How to put suncream on someone else’s kid

20140609-005832.jpg

It’s been a few days now since we ran away to Turkey for a very nice long break and I’ve reached the point where I don’t know what day it is, I’ve taken too many photos of some delicious looking desserts and I’ve eaten far too much.

It’s pretty blissful to just spend some quality time with Little Z and the Other Half and I have an alarm on my phone to remind us we are off to Istanbul tomorrow. So excited. Little Z prefers the little pool and the countless slides and “sandpits” (his name for every bit of beach or sand he sees) and will even volunteer to put his own suncream on. Every 10 minutes if I let him. He then runs off and plays with the children of the other guests and won’t stop till he’s ready to collapse into an instant nap.

There is one kid here that keeps catching my eye. His little shoulders always looking a bit too pink, giving away the tell tale signs of impending sunburn.

This is driving me to distraction slightly. Of course the little kid may suffer from a skin condition and everyone is A-ok in the sun block and skin protection world but, as I sit here on the lounger reading my book and running back and to the little pool because Little Zs watering can lid has come off (again!), I was thinking of genius ways I could put suncream on someone else’s kid. Should he need it of course.

1. I could just tell the other mother to just put some bloody suncream on her kid. This would only work if she spoke English though and I’m not sure if she does or not. I could use simple words and gesture wildly. It could work. Maybe.

2. Do an impromptu mime show with my factor 50 without trying to scare her. I could make it look like an advert and have my sun kissed hair blow in the wind. Except my hair is doing that weird humidity thing and there isn’t a breeze today.

3. Crawl unnoticed under all the sun loungers to said child and get close enough to spray him. I would need to be camouflaged. I only have beach towels to aid me. It may work.

4. Slather Little Z in excess suncream then instruct him to run and give other child a big hug taking care to reach all areas including behind the ears and back of the neck. Little Z tends to run in complete opposite directions to those instructed. A slippery child running at full speed may be interesting.

5. Slather *myself* in excess suncream whilst hovering millimetres from said mother. Keep glancing over till she makes eye contact. Hand over suncream instantly proclaiming “Oh sure, of course you can use it. Keep
It. For your child, especially”.

I may just try all of them. If you don’t hear from me again look for the other mother. She may have clobbered me.

Disclaimer: These tips are a guide only. No responsibility will be taken by this blog should you choose to follow all the tips and proceed to get busted and / or end get into a full blown sun cream fight with the other mother / have a sun cream-off / both fall into the pool during the tussle / end up on Facebook from someone recording it all etc.

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

1. Sarah MumofThree World June 9, 2014 / 6:59 am

This post made me laugh. I would be just the same. I get worried if I see kids doing things which seem unhealthy or dangerous, but of course it might be fine for them – as you say the kid might have a skin condition, who knows?
    Enjoy the rest of your holiday! See you in less than two weeks 🙂
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Daughter’s dayMy Profile

2. Susan Mann June 9, 2014 / 10:24 am

lol I love this hon and I would have tried to do the same. I think I’d go with the spray the whole area and hope it lands on the kid. x
    Susan Mann recently posted…#SilentSunday 23My Profile

3. Charly Dove June 9, 2014 / 10:46 pm

Brilliant! I hope you’re having the most wonderful time – or had if you’re back! Turkey is fabulous, we’ve been to Kalkan before, just lovely. I’d go for Z doing muchos hugging x
    Charly Dove recently posted…Poppy magicMy Profile

4. Hayley @hayleyfromhome June 10, 2014 / 12:40 pm

Picturing you in excessive suncream now!, amazing Hope you are having a lovely time, I keep seeing all your photos and feeling very jealous of it all, especially all the desserts!
    Hayley @hayleyfromhome recently posted…A Little Bit LatelyMy Profile

5. Potty Mouthed Mummy June 11, 2014 / 8:02 am

This has made me chuckle. I vote for the spray as you go by approach ha ha.

It’s not great though, can’t believe she hasn’t noticed him turning pink! #sharewithme x
    Potty Mouthed Mummy recently posted…My Constant FearMy Profile

6. Iona@Redpeffer June 11, 2014 / 1:01 pm

I’m definitely with the spray as you go by approach! I’d be like that too by the way 🙂
    Iona@Redpeffer recently posted…If I were super mumMy Profile

7. Mummy Hargreaves June 11, 2014 / 2:13 pm

This really did make me chuckle, I would be exactly the same as you, although you sound a lot calmer than I could be! Personally I would wait for an opportunity when the children are playing together, introduce yourself, pop cream on Z and offer yours. Good luck in stealth mode x
    Mummy Hargreaves recently posted…Premature BirthMy Profile

8. older mum in a muddle June 11, 2014 / 6:27 pm

Can we have a film of your mime please! Can’t believe you’re on holiday and blogging – hope you are all having a fab time! X
    older mum in a muddle recently posted…Tears in WelshMy Profile

9. reclusivefox June 11, 2014 / 6:31 pm

So what did you do in the end? I think I would have put some on my child while trying to catch the eye of the mother and then handed her the bottle…or told my child to hand the bottle over to the other child to share together perhaps…

10. Jess @ Along Came Cherry June 11, 2014 / 8:15 pm

There is nothing worse than seeing sunburnt kids. I think 4 sounds like a great plan! Enjoy the rest of your hol x
    Jess @ Along Came Cherry recently posted…Three Year OldsMy Profile

11. Sam @ And then the fun began... June 11, 2014 / 8:45 pm

Ooh there is nothing worse than seeing skin (on anyone, let alone a child!) turning that alarming shade of pink in hot sunshine! I say go for the commando stealth application – if nothing else it would keep us all entertained! 🙂 X #sharewithme
    Sam @ And then the fun began… recently posted…E is for…Eyes #alphabetphotoMy Profile

12. Sara (@mumturnedmom) June 11, 2014 / 8:51 pm

I vote for suruptitious spraying as you walk past… Or get Z to stand beside him and ‘accidentally’ get him in the process 🙂 Made me smile to think of your miming it! #ShareWithMe
    Sara (@mumturnedmom) recently posted…What’s my name?My Profile

13. Jenny June 11, 2014 / 10:05 pm

I just spurted my coffee out in the coffee shop. Dear me, you have me in stitches. I love it because I can imagine myself being infactuated myself on holiday sat there watching someone else child as well burning in the sun and trying to figure out ways to get her to use it on her own children. Maybe wrap a bottle with a bow, hand to her, give her the thumbs up point to her child and RUN!!! eeek so funny. Hope you figure out something for that poor little one. Bless. Too funny though. Thank you so much for linking up to Share With me. #sharewithme
    Jenny recently posted…Share With Me ~ wk 19My Profile

14. Merlinda Little (@pixiedusk) June 13, 2014 / 7:46 am

Okay so I know this itch to put sun cream on kids. I live near the beach and I just want to do that too! Dont they know how bad it is when they do that (walk under the sun w/o SPF!)!!!! I wish we can do it straight forward but we dont want to be intrusive. I just know your pain. #brilliantblogposts
    Merlinda Little (@pixiedusk) recently posted…Word of the WeekMy Profile

15. Karen Hannah June 13, 2014 / 10:51 pm

You are funny Tas. Maybe if little Z makes friends with him you could call them both over and say ‘I’ll just top up his sun cream while I’m doing ours!’ to the mother!
    Karen Hannah recently posted…#SummerFun: LollibopMy Profile

16. Catherine (@FrmLittleThings) June 14, 2014 / 8:27 pm

Haha I can imagine you casually walking past him then “whoops my finger slipped!” Suncream explosion all over the poor kid! XD
    Catherine (@FrmLittleThings) recently posted…Marshmallow Krispie Cake RecipeMy Profile

17. Loving life with little ones June 16, 2014 / 1:50 pm

Your post made me giggle! I’m not sure if i would do anything except silently think ill of the other mother until she slapped some factor 50 on her child! #sharewithme
    Loving life with little ones recently posted…An alternative Father’s day cardMy Profile