A Trip To Edinburgh and some photos

Edinburgh has always been on my list of places to visit but we’ve never quite made it up North. I always find all trips booked come at the worst of time and the best of times. There’s always something else that needs to be done before you go but, when you do eventually hit the road, its the nicest feeling putting everything behind you (or at least on pause) for a few days. I was mainly looking forward to taking a million photos of all the old buildings and history that encompasses and makes up Edinburgh. I never realised it would be SO child and family friendly and we spent our days running from museum to historic monument taking it all in.

Edinburgh is all beauty and stairs. A city built with an amazingly careful eye with all its winding streets and beautiful structures erected perfectly on the steepest of hills. You could be in a place and look out the window on one side to look out straight onto the pavement. Then walk across the room and look out and find that you were two storeys up on another. Flights of stone steps tie all the hills and buildings together and give your calves the biggest power workout you could have in a few days. For a bustling busy city it has a lovely balance of young city culture as well as a calmness you could raise your family in. We saw children on a daily basis in droves walking to or from school and I found myself dreaming, wanting to buy a holiday house there with my cousins who had come up a couple of days after us. I probably should have about 8 to 10 dream houses dotted about in different countries by now. ๐Ÿ™‚

We happened to be there at what felt like a very historic time. With the Scottish referendum vote happening on the 18th every conversation overheard was about the Yes / No vote. There was numerous TV debate teams dotted about and marches during the Saturday. All very peaceful from what we witnessed but absolutely huge and it made you wonder how something of that scale could be organised so quickly.

Little Z was in running heaven. Running up cobbled streets, running up flights of stairs and transfixed by every bagpipe player he saw. He asked for one a couple of times saying he “needed” it and we managed to distract him with promises of “maybe later”. Edinburgh Zoo was a particular favourite of his, which probably deserves its own post, and we could have spent the entire day there wandering about admiring all the animals. Our own favourites were the Scot Monument with its 287 steps ascending up a spiral staircase, the amazing views and the castle which overlooks the whole city and just wandering around the maze of streets and alleys and flights of stairs that would lead out to yet another beautiful and enigmatic part of the city. Unfortunately we didn’t make it up Arthur’s Seat as we weren’t sure whether it would be doable with a 3 year old (and if we did whether he would stay relatively still and not want to leg it over the side of the cliffs). So that’s something we’ll have to go back for. We made a pit stop to Rosslyn Chapel on the way home mainly as I wanted to see where the Da Vinci code had been filmed and found myself walking away learning about all the mysteries of this unique church.

We already have plans to go back and maybe venture a bit more North to see the rest of Scotland. Maybe next time we’ll be taking our passports with us.

Edinburgh 14

Edinburgh Royal Mile

Edinburgh

Edinburgh 1

Post Comment Love

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

1. Rachel @ The Ordinary Lovely September 15, 2014 / 9:04 pm

Beautiful photos. I’m so glad that you had such a nice time. I know things have been a little sad for you lately. I went to Edinburgh about 25 years ago but I remember very little about it. I’d love to go back though. Maybe a weekend away next year.

2. Hayley @hayleyfromhome September 16, 2014 / 10:49 am

Oh I’m so glad you enjoyed it and your photos are beautiful. Edinburgh is one of my favourite cities, I think it’s quite calm for such a big place. We’ve been a lot as a couple but not with the children yet so it’s good to know there is lots to see. You made it home without bagpipes then?!
    Hayley @hayleyfromhome recently posted…Living ArrowsMy Profile

3. Katie @mummydaddyme September 16, 2014 / 7:25 pm

Gorgeous photos lovely- I adore Edinburgh I have only been twice but the first time J took me there as a surprise after we got engaged- he presented me with a ring and two flight tickets and we had the most amazing weekend. Therefore it will always hold a special place in my heart! x
    Katie @mummydaddyme recently posted…‘My Fitness Mission’- August.My Profile

4. Alison (A Fine Piece & A Blether) September 16, 2014 / 9:50 pm

Edinburgh is a fab city, so much to do! Glad you had a good trip – definitely further North next time, I hear Aberdeen is lovely… ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Alison (A Fine Piece & A Blether) recently posted…The British Tag!My Profile

5. Erica Price September 19, 2014 / 6:54 am

Lovely photos of a lovely city. We really enjoyed our trip earlier in the summer. Glad that we won’t need those passports after all.
    Erica Price recently posted…Storytime Review and GiveawayMy Profile

6. Clare Scott September 19, 2014 / 9:26 am

I love Edinburgh too – and was fortunate enough to live there for a couple of years. It’s a city where you can never get bored! I really enjoyed reading about your visit and your photographs made me keen to get back there soon (even though we made a flying visit for the Book Festival last month, I’m already getting withdrawal symptoms!). #PoCoLo
    Clare Scott recently posted…Farewell my summer loveMy Profile

7. Nickie September 19, 2014 / 10:28 am

Your pictures are gorgeous! I think I love the one of the door the most. I haven’t been to Edinburgh in years – last time I was about 10 or 11 and it was to watch the Tattoo. I probably didn’t appreciate the surroundings as much as I should have done at that age.
    Nickie recently posted…Vintage Postcards Of LondonMy Profile

8. Jennifer September 19, 2014 / 7:09 pm

You’ve captured some beautiful images! Edinburgh looks like an amazing city, thanks for sharing ๐Ÿ™‚ #pocolo
    Jennifer recently posted…Photo A DayMy Profile

9. The Reading Residence September 20, 2014 / 8:23 am

Gorgeous photos. We’ve never been either, but it’s on the list, so we will get there one day! Glad you made it there and had a great time x
    The Reading Residence recently posted…In The Garden With DaddyMy Profile

10. Christine September 20, 2014 / 8:30 am

Your photos are stunning, I’m in total awe! We went to Edinburgh last year and loved it too although we visited just before the Festival started so we now have to return and go to it. #pocolo

11. @SarahAnneDG September 20, 2014 / 9:25 am

Your photos are stunning, they capture the city so well.

I’m from Glasgow, but Edinburgh really is a beautiful city. I worked there for a while and had plans to relocate permanently until I met future hubs. If you like it there you’d like Stirling and St Andrews too. But give Glasgow a try if you get the chance too!
    @SarahAnneDG recently posted…10 things wedding planning has taught meMy Profile

12. Iona@redpeffer September 20, 2014 / 10:12 am

Oh, you’ve captured my home city so beautifully. I’m feeling homesick now. So glad you enjoyed it x
    Iona@redpeffer recently posted…Amazing AvoncroftMy Profile

13. Coombemill September 20, 2014 / 4:16 pm

Such a stunning city, I’ve never visited but your post makes me want to go. Lovely photos Tas and it lokks like lovely weather too. Thank you for linking up with me on Country Kids
    Coombemill recently posted…Country Kids from Coombe MillMy Profile

14. Potty Mouthed Mummy September 20, 2014 / 6:02 pm

Oh I adore Edinburgh. My favourite place in the world and my family hail from there. Gorgeous pics, glad I am going there in December ๐Ÿ™‚ xx
    Potty Mouthed Mummy recently posted…Country Kids | A Day In LondonMy Profile

15. Kate, Baby Routes September 20, 2014 / 10:29 pm

What a fantastic time to be in Scotland! Your photos are fantastic – love the ones on the steps! Edinburgh is such a great place to visit isn’t it? Hoping to get up there myself before the end of the year.
    Kate, Baby Routes recently posted…Autumn is coming!My Profile

16. Sara (@mumturnedmom) September 20, 2014 / 11:16 pm

What a lovely post about my home town, feeling very homesick now! Your photos are gorgeous, you’ve captured the feel of the city beautifully. I’m so glad you loved it!
    Sara (@mumturnedmom) recently posted…Project 365: 257-263My Profile

17. Verily Victoria Vocalises September 21, 2014 / 2:29 pm

I’ve always wanted to go to Edinburgh – one day! You have taken some absolutely stunning photos Tas ๐Ÿ™‚ thank you for linking to PoCoLo ๐Ÿ™‚ x
    Verily Victoria Vocalises recently posted…The Nestle Cereals ChallengeMy Profile

18. Julia September 21, 2014 / 10:58 pm

I haven’t been to Edinburgh in years but I think it would be great to visit now with the kids. Maybe a half term mini break idea! Lovely photos x

19. Nikki Thomas September 22, 2014 / 6:33 am

Wow some amazing photos Tas, it does sound like a fantastic trip. You have definitely sold it to me, I will add it to the list.
    Nikki Thomas recently posted…A fond farewell to morning televisionMy Profile

20. Mama Herself September 22, 2014 / 8:35 pm

On our one and only trip to Edinburgh, we actually spent a most of our time in the area around the city, but good news for your plans to return – there’s loads to do there too! Lovely pix!

#PoCoLo
    Mama Herself recently posted…Thomas and Jane Carlyleโ€™s House, LondonMy Profile