What time is it? Time According to a 4 year old

We have all been partying with viral bugs in our house for the past few days and there has been couch time and movies aplenty. There’s been not so much eating properly and even less looking presentable. It looks like we may have turned a corner today for the better but time will tell. As luck would have it, Little Z’s clock toy arrived perfectly for the bug filled weekend.

For some time now Little Z has been interested in time and loves putting his little Minion and Mickey Mouse watch next to Daddies at night before bed. He will also tell us the time whether or not we ask. It is regularly “50 o’clock” and “Half past 14”. He also has the ability to tell time just by glancing at his bare wrist with no clocks in his little vicinity.

We spent the weekend learning about the big hand and the little hand. And its been an “O’clock!” for most of the weekend. There’s still been the odd few 50 o’clocks and I think that will remain the best time ever but at least we’ve now learnt that other times are also available.

I now get asked approximately 30 times a day about what time it is. And there is a fair bit of wondrous confusion about the concept of time, questions I didn’t anticipate that I should have, such as:

“What time is it Mummy?”
“Its 10 o’clock”
“But you said it was 9 o’clock before!!”
“Umm, Well, Time keeps moving on”
“Where does it go?”
“It …err…finishes and another time comes”
“Why does it finish?”Its still 9 o’clock!”
“Umm…Yes…its 9 o’clock”

Bit Later “What time is it mummy?”
“It’s 11 o’clock”
“You said it was 10 o’clock”

You get the picture…

So as we open a can of worms we may allow it to be any time he wants for a while. Whilst we figure out where time does actually go!

IMG_3990.JPG

1. Nikki Thomas January 27, 2015 / 5:45 am

Oh no I’m sorry to hear that you have been poorly. We have had a virus here too and it has been horrible but nice to have bit of sofa time. Time is a very interesting thing for small people. A went through this phase too and she still often asks what the time is even though she doesn’t really have a clue what it is all about.
    Nikki Thomas recently posted…Living Arrows Week FourMy Profile

2. Sarah MumofThree World January 27, 2015 / 7:35 am

Bless him, I like the sound of 50 o’clock! Time is definitely a very confusing concept – it’s hard for small people to get their heads round.
    I hope you are all better now. X
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Teenage spotsMy Profile

3. Erica Price January 27, 2015 / 10:31 am

Time is very difficult for them to understand. My sister in law is a reception teacher and she said that is one of the most important things a parent can teach a child: an awareness of time. They do gradually get the hang of it, but it is a hard slog.
    Erica Price recently posted…Copper Music Medal ExamMy Profile

4. Rachel @ The Ordinary Lovely January 27, 2015 / 9:01 pm

The pain! The pain! J is obsessed with time and constantly asks what time it is. I wouldn’t mind so much but he always argues that it’s a different time. This passing on knowledge thing’s not always easy, it is?!

5. Lucie Aiston January 28, 2015 / 4:17 pm

Sorry to hear you’ve been poorly! Hope all is better now! Had to chuckle at the 30 times of “Whats the time?” I remember all this so well xx Linking up with Share With Me xx
    Lucie Aiston recently posted…Another battle underway….My Profile

6. Crystal January 28, 2015 / 9:01 pm

My five year old is driving me crazy in a similar way . I can’t wai until her birthday just so she will quit asking how long it is until her birthday! #sharewithme

7. Merlinda Little (@pixiedusk) January 29, 2015 / 10:58 am

Goodness? Where did time go? When my son would ask me that I wouldnt know what to say! *panicmode* #sharewithme
    Merlinda Little (@pixiedusk) recently posted…Level Up!My Profile

8. Jenny January 29, 2015 / 8:38 pm

That clock looks ace. I will have to get Buba one. He is always asking questions like these and I am stumped how to explain them to him half the time. Glad I am not alone. lol Thank you ever so much for linking up to Share With Me. #sharewithme
    Jenny recently posted…Fruit Puff Pastry Tart RecipeMy Profile

9. Jess @ Along Came Cherry January 31, 2015 / 6:21 pm

That clock looks great! We’ve just bought Cherry a game to learn the time and she’s obsessed, Mr C has to play it with her all the time as I told her it’s a ‘game for daddy’! Not that it’s helping her to learn the time 😉 Love the new blog design! x
    Jess @ Along Came Cherry recently posted…City Celebration Cardboard SceneMy Profile