Life and Flip Flops with Socks

It’s been a strange and sad kind of few days. Coincidentally the hubby and I have each lost someone we’ve known for a really long time and we’ve been a bit like passing ships with the funerals and just generally being with friends and family at a sad time. It’s made us both take a bit of a step back and take stock of all the good in our lives and reflect on the lives of those that have passed. When you become a blogger there is a temptation to sometimes write about everything buzzing through your head and the risk of over sharing. I could write a huge long post on the aunt that passed (a friend’s mum), but it wouldn’t be right of me to do it. What I will say about her is that over the last few days, through observing the sheer number of people that have come to pay their respects, is that she was a genuinely amazing person. She lived the simplest of lives, without ever becoming involved in drama, and attracted an immense amount of love and friendship through her kind nature. To have people flock to you without courting the lime light that people love so much these days shows a pretty wonderful character and soul.

Through the cloud of sadness and stumbling through difficult times, there are the little young people that are oblivious to what’s going on. The little hurricanes that just want to play be happy and provide much needed moments of relief and laughter and comfort. The ones that provide that extra special hug happily for about 30 seconds before breaking free for their next adventure.

Our own little hurricane has been no different. Determined to keep hold of summer, Little Z tried to find ways he could still wear his Mickey Mouse Haviannas that little bit longer. We were so late to go out I ended up letting him. Thankfully he’s decided since that shoes are a bit more practical. Hopefully this means he no longer thinks flip flops with socks is acceptable attire.

IMG_2300.JPG

He’s also working hard on his negotiation skills this week. There is a huge reluctance to go back to pre-school and I know there will be plenty of tears on the first day back after the very long summer break. He woke on Sunday morning and brokered his deal,

“We won’t go nursery today, can we go Nana house today?”

Me: “Hmm, I don’t know. Will you promise to go tomorrow?”

Little Z looking pleased: “Yes. We not go today but I go tomorrow”

I spent most of the day reminding him about his excellent negotiation skills and resulting victory. I’m hoping this means a better drop off come Monday.

photo 93142f35-6d39-479f-b3de-d94dbca68162_zps58499252.jpg

1. Mummy Tries September 8, 2014 / 6:23 am

Sorry to hear that it’ been a rough week lovely. What you said about your aunt is beautiful. Thankfully small children can help us smile through the gloomiest hours. Love his socks and flip flops combo! Hope getting back to pre-school isn’t too tough on him. Hugs to you xx #magicmoments
    Mummy Tries recently posted…Carrot Cake – Gluten, Dairy, Refined Sugar & Nut FreeMy Profile

2. Nikki Thomas September 8, 2014 / 6:59 am

Oh no not socks and flip flops, that is not a good look! Bless him. It is amazing how they learn to negotiate so young. I’m sorry to hear that you lost your aunt, she sounds like an amazing woman.
    Nikki Thomas recently posted…The 365 Project – Week 36My Profile

3. Sarah MumofThree World September 8, 2014 / 7:03 am

Sorry to hear about your aunt and the difficult few days you’ve all had. Lovely that Z can cheer you up though. That photo is so cute! If you can’t wear Mickey Mouse flip flops with socks, when can you wear them?
    I say 10 out of 10 to Mummy for negotiation! You beat him at his own game! Hope the return to nursery goes OK. x
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…The new football seasonMy Profile

4. Super Busy Mum September 8, 2014 / 1:07 pm

I am so sorry for your loss, hard times and I hope your both OK. Although, lets talk about the boys fashion sense of socks and flip flops, lol! What a funny little character. x
    Super Busy Mum recently posted…Spending time with FamilyMy Profile

5. Rachel @ The Ordinary Lovely September 8, 2014 / 2:27 pm

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve been through such a sad time. Family losses are devastating. Our little ones are wonderful at reading situations and bringing a touch of cheer to a sad house. Now who wouldn’t smile at a sock and flip flop combo xx

6. hurrahforgin September 8, 2014 / 3:14 pm

So sorry to hear of your lost Tas – hope you are doing as well as you can be xx
    p.s i love the socks and flip flops look. Little Z sounds like one bright cookie!
    hurrahforgin recently posted…Feeling proudMy Profile

7. Honest Mum September 8, 2014 / 6:07 pm

I’m so sorry about your Aunt who sounds like she was the most amazing woman (the kind of lady who encourages who makes you want to be the best person you can) and I agree, whenever I’ve lost people the first instinct is to blog but I just didn’t feel it was right in my instance also (understand it’s therapeutic for others) and I actually have several tribute posts in my drafts, just for me. Thinking of you and that beautiful boy of yours and his socked flip flops will help you with your grief x
    Honest Mum recently posted…A Family PartyMy Profile

8. The Reading Residence September 8, 2014 / 7:08 pm

Sorry to hear you’ve had a tough week. Your aunt sounds like she was an amazing woman. You’re right, we do need the relief of the little ones at times like these. I hope he got on OK at preschool today x
    The Reading Residence recently posted…My Daughter, the SchoolgirlMy Profile

9. Hayley @hayleyfromhome September 8, 2014 / 9:32 pm

I’m sorry to hear you lost someone close, you’re right it does make us appreciate everything all the more when we lose someone special and sounds like your Little Z can still make you smile. I love his flip flops, what a cool little guy xx
    Hayley @hayleyfromhome recently posted…Thankful {Word of the Week}My Profile

10. Louise September 9, 2014 / 3:32 pm

Sorry to hear about your aunt, glad little Z is helping to make you smile. Love the socks and flip flops photo.
    Louise recently posted…Looking back on summerMy Profile

11. Michelle at Bod for tea September 11, 2014 / 2:53 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about your loss – your aunt sounds like an amazing person. Sometimes it’s right to share and sometimes it isn’t – I think you have to go with what brings you, and those around you, peace. I’m glad you’ve had some chuckles from the little one to make you smile and hope your nursery drop offs went ok this week! x
    Michelle at Bod for tea recently posted…Take your toaster to a party – Waste Less Live MoreMy Profile

12. Sara (@mumturnedmom) September 12, 2014 / 10:39 pm

So sorry Tas, you must have had a horribly sad week. But, you’re right, we can always rely on the small people to make us smile! My 5yo insisted on socks with sandals today… I did try to veto 🙂
    Sara (@mumturnedmom) recently posted…The Prompt 34My Profile

13. Julia September 13, 2014 / 8:10 pm

Sorry to hear you’ve had a hard week, and your husband has too. It’s good how kids take our minds off stuff tho. My son loves doing socks and crocs! X
    Julia recently posted…ShoesMy Profile

14. ghostwritermummy September 15, 2014 / 1:43 pm

Ah socks and flip flops are totally acceptable when you’re three! So sorry to hear you’ve had a rough week lovely x x x
    ghostwritermummy recently posted…The best days of your lifeMy Profile