The past few summers (and winters) in my family have all centred around family weddings. Being one of approximately 20 cousins is likely to do that and we have become pretty efficient and expert at planning a wedding really quickly. Little Z is starting to think weddings are a normal kind of outing as they seem to be occurring at least three or more times a year. This weekend was one of those times and we all went about falling into our normal roles of co-ordinating, greeting guests and unsuccessfully manning the sweet table. Throw in an excited 3 year old Little Z trying to turn a large wedding hall into his very own obstacle course and you know you’re in for a pretty interesting evening.
These were the highlights attending a wedding with a 3 year old…
1. The realisation that Little Z was no longer going to fit into any kind of high chair and needs a “proper chair”. Cue fears of him escaping approximately every 2 minutes.
2. Deciding it would be easier to just watch him run around the hall rather than trying to get him to sit in one place for the entire evening. Also mentally concluding his clothes have an expiry date of that same evening as he proceeds to slide about on the floor and do some kind of body surf thing.
3. Realising he needs chasing frequently each time he tried to leg it through the double doors. Also realising running in high heels repeatedly is not that comfy.
4. Shooing him away from the sweet table display whilst his mouth is gradually turning blue from the pinching of blue bon bons. Knowing this means he will now be on turbo charge till the end of the night.
5. Spending ages persuading 3 year old Little Z that the food is really nice and that he can’t only eat cucumber for the entire meal. Giving up fairly quickly with the coaxing and asking the waiter if he’s able to bring more cucumbers out. Then watching the waiter discuss said request with another waiter and have both look at you blankly. Repeat request when asked if in fact I want just a plate of cucumbers. Err yes. Please.
6. Try to persuade Little Z out from under the table as he discovers it is the most fun ever. Ever. Lure him out with cucumbers. With waiters still all looking a bit confused.
7. Get ready for round 2 of chasing him around the hall. Pull silent shouty faces at husband from across the hall which clearly mean “my feet are killing me and I want to eat my dessert”.
8. Switch on a dazzling instant smile for all the family pics. And try to grab a sprinting Z as he runs dangerously close past the bride and grooms very nice outfits.
9. Last about 95% of the wedding before starting the “I’ve already chased him 5 times, it’s your turn” bickering with the hubby.
10. Watch Little Z zonk out from his very fun evening, just before he asks if we can go to a wedding tomorrow too.