Mauritius – The Safari, Walking with Lions, and the Zoo

If you’ve read our first postcard from Mauritius post you will know that our first few days were eventful with Little Z breaking out in chicken pox and confining us to the beach, lots of paddling about in the ocean and a million sandcastles of all shapes and sizes. Luckily a good few days later they dried up and with no more batches coming out we were ready to join the big Mauritian outdoors and go on Safari and make a visit to the petting zoo.

The Other Half was very excited about going on the Walking with Lions tour. I was slightly less excited at the thought of him being lunch but I was did quite fancy seeing the big turtles and seeing what they had for kids. So off we went to Casela to have a good day out with the animals.

Casela is a massive nature park which house a large number of species and has a lot of fun activities that you can do including ziplining, quad biking, segway-ing to ride around looking at the giraffes and zebras in their natural surroundings, the walking with lions tour, and a petting zoo for kids. I think you could spend the entire day there nipping around doing all the different things. Being pregnant limited my options a fair bit and being a small person, it limited Little Z’s options a bit too. We still had lot of fun working our way round seeing everything. We decided to dot he jeep safari where you’re enclosed in a very secure vehicle and the driver takes you around to see the lions, lionesses, cheetahs and white tigers. Its still a somewhat a bit of a rough ride through all the natural terrain and I needed to hold on tight to both Z and the bump to make sure both were ok. I opted not to do the giraffe and zebra one to give the poor bump a rest. It was so impressive seeing lions close up though. I think I was about a yard away from them most of the time. They mostly ignored the jeep other than to give us a bit of a lazy glance before going back to lying down in the hot afternoon sun.

Lion in Mauritiusa>

href=””>Lioness in Mauritius

Cheetahs In Mauritius

White Tiger in Mauritius

Lion cub Mauritius

I think my most favourite bit about the lions and tiger section was seeing the brand new lion and tiger cubs. The lion cubs were about a a month and a half old and the tiger cub was only 5 weeks old. They are currently being cared for by a specialist team and the poor tiger cub is currently teething so was loving a good chew on all his carers big boots. He is named Tigger and kept giving everyone around him a fierce little mew which was very very cute. Every so often he’d go for a cuddle and a good scratch from one of his carers. The lion cubs are named Serengeti, Ichita and Mambo and were very playful. They succeeded in keeping little Tigger a bit more cheery despite all his teething pains and looked very playful together.

It’s amazing to see the relationship of the lions with their carers. I was waiting for the Other Half to come back from his walk and suddenly saw a pack of lions roar at each other and have a bit of a scuffle. It looked like a bit of a push and shove match was going on. They got louder and one of the carers shouted over like a parent telling his kids to pack it in. They stopped pretty much straight away and then kept glancing back over their shoulder to see if the parent was still about. From what I gathered, they rear some of the pack and return them back to the wild and some will stay on at the nature park. Tigger the tiger cub is the first cub to be born in Mauritius in a very very long time and he was evidently a little bit extra special to them all.

Lion cub 2 Safari Mauritius

Lion Cubs Mauritius

The petting zoo is small but big enough for little children to enjoy a lot. Little Z got to pet a fawn and get up close to a pretty big old and wise looking tortoise. He was very wary about getting too near it but I think its the first time he saw one in so much detail. We chose not to enter the Emu’s den as they looked slightly fierce. I did stand for a while watching a man bravely (or stupidly) enter the pen to see whether the Emus would charge at him. They didn’t charge but they did stomp on over quickly to examine the stranger that was entering their space.

petting farm

turtle climbing

Emu Mauritius

duck mauritius

deer mauritius

Rooster mauritius

Thankfully the Other Half didn’t get eaten for lunch and came back to say the walk with the lions was amazing. It does look very impressive from the 200+ photos he took of the whole thing and there’s even a DVD that we have yet to watch. I think I would maybe possibly try it if I wasn’t pregnant. Next time. Maybe. Oh but then I’d have to look after Z still and I’m happy to sit it out so that the Other Half can have another go. Obviously.

Walk with the lions

Brilliant blog posts on

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

My Travel Monkey

1. Mummy Tries May 18, 2015 / 10:48 am

Oh wow Tas, what an incredible adventure! I did a safari in South Africa and absolutely loved it, can’t wait to take the kids some day #magicmoments
    Mummy Tries recently posted…Why I Put My Life OnlineMy Profile

2. kidGLloves May 18, 2015 / 11:14 am

The Mother says – Lucas has just told me how jealous he is that you got to see all the Cubs. He thinks they’re gorgeous but I’ve certainly fallen in love with the Giant Tortoise; he’s gorgeous πŸ™‚ #whatsthestory
    kidGLloves recently posted…It’s all about the Dad’s…………My Profile

3. Victoria Mylittlel May 18, 2015 / 1:34 pm

we love little lion cubs, i will always cherish those memories, but I was a bit scared of Cheetah as she seems to be on edge)

4. Izzie Anderton May 18, 2015 / 7:30 pm

So happy to hear that Little Z is fully recovered. Casela looks fabulous – loving the cub photos x
    Izzie Anderton recently posted…Across the pondMy Profile

5. Rachel @ The Ordinary Lovely May 18, 2015 / 8:16 pm

Amazing photos, Tas. Gosh, your husband’s brave. No way on earth would I be going on that tour. To be honest, you probably wouldn’t even get me near the cubs and turtles either. I’m a bit scaredy cat. Hope you’ve got over the long flight and jet lag okay xx
    Rachel @ The Ordinary Lovely recently posted…Stay off the roadMy Profile

6. Kriss MacDonald May 18, 2015 / 9:42 pm

I spent all my time scuba diving when I visited Mauritius so only saw underwater wildlife. But that was pre-kids so if we go back I’ll know where to take them!
    Kriss MacDonald recently posted…Siblings – Twins 5 / 15My Profile

7. Sara (@mumturnedmom) May 18, 2015 / 11:57 pm

Oh, those cubs are just gorgeous! Glad to hear that Z got over the dreaded chicken pox and you were able to get out and about a bit x #whatsthestory
    Sara (@mumturnedmom) recently posted…Siblings: May 2015My Profile

8. Sarah MumofThree World May 19, 2015 / 6:45 am

It looks a really lovely place and the photos are beautiful, especially the cubs! Glad your OH enjoyed his walk. It sounds like a very scary thing to do!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…The French exchangeMy Profile

9. Nikki Thomas May 19, 2015 / 6:54 am

What an amazing experience! I love the cubs too, they are so beautiful but such a fantastic thing to be able to see them up close like that. The petting zoo is slightly more exotic than any I have seen before too but it sounds like an amazing day.
    Nikki Thomas recently posted…Signs that you have a teenager in trainingMy Profile

10. Sally May 21, 2015 / 8:15 am

What great photos, the cubs are so cute. Is it wrong I really want a giant tortoise now? Looks like you had a great time #brilliantblogposts
    Sally recently posted…Perfect ParisMy Profile

11. Mummy Fever May 21, 2015 / 12:01 pm

Oh wow – I wouldn’t be able to contain myself if I had seen that tortoise – I LOVE them! #brilliantblogposts
    Mummy Fever recently posted…Dealing with scarsMy Profile

12. Sian May 21, 2015 / 6:28 pm

WOW! What an amazing experience – my kids would love that! The lion cubs are just adorable.

13. Claire May 22, 2015 / 7:55 am

Oh wow this looks a great time, beautiful pictures πŸ™‚ don’t the lion cubs just look so adorable!!

Thanks so much for joining us at the weekend blog hop πŸ™‚
    Claire recently posted…Welcome To The Weekend Blog Hop…My Profile

14. Joanne Dodd May 22, 2015 / 10:40 am

I adore big cats, I am hoping to go and see them in the wild in Africa in the next few years. One day I hope to be working with the majestic beasts.
    Joanne Dodd recently posted…A Life of FreedomMy Profile

15. Mary @ Over 40 and a Mum to One May 23, 2015 / 12:45 pm

Wow, I don’t remember there being a zoo when I visited Mauritius, but that was 21 years ago! I do remember the Botanical Gardens with the giant tortoises though. Hope you had a lovely time #CountryKids
    Mary @ Over 40 and a Mum to One recently posted…Diggerland Kent #CountryKidsMy Profile

16. Hayley (@hayleyfromhome) May 23, 2015 / 4:31 pm

Such amazing photos Tas, looks like an incredible experience! I love the giant tortise, that would have been more my style of animal experience! The lions and tigers do look incredible but I would have been like you and been a little wary. xx
    Hayley (@hayleyfromhome) recently posted…Our School Walk In The SpringMy Profile

17. Penny @onepennytourist May 23, 2015 / 6:38 pm

Oh my gosh, those cubs are so cute *melts* – what fantastic memories.

As a kid (maybe 7 or so) I remember going to a zoo and they allowed you to very briefly hold a cub (not sure they’d allow that these days, hehe), I just remember how teensy they looked but how heavy they were and that they had massive feet, hehe!

Thanks so much for sharing πŸ™‚

Penny @onepennytourist recently posted…A day trip to Whitby in North YorkshireMy Profile

18. Jane - Our Little Escapades May 23, 2015 / 8:28 pm

A walk with lions! That sounds amazing, it’s a shame you have to juggle things when you have little ones and a bump in tow. This really does sound like an amazing place to visit. I’m putting it on my ‘when I win the lottery’ list ;0) x
    Jane – Our Little Escapades recently posted…Project 365 2015 Week 21 Days 137-143My Profile

19. Pen May 25, 2015 / 10:58 am

Some amazing photos and it sounds like you had a great time. These are fantastic memories for you and your family. xx
    Pen recently posted…Blogging as TherapyMy Profile

20. Wander Mum May 25, 2015 / 3:55 pm

Fabulous pictures! Love the lion cubs. We did a safari in South Africa and loved it. We went to Mauritius for part of our honeymoon so is a special place for us. Had no idea they had anything like this though. Looks great for kids too. We’ll have to go back #mondayescapes

21. Packing my Suitcase May 26, 2015 / 11:02 am

Hi Tas!! Thank you for joining in our Monday Escapes!
    I have to say that I had a lot of fun reading this post. First of all I had no idea you could do a safari like this in Mauritius, now I just moved this place to the top of my bucket list. I am crazy to see the lions, especially the babies! Second, I loved your pictures! And you have done a lot even with your baby bump.. how cute!

Happy to have visited your blog for the first time πŸ˜€ I will surely be back for more!!
    Happy travels to you and your family!
    Packing my Suitcase recently posted…Monday Escapes #1My Profile

22. Natasha June 9, 2015 / 10:07 pm

Those are amazing pictures…it looks like such an adventure. I’ve always wanted to go to Mauritius but since having S, I’ve wondered how child friendly it is. I’m really tempted now! πŸ™‚