It’s our wedding anniversary this weekend and it got me thinking about how our celebrations have changed so much over the years.    We spent pushing a trolley around IKEA and I really could not have been happier.   I’m pretty sure I have gone completely nuts in my quest to nest pre-baby and all I wanted was to buy a million different types of storage solutions.  To create space, space, lots and LOTS of SPACE.  After about three hours I happily walked out clutching boxes of all shapes and sizes, new dishes, new cutlery and other pretty things I absolutely needed.  As my friend put it quite succinctly, I’d been IKEA’d.   It’s probably why we only visit once every few years.

I think I am half ready for the baby to come now.  I need to now organise it all and deep clean the kitchen.  And buy a car seat.  And some cute baby stuff.  THEN the baby can come.

Anniversaries in the past have been spent with surprise trips to the theatre, overnight stays in lovely hotels and city breaks with wonderful sights.  This year I have loved just sitting on the couch, all of us.  Me watching them eat cinnamon buns as I can’t have any.  Damn diabetes.  I’m not sure if this means I’m now old but I’d gladly put some slippers on too if it was cold enough.

Who knew we’d be here a few years on, preparing for the arrival of another baby.  Or indeed being parents to a little boy who never ever stops talking, or running, or bouncing about.  We only have weeks left as a family of 3 which is a slightly surreal thought.  The new baby does constantly reminds us of its imminent arrival by kicking away all day long and the weeks seem to be flying by.  I know the due date will be here tomorrow, in a flash.
Little Z has been a bit confused about the whole concept of anniversaries. “Is it your birthday mummy?” was asked when he saw the card and present, as well as “why did I not come to your wedding??”. He now thinks anniversaries are when everyone should get married and he has picked his Daddy to get married to. Not me. Huh!

TheBoyandMe's 365 Linky

1. Sarah MumofThree World July 4, 2015 / 9:15 pm

What a lovely post. It sounds like a perfect anniversary. I’m so glad you’ve got all your storage solutions sorted, you will be ready for baby before you know it! 🙂
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Project 365 2015 Week 27My Profile

2. Jane - Our Little Escapades July 4, 2015 / 9:22 pm

Happy Anniversary! I don’t think we have ever really celebrated one of ours, I really want to celebrate our 10th but not sure if we will have the money to do what we want to do. I can’t believe it’s not that long till your new bundle arrives. Being a four is fantastic x x x
    Jane – Our Little Escapades recently posted…Project 365 2015 Week 27 Days 179-185My Profile

3. 76sunflowers July 4, 2015 / 10:24 pm

OOOh the curse of Ikea – Always end up with tea lights and daim bars! Love your post and how exciting to soon become a family of four 🙂
    76sunflowers recently posted…Project 365 2015 #27My Profile

4. Sara | mumturnedmom July 5, 2015 / 1:28 am

This post made me smile, our anniversaries have become more and more like this as the years have gone on, we celebrate pd out tenth about a week late! Yours sounds pretty good to me 🙂
    Sara | mumturnedmom recently posted…Silent Sunday: 5 July 2015My Profile

5. jenny paulin July 5, 2015 / 6:54 am

awww happy anniversary and this years celebration sounds rather wonderful to me and as you say, very diffrent to previous ones.
    it will be mine and Jon’s 10 years of being unmarried this year and i would love to be taken away as we have never done so sonce we have been together, but i expect it will be another 10 years until we do xx
    jenny paulin recently posted…Crispy Sweet Chilli ChickenMy Profile

6. Erica Price July 5, 2015 / 8:43 am

Glad that you are getting the house the way you wanted. We didn’t do much for ours this year either. Difficult to find the time and the energy sometimes.
    Erica Price recently posted…Week 27 of 2015My Profile

7. Iona@redpeffer July 5, 2015 / 9:02 am

Love that he wants to marry his Daddy! Congratulations and I think this year’s celebrations sound perfect x
    Iona@redpeffer recently posted…My Sunday PhotographMy Profile

8. Emma T July 5, 2015 / 8:09 pm

Love Little Z’s interest in weddings and anniversaries. These are also the type of conversations I have with N. He always wants to know where he was, why he wasn’t at our wedding, how long ago, ‘was I in your tummy?’ etc. He doesn’t get the concept of BN (before N!).

Happy anniversary too.
    Emma T recently posted…Project 365 2015 week 27My Profile

9. Neesie July 5, 2015 / 9:48 pm

Ooo.. how exciting getting the nest ready for your new arrival. Good Luck!
    We’ve just celebrated our 36th wedding anniversary… I was obviously a child bride!
    Neesie recently posted…My Sunday PhotoMy Profile

10. A Patchwork Life July 5, 2015 / 11:47 pm

Something soothing about IKEA, I find anyway, though maybe not so much for my husband who can only be lured there with the promise of Swedish meatballs. Lovely post, such an exciting time!
    A Patchwork Life recently posted…Red Balloon – Sunday pictureMy Profile

11. The Reading Residence July 6, 2015 / 12:22 pm

Anniversaries are tricky to get your head around when you’re little, I think – my girl’s the same. How thing do change over time. My husband and I talk about how our first anniversary was Paris, and nowadays a trip out for a few hours just the two of us would be amazing!! As you say, quite happy with the changes, though 🙂 x
    The Reading Residence recently posted…As Reception Year Ends…My Profile

12. Elaine Livingstone July 6, 2015 / 9:26 pm

Happy Anniversary……sometimes it is nice to take the time to be a couple and celebrate, maybe in a year or two you may get your meal for two again.
    Good luck with family member No4
    Elaine Livingstone recently posted…Project 365 week 27My Profile

13. Merlinda Little (@pixiedusk) July 7, 2015 / 7:05 am

Haha Ikea! My fave store and I love storage boxes. I drool when I see them as we dont have lots of space in the house and my husband just loves to buy things!

Happy anniv! And I am so interested with that ribbon with Chanel logo =P

Merlinda Little (@pixiedusk) recently posted…Water SheepMy Profile

14. Hayley @hayleyfromhome July 8, 2015 / 8:40 pm

Such a sweet post Tas, we are the same and our anniversaries aren’t very exciting anymore but we are happy. My husband won’t let me go to IKEA on my own anymore, it is only 20 mins away from us and so dangerous! It makes me smile to think of you being a family of four 🙂
    Hayley @hayleyfromhome recently posted…La Roche-Posay Anthelios dermo-kids – Sun CreamMy Profile

15. chickenruby July 9, 2015 / 12:27 am

happy Anniversary, all my kids have flown the nest but I still go to Ikea to buy storage