Little Z is always slightly dubious and shy at the huge family gatherings. Everyone simultaneously trying to say hello to him and commenting on how he’s grown since the last time always has him burrowing his face into one of our laps. He eventually gets into the swing of things and throws himself into all the festivities.
As a close cousin gets married in a couple of weeks, and two others turn 18, it was an ideal time to help out with last minute favour box packing and having some very birthday cake. It was like Zs most perfect day ever. These are just some of the reasons why…
1) Stealing Grandmas walking stick in order to swing it about and pretend it was some kind of sword. It had to be confiscated after he started swinging it around his head for fear of kneecapping guests.
2) Hearing whispers of a surprise birthday cake, promptly getting very excited and then announcing to everyone that everyone was going to have a party. One of his many grandmas tried to persuade him several times to keep it very very quiet.
3) Eventually realising the birthday cake was a secret and annoying loudly to a few people that there was birthday cake but it was a SECRET.
4) Having a turn at blowing out candles on the birthday cake after the surprised pair of 18 year olds.
5) Entertaining a small group of 50 something adults with a story of how his Nani fell down a mountain. I’m not sure where or how he’s come up with that one. I need to have a think about mountain related CBeebies programmes.
6) Trying to eat as much cake as he could as a substitute for proper food.
7) Finally making peace with the neighbourhood cat after being scratched by one a year ago on holiday. Then not leaving it alone.