The Very First Sports Day

Panic ensued last week when I went to collect Little Z from Pre-School and saw a big notice saying it was Sports Day the following afternoon.

Arggggh! How did I not know this? I had to go to work. Was I going to miss his very first Sports Day? I know what they were thinking…”she’s always working that one. Never takes part in the fancy dress or baking”. Terrible terrible parent.

After some urgent enquiries all was ok again and calm was restored. Sports Day would only be an hour at lunch time so I could rush there and rush back and the pre-school really didn’t think I was a terrible parent at all.
Ok the last bit was just mostly in my head.

The Other Half was so excited upon hearing about it that he booked the entire day off work within minutes. I feared this would be a coupling of the extreme sporty cum self appointed coach and the ultra lazy and a free spirited 3 year old that does what he wants thrown into the mixture.

The big day arrived and off we trundled to the local football club to see our little athletes in action. The Other Half practically jogged there warming up for the all important Daddy’s race. He wasn’t being competitive. Just supportive. Of course.

Having not been to a school Sports Day since my own many many moons ago, I naively expected a structure typical of any organised sports event. What I discovered about pre-school Sports day for the next hour was both surprising (to me mostly) and hilarious….

For instance….

1. It’s pretty hard to get a large bunch of 3 year olds to follow instruction for too long. You should expect a few attempts to escape after a while of sitting down waiting for their turn to run.

2. Preschoolers can run pretty fast in their attempts at breaking free. Keyworkers can run even faster though. Maybe it’s in their training before they qualify.

3. The little ones will keep eyeing up and getting distracted by the ice cream van that’s been ordered to reward them at the end of the day. They really need to place that ice van on the pitch at the finishing line.

4. The kids races are absolutely hilarious. There is energy, defiance, free styling, tears and a lot of excitable screaming. And that’s before they even start running.

5. There are some parents that take a 3 year olds Sports Day really seriously. Probably at the top of this spectrum is the parent that turned up in full running gear. I think they were some kind of professional athlete. I think it’s unfair to have made me run against them. I wanted to be them.

6. I found out I’m pretty unfit. I came third last. To be fair running isn’t my sport. I happened to be quite a discus thrower at school. For some reason they didn’t have this on the day. I was made to run against the professional athlete looking person. Did I mention that already?

7. The Other Half came second, apparently. Unfortunately he didn’t listen to the instruction about running back from the finishing line so I’m pretty sure he came third last too. The official score is second though. Second.

8. Little Z opted out of the sack race and free-styled it across the field instead. He also decided to bat the egg in the egg and spoon race. Running with both myself and Daddy screaming with delight was probably his favourite moment of the whole event. He now asks to do Sports Day every week.

9. They should maybe have a medal for the adults too. Some of the parents looked a bit gutted to find they were exclusively for the little people. Likewise for ice creams.

10. I’ve said this before but keyworkers are pretty fantastic. How they manage such large groups of little people with consistent patience and love is amazing. Oh, but get out of their way whilst racing. Whoever said Dads were most competitive were wrong.

20140706-194006-70806311.jpg

photo 93142f35-6d39-479f-b3de-d94dbca68162_zps58499252.jpg

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

1. Mummy Tries July 7, 2014 / 5:28 am

Oh my sounds kind of hilarious hon! Glad Little Z enjoyed himself and is now asking for sports day every week šŸ™‚ we’ve got eldest’s this morning! #whatsthestory
    Mummy Tries recently posted…A Weekend Of #MagicMomentsMy Profile

2. Sarah MumofThree World July 7, 2014 / 6:42 am

Fantastic! You paint such a vivid picture (and now your photo from the other day makes perfect sense!), it sounds hilarious. Love that your OH booked the whole day off work especially, and impressed that you joined in the parents’ race!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Hide ā€˜nā€™ seekMy Profile

3. Hayley @hayleyfromhome July 7, 2014 / 7:39 am

Sounds so funny, especially the parent in running gear! A parents race would just be total humiliation for me, I think you did quite well the get in third place! Hope Z enjoyed his first ever sports day šŸ™‚
    Hayley @hayleyfromhome recently posted…Living ArrowsMy Profile

4. Super Busy Mum July 7, 2014 / 7:42 am

Parents in running gear? Really? O.o Wow…

We had our Jacobs first sports day recently and its such a thrill right? So pleased he had great fun!! xx
    Super Busy Mum recently posted…Armed Forces Day 2014My Profile

5. Nikki Thomas July 7, 2014 / 9:53 am

That is hilarious! We have never had preschool sports days thank goodness but I can just imagine how hilarious they are. I love the school sports days and as the boys have got older it has become more and more competitive but I never, repeat never enter the parents race which is always highly competitive and I would make a complete fool of myself.
    Nikki Thomas recently posted…Buying School Uniform with BHSMy Profile

6. LauraCYMFT July 7, 2014 / 1:41 pm

Sports day is a lot of fun. We had a Mum’s race and I was chuffed I won. The dads are the worst though. They try and trip each other up or hold each other back LOL.
    LauraCYMFT recently posted…The Climbing WallMy Profile

7. Coombe Mill July 7, 2014 / 3:51 pm

Definitely sounds like the parent in running gear was taking things far too seriously! it’s great that you enjoyed yourself and even better that little Z enjoyed himself even more! Popping over from Magic Moments!

8. Jaime Oliver July 7, 2014 / 3:51 pm

OMG what a nightmare .. our old nursery used to be tight on the info till the last minute!

I am so so pleased you managed to get to sports day my lovely xx

thanks for linking up with #MagicMoments and please feel free to link up to #ActiveFamily on Thursday this is lovely and active x
    Jaime Oliver recently posted…Magic Moments 7/7/14My Profile

9. Louise Perry Fairweather July 7, 2014 / 8:33 pm

I need to write up my sports day post. Middle man lost practically every race as he wanted to wave at us xx Oh and we had short notice for our sports day too!
    Louise Perry Fairweather recently posted…In the Night Garden LiveMy Profile

10. Sara (@mumturnedmom) July 8, 2014 / 2:51 am

This is so funny Tas, love it šŸ™‚ Sports Day with small people is hilarious, herding cats springs to mind! Your descriptions of the event are perfect x
    Sara (@mumturnedmom) recently posted…Cook: Quick Miso SoupMy Profile

11. Tim July 9, 2014 / 11:00 am

Oh, this is so true. I love attending my kids’ sports days (although having said that I missed my eldest’s for the first time this year – fortunately mummy was there) but I dread the parents’ races. I do bridle somewhat at the whole non-competitiveness thing though. I don’t think it should be the be-all and end-all by any means, but I do think it’s important for kids to strive to do their best and to learn how to deal gracefully with both losing and winning. Or am I just being old-fashioned? Dunno.

I wrote a similar post to yours from a dads’ perspective when Isaac was still only 2 1/2. I’ve attached a link if you’re interested … http://slouchingtowardsthatcham.com/2010/08/19/what-kind-of-a-sports-day-dad-am-i/
    Tim recently posted…A different lightMy Profile

12. Rocknrollerbaby July 11, 2014 / 10:07 am

Very sweet and a real mile stone! I loved our first sports day! šŸ™‚

13. Charli July 11, 2014 / 10:41 am

Sounds like such a great sports day, I remember when my little girl had sports days like this but now shes older its all structure and moodiness from everyone haha! xx
    Charli recently posted…Essence Long Lasting LipsticksMy Profile

14. Helen The good life mum July 12, 2014 / 1:16 pm

What great fun and a chuckle to read and well done, our sports day got rained off šŸ™ but it is rescheduled for this friday #countrykids

15. Chrissy (@preschoolmum) July 12, 2014 / 8:53 pm

Ah preschool sports day are definitely a good fun day and more about them participating than the actual races itself. Lovely post and definitely showing exactly how hard it is to organise and carry out! my hat goes off the the organisers šŸ˜€
    Chrissy (@preschoolmum) recently posted…Dear L – 2 months oldMy Profile

16. Cheryl July 12, 2014 / 9:40 pm

Pre school sports days are funny. I guess trying to get so many independent minded personalities to run in the same direction, at the same time, leads to be more creative race planning. Kind of miss that. #CountryKids
    Cheryl recently posted…So the summer list beginsMy Profile

17. The Mummy Diary July 12, 2014 / 9:57 pm

It’s lovely you get invited, we don’t as there isn’t much room in the schools yard and there is no grass. Sounds like a great time though and i’m useless at running so you’re not the only one and i’m sure i’d of come last šŸ˜‰ #countrykids
    The Mummy Diary recently posted…Garden FunMy Profile

18. Merlinda Little (@pixiedusk) July 13, 2014 / 6:41 am

We have no Sports Day at my son’s school. Good to know. I am a clumsy person and accident prone so we dont want to make scene in there of a parent who fell and needs to be brought to the hospital (me).

YOur post is light & funny =) #countrykids
    Merlinda Little (@pixiedusk) recently posted…My Sunday Photo – 13 July 2014My Profile

19. Charly Dove July 13, 2014 / 11:54 pm

Hilarious Tas (maybe its the way you tell them!). I love the fact hubby took the day off, sounds like he was more excited about it than Z! What a great effort coming second through. Good fun all round. Great post, sorry to be late commenting #whatsthestory
    Charly Dove recently posted…The B&W Photography Project | Week #1My Profile

20. ghostwritermummy July 14, 2014 / 2:55 pm

Haha I feel I am a seasoned sports day parent now, having been to so many of the bloomin things and I think I can safely say that it doesn’t matter how old the kids are, it will always be hard work getting them to co-operate! x x
    ghostwritermummy recently posted…VBAC: not just an experienceMy Profile