Mill June 23, 2014 / 11:56 am

What a beautiful building, the decoration inside sounds so intricate as well.

4. Merlinda Little (@pixiedusk) June 23, 2014 / 4:15 pm

Whoa! I am an Architecture Graduate and I studied this in my History Class. It is so amazing! I want to go here. To see the details, the intricate designs. Well I really cant so thank you for sharing photos of you trip. They are awesome! #WhatsTheStory
    Merlinda Little (@pixiedusk) recently posted…Solstice SnapshotsMy Profile

5. LauraCYMFT June 23, 2014 / 9:52 pm

Wow, gorgeous photos. Looks like such a beautiful place to visit.
    LauraCYMFT recently posted…Bike RidingMy Profile

6. Louisa June 23, 2014 / 9:59 pm

Absolutely stunning building, just breath taking #whatsthestory

7. Suzanne June 24, 2014 / 12:27 pm

We went to Istanbul for the day and absolutely loved it. Unlike your trip there it was 40 degrees and burning sunshine. This kind of marred it for the kids but I was quite blown away by it. Lovely to meet you at the weekend. x
    Suzanne recently posted…The Best and Worst of Britmums Live 2014My Profile

8. Emma T June 25, 2014 / 9:14 am

Wow, so stunning. I always think old churches here look amazing, but the detail in the mosque is stunning.
    Emma T recently posted…Living Arrows 25/52My Profile

9. Jenny June 25, 2014 / 10:33 am

Wow that looks absolutely breath takingly beautiful. I am in awe of your photos. Sounds like a great time and I look forward to each part of your trip. Great to break it up. So jealous. The detail in the building are just astounding. I love travelling and this is a place I have always wanted to go! Amazing. Thanks for linking up to Share With Me #sharewithme
    Jenny recently posted…Flaky Apple-Cinnamon Square RecipeMy Profile

10. Hayley (@hayleyfromhome) June 25, 2014 / 10:38 pm

Wow, it looks totally stunning, especially the inside. What an amazing place to visit. I bet you are glad you took the time to go and see it!
    Hayley (@hayleyfromhome) recently posted…Those MomentsMy Profile

11. Sam June 26, 2014 / 1:54 pm

Wow I can’t believe you went to Istanbul for a day trip! I went there about 20 years ago we buildings are stunning but I was probably too young to really appreciate them properly then. Thanks for sharing your pictures. X #sharewithme

12. Charly Dove June 26, 2014 / 9:32 pm

Oh my word what an amazing building! The outside looks fantastic but the detail inside is just fabulous. It must have been a super long day especially with Z but good but the sounds of things. We’ve not had a look round Instanbul, we must fit it in one day. Great post, thank you so much for sharing with #whatsthestory (and lovely to meet you at the weekend too) x
    Charly Dove recently posted…Alphabet Project | G is for grottoMy Profile

13. hannah June 27, 2014 / 3:08 pm

Such beautiful architecture, it really is a delight to see post like these! x #sharefriday

14. older mum in a muddle June 27, 2014 / 7:10 pm

Oh my goodness, what a breathtaking building – truly beautiful. Well worth the long trip I imagine.

Ps It was so lovely to finally meet you at Britmums! I’ve been laying low this week – I’ve been so tired. X
    older mum in a muddle recently posted…A Small History in BreakfastMy Profile

15. Erica Price June 28, 2014 / 7:37 am

Stunning pictures! I would really love to go. I’m not sure we’d have been brave enough to attempt a day trip that long, so I’m in awe of you.
    Erica Price recently posted…Week 25 of 2014My Profile

16. Christine June 28, 2014 / 7:59 am

I went to Istanbul many years ago and your post has just reminded me to add it into my list of places that I’d like to go back to one day (when I’m rich!). Great photos, glad it exceeded your expectations.

17. Sarah MumofThree World June 28, 2014 / 10:06 pm

Wow, it is absolutely stunning! It looks amazing from the outside, but the inside is incredible. I’d say it’s almost as impressive as the Segrada Familia in Barcelona – and that is serious praise!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Project 365: Weeks 25 & 26My Profile

18. @unpreparedmum June 29, 2014 / 10:29 am

Excellent pictures mine were rubbish when we went! I haven’t dared visit Istanbul with my son yet!
    @unpreparedmum recently posted…Silent SundayMy Profile

19. ghostwritermummy June 30, 2014 / 6:12 am

Wow that is some building! And what stunning photos too! I’m glad you go to go, after wanting to for so long. My one destination I’ve always wanted to go to is New York. Not sure I would brave it with 4 kids though so might have to stick a pin in that one for a little longer!
    x x
    ghostwritermummy recently posted…Return of The Bump: 20 weeks (and the anomaly scan)My Profile

20. Champagne and Chutney June 30, 2014 / 8:45 am

Fab photos! I have always wanted to visit the Blue Mosque and looking at these photos makes me want to book a holiday now! Hope you had a good holiday!

Rahul
    Champagne and Chutney recently posted…Sticky Soy ChickenMy Profile

21. Mary @ Over 40 and a Mum to One June 30, 2014 / 8:22 pm

I was working at an exhibition in Istanbul 5 years ago and managed a brief visit into the city one afternoon, and visited this stunning mosque – beautiful.
    Mary @ Over 40 and a Mum to One recently posted…Guru Gramps on displayMy Profile

22. Urska - Slovenian Girl Abroad January 10, 2017 / 2:18 pm

I would love to finally properly visit Istanbul, but with all the troubles Turkey is currently facing and the terrorist attacks, I think I will postpone planning my trip there for some time. I just hope the situation will get better soon.

23. Lillian Small January 10, 2017 / 10:15 pm

we thankfully had the chance to go to Istanbul about 2 years ago as well before the unrest they currently face. What a shame because the history and architecture is so precious. #citytripping

24. Kat January 10, 2017 / 11:19 pm

How did you ever manage to drag yourself away? There’s so much to see in there… #citytripping

25. Cathy (Mummytravels) January 11, 2017 / 9:25 pm

It is such a stunning building – I’ve been on each of my visits, and I never tire of looking at the tiles. It’s a lovely atmosphere as well knowing it’s still used for its original purpose, especially with Hagia Sophia and the Topkapi Palace nearby which are now museums. #citytripping
    Cathy (Mummytravels) recently posted…City Tripping #59My Profile