A Trip to London – With a Four Year Old

We booked an impromptu trip to London last week that coincided with a work trip. We didn’t really have much planned besides meeting up with friends, but London is always a lot of fun and about 2 years since we’ve taken Little Z into the centre so we knew it would all be very new to him. I always realise I miss London as soon as I arrive. Going from weekly visits to annual visits is a bit different and obviously means you have to prioritise what you’ve going to do when you’re there. Little Z was a bit disappointed there was no plane journey involved and it took us a bit of time to explain that there were mainly differently types of holidays. He now knows the words “road trip”.

We found ourselves at the science museum and wandered about for a bit in the mental heaving half term crowd. It’s probably definitely better on claustrophobic nerves to go on a non-school holiday. Little Z and my friends son seemed to have a brilliant time though playing with all the interactive bits and mainly dashing about the big computer hall. Despite working with IT kit on a daily basis I found myself ooh-ing and ahh-ing over aged devices and snapping away on my iPhone. Its definitely my favourite bit of the whole place.

It was only right we followed our hard work at the museum up with a very very long lunch with one of my best friends as well as hours of too much chatting. We’ve been friends since we were about 5 or 6ish and its strange to watch our sons together, to see that we were roughly that age when we first met!

I started the following day with a very nice facial and a gentle lecture from the therapist about I should really really use eye cream. Uh oh. Does this mean I’m officially old? She looked slightly shocked when I said I used absolutely nothing on my eyes. I could see her steadying herself holding the massage table. She will be glad to know I had now ordered eye cream. I will use it every day. And rejuvenate the delicate skin under my eyes. Every day. Honest.

With that we made our way to the Disney cafe after a helpful little tip from a lovely Twitterer and oh how she was right. Its a little gem tucked away on one of the floors of Harrods that not many people seem to know about. The centrepiece is the Big Ben and Tinkerbell from Peter Pan and all the walls are surrounded by Disney cartoons and characters. Little Z was presented with the Mickey Mouse ears from Fantasia and he even ate a full Mickey Mouse shaped pizza. It’s not the cheapest but not extortionate if you consider you’re paying London prices. The toy hall not far away was a lot of fun with lots of demos and displays. I had to drag both my Z’s out of there a a couple of times.

London 2015 collage

After a bit of deliberating we decided we would finally go on the London eye. Little Z just looked forward to the tube trips for the entire trip and loved the escalators and being lifted down the stairs by his Mummy and Daddy swinging him down holding an arm each. It was lovely to find a kind Londoner giving up their seat for him every single time and he would dive on thinking it was a standard thing and then pretend to sleep like his fellow passengers until it was time to get off. I, on the other hand, was utterly impressed that contactless cards can be used as a ticket. I felt like a very enthusiastic tourist visiting for the very first time. I didn’t take my camera out though to snap it. Much to the husbands relief.

By the time we got to the London eye, after tickets and queuing, it was dark and I wasn’t too sure if it would be as good at night time. I was wrong though, it was so much better. The way London is lit up at night time is beautiful and the landscape is amazing. The old interspersed with the new and everything still complimenting each other even in its all its busy existence. Its also always nice trying to spot your old workplace from a very great height. Little Z loved the views and I’d recommend it for anyone with a 4 year old and above. It’s tempting to buy a fast track ticket but don’t do it! The normal queues move very quickly and are a lot shorter than they look. You also get on the eye with just as much speed. (I also heard its buy one get one free if you buy them online and can present a national rail ticket. As we drove it didn’t apply to us but well worth checking out. Google is your friend).

thames

st pauls london

london science museum

london eye2

London Eye

london eye 2

big ben

As with all mini breaks, the weekend went by way too quickly but we have agreed not to leave it so long next time. Little Z experienced his first lot of blues about 5 minutes after we left the hotel declaring he didn’t want to go home and wanted to go on another holiday. He has decided our next destination should be Manchester. Mainly as I think that’s the only one he can name.

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

1. Lystra Maisey March 2, 2015 / 7:44 am

Hello there, I really enjoyed reading this-we have taken our little one to the Science Museum quite a few times and he can’t get enough of it, even though at the moment we still only really do the downstairs bit with the water table! So glad you had a great break x #magicmoments
    Lystra Maisey recently posted…Chapter 60-Flowers in the RainMy Profile

2. Jollyjillys March 2, 2015 / 8:11 am

Sounds like you had a fab trip ! I bet you were worn out lol
    Jollyjillys recently posted…Monday blessingsMy Profile

3. Tim March 2, 2015 / 9:46 am

What a great trip – and fantastic photos from the Eye. Funnily enough, I’ve done the eye four or five times now but never at night, so that’s something to add to the list. The computer hall at the Science Museum is already on the list for the Easter hols. I’d never heard about the Disney cafe though – will definitely have to give that a try!
    Tim recently posted…Our month in photos: February 2015My Profile

4. Rachel @ The Ordinary Lovely March 2, 2015 / 2:17 pm

I love your pictures, Tas! After being down in London last week and realising how easy it is to get there and back, I’m seriously considering braving it with my eldest. Maybe even just for a day. He’s desperate to see the dinosaurs and the Disney cafe could be a fantastic place for lunch.
    Rachel @ The Ordinary Lovely recently posted…Styling the Seasons – MarchMy Profile

5. The Reading Residence March 2, 2015 / 6:11 pm

Looks like you had a great time, and the London Eye at night looks magical. We’re planning to take our two to London for the first time this year, and we’re really looking forward to it as we’ve missed going, too.
    The Reading Residence recently posted…Be The Change, Be KindMy Profile

6. Reneé @ Mummy Tries March 3, 2015 / 12:31 pm

Lovely post hon, sounds an impromptu trip was just what you all needed and you managed to pack a lot in! Gorgeous snap too x
    Reneé @ Mummy Tries recently posted…Today I Choose JoyMy Profile

7. Sarah MumofThree World March 3, 2015 / 3:11 pm

Wow, the views at night really are stunning. Glad Z had such a good time. I didn’t know about that Disney cafe – it sounds fab!
    Enjoy your holiday to Manchester! 😉
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Farewell RoaccutaneMy Profile

8. Seychellesmama March 4, 2015 / 8:59 am

Sounds amazing!! The London eye looks amazing at night time, so beautiful!!
    Disney cafe sounds totally amazing too!
    So pleased you had a lovely time! It’s so sad how these lovely weekends go so fast 🙁 x
    Seychellesmama recently posted…We have moved house!My Profile

9. Sara (@mumturnedmom) March 4, 2015 / 11:29 pm

I love going back to London for a visit, really doesn’t happen often enough now 🙂 That was a great tip on the café in Harrods! Glad you all had such a great time x
    Sara (@mumturnedmom) recently posted…Rewind: first family holidayMy Profile

10. Erica Price March 5, 2015 / 2:55 pm

We keep talking about doing a London trip. Love the sound of the Disney cafe – one to add to the list. Sounds like you had an amazing time.
    Erica Price recently posted…Kokuyo Staple Free StaplerMy Profile

11. Jenny March 6, 2015 / 10:13 am

Wow what a beautiful trip to London with your little one. Love all the photos. I would love to take my two to london someday and explore. been there solo but never as a family. Lovely adventures. Thank you so much for linking up to Share With Me #sharewithme
    Jenny recently posted…Friendships, a game, and startrite shoes #littlelovesMy Profile

12. Susie March 6, 2015 / 1:49 pm

I’ve yet to brave taking my two on a train journey of more than 20 mins so “go you”! Looks like you had a great time
    Susie recently posted…My Ikea Kitchen- what we boughtMy Profile

13. Anna @ Family Roundabout March 6, 2015 / 4:22 pm

I think youre very brave! I write about days out with my kids all the time but I don’t think I’d brave enough to take them to London, even though we used to live there. Love your blog 🙂
    Anna @ Family Roundabout recently posted…WIN A family annual pass for Eureka!My Profile

14. VaiChin @RamblingThroughParenthood March 6, 2015 / 5:51 pm

Never been on the London Eye. Now I see what I have been missing. And thanks for sharing the Disney Cafe. We will be heading there next time we are in London.
    VaiChin @RamblingThroughParenthood recently posted…Mr Strong Costume for World Book DayMy Profile

15. Louise March 6, 2015 / 6:32 pm

Looks like an amazing trip – London is so beautiful at night and love your photos taken from the London Eye. I haven’t been on it in years – you’ve made me very tempted to book a trip again soon! Your eye cream moment reminded me of going to Selfridges to buy some beauty products and the horror on the sales assistant’s face when she asked me what my skin care regime was and I said “erm, I wash my face and sometimes slap some moisturiser on”, lol 🙂
    Louise recently posted…10 signs that you’re a parent bloggerMy Profile

16. HonestMum March 7, 2015 / 12:19 am

What a gorgeous weekend, sorry I’ve not stopped by for a while, I’m so behind on keeping up with everyone’s blogs but I LOVE your new look and it’s fab to reconnect! Adore the tagline! My sons are full time too! xx
    HonestMum recently posted…Always’ #LikeAGirl Video & Tots100 Twitter PartyMy Profile

17. Coombemill March 7, 2015 / 12:01 pm

I have only ever been on the London eye during the day but I think the photos you have here from a night visit are even more stunning, what a wonderful treat for any London trip. Thank you for sharing with me on Country Kids.
    Coombemill recently posted…Country Kids from Coombe MillMy Profile

18. Carolynne @ Mummy Endeavours March 7, 2015 / 11:32 pm

Stunning photo’s, I love the science museum it’s very cool although definitely too busy in school hols! How nice to get a weekend away, AND a facial 🙂 #magicmoments
    Carolynne @ Mummy Endeavours recently posted…Spring at the ParkMy Profile

19. ghostwritermummy March 9, 2015 / 1:51 pm

Wow what awesome photos. We love London too, and although we went loads as a kid, going back as an adult and a parent myself is always an eye opener! Lots of lovely memories 🙂 x x
    ghostwritermummy recently posted…Tuff Spot A-Z: A is for Aquarium!My Profile

20. Emma T March 9, 2015 / 10:21 pm

Amazing views from The Eye in the evening. I’d never think of taking N to London for a weekend, we’d usually do a day, but the Disney cafe is a great tip, and must arrange our next trip soon.