Mummy have you got a beard? And other questions from a 3 year old

As Little Z zooms towards turning 4 in less than 2 weeks I can very much already see what the next year is going to bring us. It is mostly going to consist of him questioning everything about his surroundings and correcting us each time we try to distract him with some very made up explanation. It’s started already and it’s like having a mini interrogation each time he opens his mouth to ask what seems like a very innocent sounding question. I think the only thing missing sometimes is the big flashing light in my eyes. I have occasionally been guilty of answering with “Ooh why don’t you ask Daddy?”. This does work, sometimes, but as most of our heart to hearts happen when we’re alone in the car there really is no escape.

Take for instance on one of our drives home:

Little Z: Mummy? Who made the trees?
Ahhh nice easy one…
Me: They grow from little seeds honey, they get all big and tall with lots of water.
Little Z: And who made the seeds?
Me: Well, the seeds come from the trees…
Little Z: But who made the trees??! Me: Ermmm.. Well, it’s like a circle… And..God made the trees.
Sounding satisfied, I could see him pondering something else.

Little Z: Who made the shops?
Me: Lots of people built the shops. They’re called builders.
Little Z: Builders? So God made the trees and people built the shops?
Me: Well….Yes, kind of.
Little Z: Who made the people?
Me: Would you like a Starburst?

After observing his Daddy trimming his beard a few times and whilst rifling through my toiletries bag…

Little Z: Mummy? Do you have a beard?
Feeling a bit horrified..
Me: Errrrmm No? Why?
Little Z: What’s that pink thing? [pointing to my razor].
Me: Ohhhh!!! Well, that’s Daddy’s razor.
Little Z: Shall I give it him back?
Me: Maybe later.

Little Z: Mummy? Why didn’t you take me to your wedding?
Me: Umm..because you weren’t born yet.
Little Z: I wasn’t born yet? Where was I?
Me: You were at nursery that day.
Little Z: I need to go to your wedding.
Me: Ok we’ll go tomorrow?
Little Z: Ok!

So yes, I do believe the 4s is going to be a very interesting year.

1. Seychellesmama December 8, 2014 / 7:20 am

Hahahahha I LOVE this!!! You were at nursery, genius!!
    I’ve taken notes here *starburst can help to avoid difficult questions*

2. AtoZ Mummy December 8, 2014 / 8:18 am

Hahahaha love it!! Our Z is 6 next month and I would like to take the opportunity to reassure you that… THE QUESTIONS NEVER STOP!!!! My standard line is now “let’s Google that”. I swear Z thinks I’m a dunce and always asks why I didn’t learn it at school!
    This post really made me smile today, thank you x

3. Jollyjillys December 8, 2014 / 8:30 am

Lol lol mouth of babes’s lol. My daughter used to ask all sorts of questions . I came up some really stupid answers but I had to think on my feet lol
    Jollyjillys recently posted…Magic Moments : cats and love!My Profile

4. Coombe Mill December 8, 2014 / 8:48 am

I believe sometimes diffusing the questions with Starburst really is the only way to go. Only kids could come up with some of the questions I’ve been asked over the years. Popping by from Magic Moments.
    Coombe Mill recently posted…Because Customer Service Matters.My Profile

5. Louise December 8, 2014 / 9:49 am

Lol, love the questions that children come out with! Love your answers and Starburst distraction techniques πŸ™‚
    Louise recently posted…Christmas chez CameronMy Profile

6. The Reading Residence December 8, 2014 / 10:43 am

I do love the things that they come out with – always entertaining! You have a beard, right?! x
    The Reading Residence recently posted…Me and My GirlMy Profile

7. Nikki Thomas December 8, 2014 / 12:04 pm

Ha ha ha that did make me smile. Bless him. I love your diversionary tactic of offering a Starburst, great plan! Just think of the wonderful blog posts you will be able to write over the next year.
    Nikki Thomas recently posted…Present Idea; Photo Cushion from Photo PandaMy Profile

8. Mummy Melton December 8, 2014 / 1:34 pm

Hahaha brilliant. We’ve got this to look forward to! Taking notes πŸ˜‰ #magicmoments
    Mummy Melton recently posted…The first haircutMy Profile

9. older mum in a muddle December 8, 2014 / 7:35 pm

These made me laugh! Honestly, you’re on a hiding to nothing with these questions – and they start figuring out things so quickly at this age. Welcome to the fourties! I hope Little Z has a lovely birthday!

Have a lovely festive period and holiday and I’ll see you again in the New Year! X
    older mum in a muddle recently posted…PerpetuationMy Profile

10. Lina December 8, 2014 / 9:08 pm

I love this age! Their little questions can be so funny, if a little awkward sometimes!!
    Lina recently posted…The School BearMy Profile

11. Sara (@mumturnedmom) December 8, 2014 / 9:57 pm

I have been known to resort to Starburst πŸ™‚ This is spot on, the wee girl is just starting to ask ‘how’, last night it was ‘how make it?’ the it being coffee?! She’s already got why sorted, and I am already being defeated and saying ‘because’! As the how’s start, I can see the next year of impossible questions beginning…
    Sara (@mumturnedmom) recently posted…Expat: unpacking our ChristmasMy Profile

12. Sarah MumofThree World December 9, 2014 / 6:37 am

Oh my goodness, those sound like hard questions to answer! I think offering a Starburst was definitely the best way out! The question of where they were before they were born is a really difficult and I remember my kids getting quite upset at the thought they just didn’t exist!
    Even now I refer my kids to Daddy sometimes when their questions flummox me!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…β€˜Does Santa do 3 for 2?’My Profile

13. Hayley @hayleyfromhome December 9, 2014 / 9:49 pm

Haha, you sound like you are getting pretty good at answering these questions! I love how some answers seem more acceptable to him than others!
    Hayley @hayleyfromhome recently posted…A Little Bit LatelyMy Profile

14. brummymummyof2 December 10, 2014 / 6:58 am

My favourite ever was Mummy won’t don’t Monkeys wear shoes? Such a good question! And the more explained it the more she just looked at me baffled. I can’t believe they have grown up so so fast. SOB! x
    brummymummyof2 recently posted…Kids Birthday Parties: The Dream V The RealityMy Profile

15. Louisa December 10, 2014 / 2:34 pm

We are in the same place. It is by turns baffling and comical.
    “Mommy have you got a baby in your tummy?”
    “No”
    “Is it a pie?”
    Out of the mouth of babes!

16. Suzanne3childrenandit December 10, 2014 / 5:11 pm

Glad to see Little Z is still keeping you on your toes πŸ˜‰ One very inquisitive little boy you’ve got there! x
    Suzanne3childrenandit recently posted…Can I Get Snapchat?My Profile

17. Emma T December 10, 2014 / 8:27 pm

OMG, Little Z is N! There’s about 4 weeks between them in age, and we’re getting all the questions now…mostly about where he was years ago when we got married, were children, granny was a child. Just nuts. I’m running out of ways to explain that he wasn’t in my tummy at that stage because I hadn’t met Daddy yet. So funny how they don’t grasp this at all.
    Emma T recently posted…How to make beaded Christmas tree conesMy Profile

18. Rachel @ The Ordinary Lovely December 11, 2014 / 7:19 pm

Ha! I think you have far worse to come. The questions we get asked are absolutely mind blowing. ‘When will I die?’ and ‘can I have my brother’s toy when he dies?’ have been this week’s treats πŸ™‚

19. Loving life with little ones December 12, 2014 / 10:37 pm

I do love the things children say, I am expecting my third child and a friends almost 5 year old daughter said to me the other day, ‘when it is time for your baby to come will you go and jump on the trampoline until it falls out?’ now i don’t think I should try that one!! #sharewithme
    Loving life with little ones recently posted…How much do we stifle our children’s creativity?My Profile

20. Julie December 13, 2014 / 11:18 am

These are brilliant! One of my favourites was when I was pregnant with my youngest and his older brother looked as me as I ate my Cherrios and said, “Do the Cherrio’s fall on the baby?” That opened a whole can of worms!
    Your “have a Starburst” is so much better than “just because”. Just because never works.
    Now mine are older we have more “what if our life is just someone else’s PS game?” and “What is the whole point of life?” Real beauties!
    Julie recently posted…Bakers Twine Effect CrochetMy Profile

21. Mummytries December 13, 2014 / 6:45 pm

Little Z is funny dude isn’t he! Kids are fascinated by the idea that big things happened before they were born…my girls are the same
    Mummytries recently posted…Feeling Like A FailureMy Profile

22. jenny December 13, 2014 / 7:36 pm

Brilliant and so funny. I love that you offered a starburst to get out of that one. I need to learn that one quick! Hilarious don’t they leave us speechless sometimes? Thanks for lining up to Share With Me Happy Holidays #sharewithme
    jenny recently posted…Christmas BoutiquesMy Profile

23. Spidermummy December 15, 2014 / 8:17 pm

Hhaaahhaha This is very familiar! I have actually started occasionally to just say ‘I don’t know’ when I’m at my wits end with it! Or often ‘It’s just magic’ which seems to end any line of questioning!!
    Spidermummy recently posted…The Truth About Being a Midwife..My Profile