A Visit To Chester Zoo

During a very chilly day last weekend we suddenly felt we should pop into Chester Zoo. Little Z is always very keen to see some animals and, as he’s got older, appreciates real life ones as opposed to the cartoon ones he sees on TV regularly. It was probably not the best day to make a visit given that a doomy storm threatened over head on our way there, but we were nearly there by the point it looked like it was going to chuck it down and had we no choice but to wrap up warm or turn back. We decided to brave it and it was a brilliant day out. Since watching Our Zoo on TV I was really keen to see the place that George Mottershead, the founder of the zoo, had opened in 1931.

It is a vast estate which houses the zoo itself as well some very pretty gardens and is evidently a much loved place with a massive stream of visitors despite the chilly weather. If you’ve seen the series you’ll know it wasn’t an easy journey to opening his zoo with much uncertainty and objection from neighbouring residents. Open it did though and it’s gone onto becoming a firmly loved place within the North West.

Little Z was eager to get going once he got his hand on a map and it was amusing to watch him try to get his bearings on a pretty large zoo whilst looking at a map he couldn’t yet read. He was determined to guide us though so we saw very little of the routes we should be taking. Luckily there are sign posts every hundred yards or so and we ended up just winging it. With his new blue coat on that has been affectionately named “My Baa Baa Black sheep coat” (on account of the very fluffy wool lining) he refused to take his hood off for the entire day and we took to calling him Kenny (from South Park) on occasion. We were duly corrected each time.

As it was so cold, some of the animals preferred to understandably take sanctuary within their warm homes so unfortunately we didn’t get to see the elephants or much of the tigers properly. We did get a very close up view of the lion and lionesses though and observing their relationship with each other was a really nice sight to see.

Little Z thought each animal would respond to him if he called them. E.g. “Flamingoooooo! Flamgingoooooos!!!”
I think they were slightly busy standing on one leg in their big pond but I’m sure they would have come over otherwise. He was very impressed with the lions and kept running alongside the enclosure to get a good look at them, then asked to be picked up and put right next to them. As majestic and lovely as they looked we didn’t comply with that particular request of his. I think he was most impressed with his go in a Chester Zoo jeep!

The rhions are also a very worthy visit and their enclosure is heated up to a very warm temperature so its a brilliant place to warm up a bit if you’re feeling cold. As long as you don’t mind the slight whiff of manure.
Chester Zoo is one of those places that needs most of a day to get round and with our impromptu visit, we didn’t quite manage to see everything. It’s definitely a good excuse to go back for more sometime soon though. As well as maybe coupling it up with a trip to the nearby outlet village!

Here are some of the pics from our ultra chilly day. I definitely could do with a coat like his!

DSC_0361

DSC_0473

DSC_0479a

DSC_0482

photo 93142f35-6d39-479f-b3de-d94dbca68162_zps58499252.jpg

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

1. Jollyjillys November 10, 2014 / 8:14 am

Looks like a fab day out. I have not been to a zoo in years!

2. Coombemill November 10, 2014 / 8:29 am

I do love a zoo, we’ve not been for years. Now I can see where your silent sunday photo comes from. What a lovely day out at any time of year, the colour on the flamingoes always makes me stop and stare!
    Coombemill recently posted…Remembrance Sunday Then and NowMy Profile

3. Sarah MumofThree World November 10, 2014 / 8:52 am

Fab pics. I couldn’t help smiling at Z with his map! It sounds like you had a lovely day. It’s years since we last went, so we ought to go again soon. Like you, I loved Our Zoo and would be interested to see what I recognise from the series!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Bedtime battlesMy Profile

4. Nikki Thomas November 10, 2014 / 10:46 am

What fantastic photos! We loved the program and it was amazing to see how the zoo came about. We haven’t been to a zoo for years but would love to go there as I rowed in Chester when I was at Uni and it is a really lovely place.
    Nikki Thomas recently posted…Santa’s Rooftop Scramble ReviewMy Profile

5. Merlinda Little (@pixiedusk) November 10, 2014 / 10:56 am

Awww this is where that cute photo of Z was taken! Amazing photos. I always love Flamingos. The color and their flawlessness! Its been awhile since we last went to a Zoo and my son is young then. Too young to take things in. I think its right time we go back but we need to save! Its does look cold but I am glad it doesnt look like it rained =) #magicmoments
    Merlinda Little (@pixiedusk) recently posted…A Trip To The SeafrontMy Profile

6. Erica Price November 10, 2014 / 2:24 pm

Loving Z’s coat – I’d like one too. I think Chester Zoo is my favourite zoo, even though we have only been there once. I was really impressed with it – it’s enormous.
    Erica Price recently posted…Remembering My Great UncleMy Profile

7. Sara (@mumturnedmom) November 10, 2014 / 3:37 pm

Looks like a brilliant day out. Love the photos of Z with the map, he was definitely in charge πŸ™‚ Great photos x
    Sara (@mumturnedmom) recently posted…One Hundred YearsMy Profile

8. Mummy Melton November 10, 2014 / 7:18 pm

Love your photos. We’re hoping to go to Chester zoo next year with Baby M. It’s on our to do list #magicmoments
    Mummy Melton recently posted…Baby M – 11 months oldMy Profile

9. Rachel @ The Ordinary Lovely November 10, 2014 / 8:44 pm

It’s such an amazing place, isn’t it, but as I’m forced to go pretty much EVERY WEEK, I’ve almost lost my enthusiasm for it. We have a family pass so spend an awful lot of time there. However, even on the worst days, they still have the best ice cream.

10. Mel November 10, 2014 / 9:38 pm

Looks like a great day out, Well done to you guys for braving the cold (and letting the little one navigate, ha ha!). I love the first photo of Z. Candid shot: perfect! Gorgeous coat, too!

11. Katie @mummydaddyme November 10, 2014 / 10:14 pm

Gorgeous photos Taz, I love the one of the flamingos as I have a little thing about them and the one of Z and his Daddy is gorgeous too! Chester Zoo was one of my favourites when I was little, we always used to go when we visited my grandparents.
    Katie @mummydaddyme recently posted…My Sisters In November.My Profile

12. Lisa from Lisa's Life November 10, 2014 / 10:35 pm

I’ve just finished watching the tv series on catch-up so it’s great to see how it’s faring now…especially the penguins! πŸ™‚ Lovely photos.
    Lisa from Lisa’s Life recently posted…What’s On My Phone?My Profile

13. Hayley @hayleyfromhome November 10, 2014 / 10:45 pm

Your photos are fab as always. I love Chester Zoo but it is definitely a full day out, they do some lovely events around Christmas that I’m hoping we’ll make it to next year. I would quite like a coat like Little Z too, they hood does look very warm!
    Hayley @hayleyfromhome recently posted…Living ArrowsMy Profile

14. Charlotte November 11, 2014 / 12:33 pm

I think we are well overdue a trip to the zoo! I may have to go to Chester just to get one of those monkey things! x
    Charlotte recently posted…Let It GoMy Profile

15. Oana79 November 11, 2014 / 6:53 pm

Oh, we did a zoo visit over the Halloween break too, in Athens, Greece! The little ones’ paradise, isn’t it? I love the pictures, the lovely elephant sculpture in the end and the one with your two men:-), so much happiness! #MagicMoments
    Oana79 recently posted…Magic Moments: Our Halloween break in GreeceMy Profile

16. brummymummyof2 November 11, 2014 / 7:13 pm

Looks fab beaut. I love a zoo in the cold for some reason. It always seems the best time to go! Maybe as it’s not too busy. Glad you had lots of fun x
    brummymummyof2 recently posted…Dear Father Christmas…My Profile

17. Suzanne3childrenandit November 12, 2014 / 8:12 am

What a fabulous set of photographs Tas! We all love the zoo but somehow when it’s cold, it does feel so exposed doesn’t it? I bet Little Z loved it though.
    Suzanne3childrenandit recently posted…What Makes You Feel Alive?My Profile

18. Jenny November 12, 2014 / 9:25 am

Oh what a beautiful family day out. We love chester zoo. I was just saying to Mr P we need to take the kids again we haven’t gone in so long. Looks amazing. Thanks for linking up to Share With Me #sharewithme
    Jenny recently posted…Share With Me ~ wk 41My Profile

19. The Reading Residence November 13, 2014 / 9:48 am

I love Chester Zoo, though we’ve not been since Boo’s 2nd birthday, so we’re due a return visit soon, I think. I do like that little Z thought the animals would respond if he called them like that! x
    The Reading Residence recently posted…I Am The UndertakerMy Profile

20. A Little Lyrical November 13, 2014 / 3:31 pm

I love chester zoo, its a great day out and like you say also good to take some time to visit Cheshire Oaks outlet, I always end up buying loads of children’s clothes there!
    A Little Lyrical recently posted…School already…..what?! Help!My Profile

21. Michelle Reeves (bodfortea) November 14, 2014 / 11:51 am

We often visit Colchester Zoo and it’s always a fun day out – amazing that you can get so close to the Tigers at Chester, the full length window is such a great idea because you can really experience the majesty of these gorgeous creatures. Lovely, lovely post and photos Taz x

22. Mini Travellers November 15, 2014 / 7:56 am

Looks like you had a wonderful day with fab photos. We love chester zoo too and have yearly membership so are there all the time! #countrykids

23. TheBoyandMe November 15, 2014 / 9:57 pm

Wonderful photographs, love that you’ve used your dSLR here because it shows Little and Big Zs off brilliantly. There’s proof that Big Z exists! I’d love to visit Chester Zoo, especially after watching Our Zoo.

Nipping over from Country Kids.
    TheBoyandMe recently posted…Catch A Falling LeafMy Profile

24. Jaime Oliver November 16, 2014 / 2:37 pm

awww honey i adore Chester Zoo, its been nearly 2 years since we last went, it looks like you had fun

thanks for linking up with #MagicMoments
    Jaime Oliver recently posted…Silent Sunday 16/11/14My Profile

25. Attachment Mummy November 16, 2014 / 3:48 pm

Lovely photos, looks like you had a great day, despite the rain! We loved the programme too, will have to try to visit next year. #countrykids

26. Jane November 16, 2014 / 4:20 pm

Great photos, it sounds like you had a great unexpected day out. We never got to watch The Zoo, I really wish we had #CountryKids
    Jane recently posted…Silent SundayMy Profile