Dearest Little Z – At 3 years and 10 months

Hello Little Z!

I only just realised it’s time for another post to mark your monthly milestones; 3 year and 10 months. Eek!! That means, with your birthday being so close to Christmas, I need to sort out your birthday very quickly, else no-one is going to make me one. I learnt that the hard way when you were about to turn one. I know I should learn to make them myself at home but I am really really rubbish at them. Plus I think I want a minions cake this year. I mean, you do. Ahem.

You have suddenly had some kind of mental leap this month and developed the art of smartly talking back. Repeatedly. You have an answer for everything and your very sharp memory now means I can’t lie (too much) to you any more. Gone are the days when I could use a shiny object to distract you. It’s like living with some kind of mini spy cum sleuth. You question everything and correct us. Mostly when its do with the Starbursts finishing. i.e. “No they’re not, they’re in the cupboard”. You’ve also mastered the power of whining. Oh my goodness. I reckon I could donate blood by the bagful if ears did really bleed. I know that sounds a bit gross. I really hope this phase doesn’t last too long. I think it’s given me a bit of a glimpse into the teenage years.

It was your uncle’s wedding this weekend and you loved every bit of it. When your auntie got married last year your Daddy and I spent the entire evening chasing you around the hall, making sure you kept your clothes on and trying to coax you out from under tables. We ended up pretty stressed and all bickery by the end of the evening. This year we let you do whatever the heck you wanted as long as you’d eaten and you were within sight. We had a much more relaxing time and you were as high as a kite from all the skidding about on the floors and devouring of various cupcakes. Well, mainly the icing! Surprisingly, you didn’t trash your little suit which I was fully expecting so you might even get one more wear out of it. We just need to persuade someone else to throw a wedding very soon. Especially as you looked so cute in it. You asked to have a go on my camera and then kept trying to direct people to “stand closer together and say cheese!” and then took a good few snaps. I think you quite like photography. You only attempted to half strip this time which was a vast improvement on the full strip of last year. Its been a long 3 days and we spent a lot of the day in pyjamas today watching different movies. The next few weeks are going to be fairly interesting in a variety of ways so I think a few calm days are in order now whilst your uncle and new auntie jet off on holiday. Oooh I would love a holiday right now. Somewhere hot maybe. I’m not sure it’ll happen for a good few months but you never know.

You’ve actually started to eat properly. Mostly. We jokingkly refer to you as our vegetarian as you still won’t eat much meat but you do love fish, usually of the fish finger variety. You still love fruit and veg and will choose that over any kind of protein so its always tricky to get you to eat in a balanced way. Who knows, maybe you have my foodie genes after all!

I finally applied for your primary school place. It took me a while to take the plunge but we finally did it and I really hope we get it. I’m sure we will as it’s not that far away but there are a couple of much closer schools so you know I guess. April is such a long way a way. I can’t believe this time next year you’ll be in the education system full time. It’s all exciting and daunting all at once!! I don’t think your best friend from pre-school is intending to go to the same school as you so its probably going to be a bit strange for you at first. Maybe I could persuade his mum? No? That may be a bit creepy of me though. Hmmm…we shall have to have a think! There are days when I think you’re very ready to go to school but mostly I’m secretly glad you’re a winter baby with this whole extra year before you’re immersed into school life.

IMG_2953.PNG

Post Comment Love

1. Nikki Thomas October 20, 2014 / 9:21 pm

Don’t be concerned about a child who loves fruit and vegetables. I am going to send my lot around to yours and see if you can convert them. He sounds such a cutie, I love the description of the wedding but with all those lovely sweet things, I ‘m not surprised he was as high as a kite.
    Nikki Thomas recently posted…19My Profile

2. Sarah MumofThree World October 21, 2014 / 6:55 am

Great to hear he’s finally eating a bit more and, as Nikki says, I would be VERY grateful for a child who eats fruit and vegetables. Sounds like you all had a brilliant time at the wedding. Fingers crossed he gets the school you want.
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…The making of my boyMy Profile

3. Katie @mummydaddyme October 21, 2014 / 10:10 am

Whenever I read these letters I think I need to pull my finger out and do one for Mads and LL, I am so behind, it’s not good at all! Z I am not impressed you are now eating properly, I always used to have hope that it wasn’t just my child who was a fusspot and now you have made me worry. šŸ˜‰ Mads is still eating TERRIBLY! Oh well, beige is a lovely colour as a food group. šŸ˜‰ They are growing up so fast aren’t they? 4 soon! Sob. x
    Katie @mummydaddyme recently posted…So It’s Autumn…My Profile

4. brummymummyof2 October 21, 2014 / 7:59 pm

Oh no I have to apply and have been putting it off!! This needs to be done over half term. Sob sob sob. Makes me weep! We have got the girl stuff for a Hello Kitty party. Their bdays are so close to Crimbo it makes the most manic of months! Hope everything is well with you and your other journey lovely x
    brummymummyof2 recently posted…Crap at crafts and other parenting failsMy Profile

5. Rachel @ The Ordinary Lovely October 21, 2014 / 9:03 pm

They’re growing up sooooo fast! We’re going through a mega questioning and whining stage. I actually have to set a timer on my iPhone sometimes and tell him no questions for 5 minutes. My head sometimes hurts by 9am. I think this Christmas is going to be the wildest so far.
    Rachel @ The Ordinary Lovely recently posted…The ordinary lovely: Pon-ConsMy Profile

6. Hayley @hayleyfromhome October 21, 2014 / 9:09 pm

It must be great to see him coming on so much and the difference in him at the wedding this year. I am starting to get glimpses of Lucas catching on to the lies now, only occasionally and I have to spend a while to think of an answer as to why he can’t have another biscuit!. Glad you all enjoyed the wedding and relaxed šŸ™‚
    Hayley @hayleyfromhome recently posted…Pumpkin PickingMy Profile

7. Becky | Spirited Puddle Jumper October 22, 2014 / 6:53 am

Ah this is lovely, and I can so relate to this and the age- Freddie is 3 and nearly 9 months! We still have 2 schools to look at before we finally submit that application form, but we’re really happy with the one we’ve looked at so far, which is our nearest. I don’t feel grown up enough to have a school-age child! #sharewithme
    Becky | Spirited Puddle Jumper recently posted…Things Iā€™m loving about AutumnMy Profile

8. Karen Hannah October 22, 2014 / 2:22 pm

Oh Tas, I saw some photos of the wedding and you looked beautiful! Little Z is growing up so fast. Rowan turned 4 in August and I wasn’t anywhere near ready to let him go to school but he went, and of course he loves it. Well done on the veggies Little Z – it’s a great habit to have!
    Karen Hannah recently posted…The CarerMy Profile

9. Jenny October 22, 2014 / 8:05 pm

I love these letters they always make me emotional and broody. Little Z is growing up so fast. Good for him on the food progress. I swear my kids only eat green and nothing else. People think this is good but 200 diapers a day isn’t nice. lol I wish they loved pasta and potatoes etc. Its like they refuse carbs. lol Go Z for being so mature and grown up. Thanks for linking up to Share With Me #sharewithme
    Jenny recently posted…Share With Me ~ wk 38My Profile

10. kidGLloves October 23, 2014 / 6:22 am

Lucas says – Eating the icing of cupcakes and stripping off at weddings? Sounds like my kind of lil’ dude!!!! he he Nice to know he likes taking photos too #sharewithme
    kidGLloves recently posted…Mini Creations Wednesday 22 October 2014My Profile

11. Celesse @ Mummy Logic October 24, 2014 / 4:38 pm

I found it bitter sweet when my daughter reached the age were we applied for school, it was exciting for her and a major milestone, but it kinda means admitting they are no longer babies! #PoCoLo
    Celesse @ Mummy Logic recently posted…Bean’s Birth StoryMy Profile

12. Emma Lander October 24, 2014 / 7:45 pm

Wow it seems a lot of bloggers all have kids starting primary school next year. At least we can console each other when we’re blubbering into our school ties-or will that just be me šŸ™
    Doesn’t time fly xx
    Emma Lander recently posted…Mamas and Papas Armadillo Flip-a reviewMy Profile

13. Erica Price October 25, 2014 / 8:15 am

It feels like yesterday that you were going back to work after your ‘year off’. It doesn’t seem right that school applications have come around so quickly. Great that he likes fruit and veg, even if it makes it hard to get a balanced meal. At least the veg means he will be getting lots of other good things.
    Erica Price recently posted…Kindness of Strangers #ThankYouStrangerMy Profile

14. Merlinda Little (@pixiedusk) October 25, 2014 / 11:58 am

Eating is one of the thing that hunts me as a mother. I wish that we can overcome it too but actually I wish hed eat more fruits & veggies =P #pocolo
    Merlinda Little (@pixiedusk) recently posted…Neck Tie CeremonyMy Profile

15. Sarah @ let them be small October 25, 2014 / 2:30 pm

Awww, lovely post. time really does fly by doesn’t it!
    popping in from NW bloggers in Facebook for #sharefriday x

16. Lystra Maisey October 25, 2014 / 11:21 pm

Hello there, I loved this-our little boy is just behind yours at three and a half last week and I know just what you mean about the whining, and being corrected! xx #sharewithme
    Lystra Maisey recently posted…Chapter 49-A Boy for All SeasonsMy Profile

17. older mum in a muddle October 26, 2014 / 7:56 am

I can’t quite believe that he’s nearly four years old….. how it’s flown. They really come into their own at this age – always answering back. Little A has notched up a gear since she began reception. He sounds such a bright boy! X
    older mum in a muddle recently posted…#One Week – Autumn ’14 – Autumn BitesMy Profile