The First day back at Pre-School

After a very very long summer break I knew it was going to be a bit of a struggle getting Little Z excited about going to Pre-school again. As the start of September got closer I started reminding him about how he would soon have to go and he would have lots of fun. I was always met with a scowl or a pouty lip and then the pull on the heart strings…”But I want to stay home with you”. Then he would abandon me within minutes of better or more fun company. I knew the big break would put him back a bit and I was fully expecting tears.

As the days of preschool got closer, I ramped up the reminders and he ramped up the upset face and I started dreading it slightly. I knew it was playing on his mind a bit when he woke up on Sunday morning to negotiate another days holiday,

“Mummy we not go nursery today. We go Nana house today and I go nursery tomorrow”.

Thankfully he doesn’t know the days of the week too well and I bargained hard with him and made me promise he would absolutely go the day after. He watched my face cautiously as he wondered if I would really let him off going to pre-school that day. Was I really going to let him stay at home one more day? He let himself trust me and accepted victory. We reminded him all day about how we were letting him off pre-school that day and he rejoiced in telling everyone about his bonus day off leaving off the bit about having to go the day after.

The morning after did arrive as did the pouty teary face and requests of going to Nanas house instead. After some coaxing and reminders of all his friends, excitement suddenly clicked in his head and he couldn’t go soon enough. So the next hour was spent asking upteen times whether it was time to go yet and to “hurry up mummy!”. I think I was more excited that him to see his old keyworker, who had left for new adventures, had had a change of heart over the summer and had come back. Little Z pottered over to her happily and didn’t look back. She won’t be his keyworker going forward but I was relieved that she was there to settle him back in. Apparently he didn’t shut up for the whole session so I think he’s well and truly set

tled back in.

Everything a year older. Everything back to happy normal and everything about to change in a year as Little Z enters the big school world. Once we apply that is.

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

Not My Year Off

1. Nikki Thomas September 10, 2014 / 6:42 am

That did make me smile, it is amazing how cheeky they are even at such a young age. I am sure that he will be fine this year, that extra year does make a huge difference, A didn’t really settle in at playgroup until the second year. That is lovely that his old key worker stayed too these little things make a huge difference to them.
    Nikki Thomas recently posted…The Cost of Learning to DriveMy Profile

2. Sarah MumofThree World September 10, 2014 / 10:00 am

That’s brilliant. Amazing how he just himself in the right frame of mind just in time. Lovely to have the familiar face of his old key worker there too.
    Isn’t it scary how soon we have to start thinking about applying for schools? You’ve got your primary school application and I’ve got my secondary school one! I just want to bury my head in the sand for the next few months!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Life with guinea pigsMy Profile

3. Dean September 11, 2014 / 3:31 pm

Well done little Z! I’m afraid my little T isn’t so settled at “big school” yet. She still cries in the mornings, but I think we’re getting there. Her teacher says the tears stop as soon as she’s in the classroom. #loudnproud.
    Dean recently posted…An Invitation: Dwelling in PossibilitiesMy Profile

4. Caroline (Becoming a SAHM) September 11, 2014 / 5:06 pm

aww that’s lovely, good to hear he settled back in! I love the bargaining, it’s so handy that their concepts of days and time aren;t that accurate yet, makes the bargaining so much easier 😉 xx #loudnproud
    Caroline (Becoming a SAHM) recently posted…The freedom to climb… and fall?My Profile

5. Katie @mummydaddyme September 12, 2014 / 8:19 pm

Bless him, it does take a while for them to settle back in doesn’t it? It’s all change for us this year as although they will still be going two long mornings a week while I work, Mads will also be going an extra session. I cannot believe this time next year our babies will be going to school, it doesn’t bear thinking about. 😉 x
    Katie @mummydaddyme recently posted…A Day Shopping At Westfield London.My Profile

6. Honest Mum September 13, 2014 / 1:02 pm

So sweet, Oliver started school so big changes here too-he loved it but by the second day was saying he wanted to stay at my Mum’s too! These milestones are so good for them though (love the pouty lip-cute). Thanks for linking up to #brilliantblogposts x
    Honest Mum recently posted…Win a £50 Selfridges Gift CardMy Profile

7. Carolynne @ Mummy Endeavours September 13, 2014 / 2:41 pm

Ah bless his heart! Glad he suddenly perked up and wanted to go – must’ve been a relief for you, it’s so upsetting if they don’t want to go. Well done Little Z x
    Carolynne @ Mummy Endeavours recently posted…Top Marks TeenMy Profile

8. Jenny September 13, 2014 / 7:54 pm

Ahhh bless Buba was the exact same when we returns from our summer in the states and he had to go back to nursery two days a week. He screamed and pleaded and he starts school next year and I want him to be prepared the best way as he will be the youngest. I am so nervous as I hope he gets into a good school too. It all goes so fast doesn’t it? Lovely post. Thank you so much for linking up to Share With Me #sharewithme
    Jenny recently posted…Saturday’s Blogiversary Giveaway: Fisher Price Sensory BouncerMy Profile

9. Erica Price September 14, 2014 / 9:01 am

Glad it all went so well in the end. It can be difficult taking them back after a long break.
    Erica Price recently posted…Lego Movie DVD ReviewMy Profile

10. Hayley @hayleyfromhome September 14, 2014 / 9:01 pm

Oh I’m glad he went in so well in the end. I’m not sure how Lucas will be next week when i have to leave him, I thought he would be fine but now I’m not too sure. It’s like he can sense a big change is happening and he’s become clingy which is not like him at all. I love how you bargained with him to go the next day, so cute!
    Hayley @hayleyfromhome recently posted…The School Run {The Ordinary Moments}My Profile

11. Katie September 14, 2014 / 10:38 pm

Ahh lovely am so glad he settled back in well! A summer off is a huge amount of time to a kid so its bound to feel strange. He will love the routine again soon enough though Tas xx
    Katie recently posted…On your first day of school…My Profile