Dearest Little Z – At Age 3 and 7 Months

Hello Little Z!

So (pre) school is almost out for summer and I can’t wait. It means we can start going lots of fun places and hopefully basking in the sun a bit. I still need to plan stuff but I’m sure it’ll be fun. You’ve finally finally settled in and run in and wave me off. Which is typical timing really as I’m not wondering if you’ll end up taking a step back with the 7 weeks holidays. Hopefully not.

You’ve not quite clicked that your lovely keyworker has left last week. You think she’s on holiday. I didn’t really know how to tell you she’s not coming back so I’ve just carried on lying. She’s gone off to become a Nanny for a family not too far away from us. I can just imagine her as her a very Northern Mary Poppins calling all her wards “spud”. I remember you greeted your Daddy and I with a “hello Spud!” for about two weeks after you picked it up. There’s a chance she may come back after the summer holidays if things don’t work out but I bet she will be fantastic. She is a natural with children and they are a very lucky family to have her. Your new keyworker is really lovely too and asked me a hundreds of questions about you. I realised later that she was trying to get to know you inside out very quickly and that made me feel a lot better about the big change.

Something irked me a bit this week. You ran to that little boy I don’t really like very much and excitedly told me he was your friend. He promptly turned around and huffed he didn’t want to be your friend. What??! How very dare he. There is a part of me that’s secretly glad about this as he has a potty mouth but you were so sad I wanted to pick him up by his ankle and give him a telling off. Of course that would have been pretty mean of me and I wouldn’t really but I was very aware that the mother lion side of me unleashed itself very quickly. It reminded me of the film “This is 40” when the mum goes over the top telling a teenage boy off for picking on her daughter. I think that’ll be me. Obviously I am going to have to rein it in and just let some of these things happen as its the real world and you need to learn. But Bleurgh bleurgh.

You decided over the last few weeks that wee-ing in the loo was boring and wee-ing on the floor was more you. Thankfully the accidents are now at a minimum. Its taken a bit of lying and threats of giving your Thomas underpants to your cousin to do the trick. Apparently a potty training regression is normal in boys but having your heart in your mouth constantly watching out for wee or that desperate cross legged wee dance is pretty draining. Hopefully this time its been nailed for good.

It was our wedding anniversary this month and you were a bit confused with the cards and presents being exchanged. You kept asking why people got married. We eventually asked if you wanted to get married and you thought it was a hilarious thing and then shook your head at us as if we’d asked the craziest thing ever. Ah well 🙂

You keep saying you need go to on holiday again. Your Daddy says you sound just like me. You’re doing such a good job even I have to tell you to cool it down every so often. You natter non stop though so its either listening to this or nursery songs. Maybe we will after your uncles wedding. We best start planning. And if Daddy is good then we could take him too! You tend to get distracted by a toy or Topsy and Tim every so often so it may take a while.

So until next time….Mwah!!

Dear Little Z 3 years and 7 months

photo 93142f35-6d39-479f-b3de-d94dbca68162_zps58499252.jpg

1. TalesofaTwinMum July 14, 2014 / 2:20 pm

Awe that’s really sweet. I can relate to a lot of this. My boys haven’t really grasped that we’re leaving and it’s so much easier to leave it and not keep reminding them as they love their pre-school and their keyworker so much. I’m going to miss them too so will be in floods of tears on Friday when they graduate. I’m afraid the wee on the floor thing is a boy thing – even at 4years 8 months we still get it as they’re always so distracted by things that they never actually look where they’re aiming! xx
    TalesofaTwinMum recently posted…Review: Butlins Just for Tots break with insider tips and tricksMy Profile

2. Izzie Anderton July 14, 2014 / 4:19 pm

Here’s hoping you make the most of 7 weeks off with little Z. Sounds as though you’re going to have a fabulous summer together.
    Izzie Anderton recently posted…The Blog SpotMy Profile

3. suzanne3childrenandit July 14, 2014 / 7:32 pm

What a lovely post! I remember one of mine reverting back and suddenly doing the whole weeing on the floor thing. I think they just get bored and think “I know, let’s try this for a laugh!”. Sorry to here Little Z’s keyworker is leaving 🙁 Love that he started calling you both ‘spud’! He sounds like such a little character x
    suzanne3childrenandit recently posted…It Ain’t Over til the Fat Lady SingsMy Profile

4. Louise July 14, 2014 / 7:43 pm

Beautiful post. We haven’t quite reached the weeing on the floor stage yet – something to look forward to when potty training starts! Hope you have a wonderful summer 🙂
    Louise recently posted…Black & White Photography Project Week 1My Profile

5. Louisa July 14, 2014 / 7:47 pm

What a beautiful letter to your son. He is a month older than my daughter so I can relate to your mother lion instinct. If anyone ever hurts her feelings I will roar!
    Louisa recently posted…A sunny day for a town carnivalMy Profile

6. LauraCYMFT July 14, 2014 / 8:35 pm

Aww great to hear he has finally settled in. I like his style about the holidays. I love going on holiday but my OH isn’t always so keen. Maybe I could borrow Z for a few days?
    LauraCYMFT recently posted…Funny Things My Kids Say #32My Profile

7. Jenny @ The Brick Castle July 14, 2014 / 9:13 pm

My other half can’t be bothered with holidays either – maybe it’s a bloke thing? 😀
    I too sometimes imagine picking up rude and nasty children by the ankle and giving them a shake – I think it’s frowned on though ;p
    Jenny @ The Brick Castle recently posted…My 500th Post….Meningitis 1 year on.My Profile

8. Katie @mummydaddyme July 14, 2014 / 11:33 pm

A lovely post as always. It is hard to see them sad or upset by things isn’t it? I find that my anger and emotion comes out a lot quicker when it comes to my girls but you have to bottle it up sometimes don’t you? It makes me sad that we won’t always be around to fight their battles. x
    Katie @mummydaddyme recently posted…Our Holiday to Rhodes- Part One.My Profile

9. Coombemill July 14, 2014 / 11:42 pm

Lovely post, it is hard when friendships are forming but they all get there. As for holidays well of course I’m a fan!
    Coombemill recently posted…Lemon Drizzle CakeMy Profile

10. Jess @ Catch A Single Thought July 15, 2014 / 12:15 pm

I don’t think the mother lioness ever leaves us! When Meg tells me things at school about children laughing over something she did, I have to really stop myself marching down there. It’s all part of growing up but I don’t think it is easy to watch as a parent. Sounds like he has really settled into nursery though, I would just keep talking about it, reminding him that he is on his holidays now but will go back later and that way it won’t be too far from his mind 🙂 #magicmoments

11. Emma T July 15, 2014 / 9:55 pm

Aw, this is lovely.

Oh dear about the toilet. Blooming boys. We’ve been doing the toilet watch too – he’s always good about taking himself off but this weekend we were in a village hall for an event,and I was volunteering so wasn’t thinking about it, and someone else pointed out that N was fidgeting. She was right, and he wouldn’t have known where to go without me!
    Emma T recently posted…Musical Exploration with children – linky 4My Profile

12. Seychellesmama July 16, 2014 / 5:35 am

Ahhh this is lovely!!! Love that he “needs’ another holiday that’s brilliant haha!
    Shame his key worker left but sounds like the new lady is lovely, definitely reassuring that she’s asking lots of questions to get to know him better…she’s obviously cares and that’s really lovely to know!!
    X
    Seychellesmama recently posted…Our trip to the UK (things are coming together)My Profile

13. Potty Mouthed Mummy July 16, 2014 / 6:00 am

Love these letters.

I very much have those urges too – the lion mum. There is a bully boy at rugby tots who pushes all the children down and the mum does nothing grrrr.

Anyway, lovely letter. Such a wonderful idea to track the memories and stages. Really wish I had started something like this at the beginning x
    Potty Mouthed Mummy recently posted…Crazy Pregnancy | Free PassMy Profile

14. Sarah MumofThree World July 16, 2014 / 6:36 am

Lovely post as ever. Sorry to hear about the key worker leaving – it’s probably good timing with the summer holidays as hopefully he won’t notice her absence as much when he goes back. I totally get how you feel about the ‘not so nice’ child. I feel like I’m a pretty good judge of what kids are like and I know which kids I wouldn’t want mine to be friends with. Luckily they’ve all made good friendship choices.
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…The Gallery: My view right nowMy Profile

15. Mummy Tries July 16, 2014 / 7:52 am

Your Dearest series i so endearing Tas, and a real way of savouring the good stuff! Glad the accidents have stopped! How very dare that boy indeed. Love that film too 🙂 #sharewithme
    Mummy Tries recently posted…An Impromptu (& Thrifty) Birthday TeaMy Profile

16. ghostwritermummy July 16, 2014 / 2:43 pm

Oh I do love these posts. And I feel for you with the boy who doesn’t want to be friends. Luka has a friend at preschool who he adores and who in turn is not that bothered. I’ve seen him run up to him at parties to get blanked, and during his graduation performance he hugged him and the hug wasn’t returned 🙁 It broke my heart. BUT I know that at this age children can be fickle and all we can do is stand back and let them find their own way. As painful as that is!
    x x x x
    ghostwritermummy recently posted…Maternity wear from Beebies Baby StoreMy Profile

17. Mel July 16, 2014 / 8:42 pm

What a sweet letter to Z… Our little girl is 3 years 9 months and has also started wetting herself again (must be a trend!). I love the ‘Hello Spud’ you got from him. Funny how they pick up everything we (or nursery staff) say.
    Mel recently posted…Garlic ButterMy Profile

18. Jenny July 16, 2014 / 8:48 pm

Sounds like you are going to have an absolute amazing summer with little Z that’s awesome. Thank you so much for linking up to Share With Me I love your post of little Z. #sharewithme
    Jenny recently posted…Share With Me ~ wk 24My Profile

19. Sam @ And then the fun began... July 18, 2014 / 10:12 pm

My children are constantly distracted by a toy or Topsy and Tim! I know what you mean aout the lioness instinct – it really does kick in when you think your child’s emotional (or physical!) wellbeing might be under threat. Hope the summer lives up to expectations X #sharewithme
    Sam @ And then the fun began… recently posted…Love the Little Things Week 10My Profile

20. Hurrah For Gin July 19, 2014 / 8:44 pm

Oh god i am so dreading school in a way as the potential for meanness and name calling etc is even worse! You just want to be there to protect them but you cant.
    Lovely letter Tas, he sounds like such a sweet boy xx
    Hurrah For Gin recently posted…My top 10 irritatingly useless baby purchasesMy Profile

21. Nikki Thomas July 19, 2014 / 9:18 pm

I do so love these posts, it is lovely to check in and see how he’s doing. I love the fact that he needs another holiday, you have him so well trained
    Nikki Thomas recently posted…The 365 Project – Weeks 28 and 29My Profile

22. Charly Dove July 21, 2014 / 1:04 am

Fabulous post Tas, he’s just growing up so fast isn’t he. I’m sure he’ll be fine with his keyworker going especially now he’s settled. How fabulous to have the summer off, that sounds awesome. Lots of fun to be had! Know what you mean about the friend thing, Poppy has one that doesn’t seem to reciprocate the love she has for him. I do hope it doesn’t end in tears! Happy wedding anniversary, hope you had a great day. Lovely post, thank you so much for sharing #whatsthestory
    Charly Dove recently posted…Exploring Mayfield LavenderMy Profile

23. Jaime Oliver July 21, 2014 / 11:10 am

is it wrong that i snorted at the giving away of the thomas pants??! i love these round ups lovely

thanks for linking up with #Magicmoments x
    Jaime Oliver recently posted…Magic Moments 21/7/14My Profile

24. Rachel - 3yearsandhome July 21, 2014 / 1:25 pm

This is the best update. I’m totally going to be a mum that shouts at other kids if they’re not nice to the boys. They’ll ask me not to pick them up from school by the time they’re five.

We’re having a bit of a potty training regression here too. I thought we had it all sorted earlier this year but he now thinks that peeing on the toilet is ‘boring’. I’m putting a few books in the bathroom in the hope that having something to do in there will encourage him to go. I’m currently buying up underpants in the Tesco sale like you wouldn’t believe.
    Rachel – 3yearsandhome recently posted…From sunrise to sunsetMy Profile

25. Becci July 21, 2014 / 6:30 pm

Fab blog post!

26. Sonia Constant July 22, 2014 / 10:08 pm

Such a nice post idea. I cant help but get emotional and angry when Noah is upset from something that happened at nursery – I guess its instinct isnt it?

Love the comment about your anniversary, congraulations by the way – our kids just open our presents, not very carefully may I add! x