Pregnancy Diary – Week 28

Pregancy Diary Week 28

Week 28 of my pregnancy was scan week so I was rather excited, for once, to be visiting the hospital. These days I’ve noticed I’m spending my mornings in the hospital at least fortnightly, so I’m never that keen on visiting anymore. Little Z, on the other hand, loves it. On the few occasions I’ve taken him he thinks the waiting room is a cinema as it has a big flat screen, and enjoys munching on crisps watching the repeating baby adverts. Everyone else looks fairly miserable sitting about in the small chairs looking uncomfortable but I think he could sit about for at least an hour enjoying it all before he asks when we’re going home.

As Z was such a dinky little 5lb baby I’ve been booked in for a series of growth scans. Throw in the gestational diabetes and the midwives want to make sure the baby doesn’t suddenly get too big or dependent on glucose overload. The sonographer measured the baby for what felt like ages and ages in silence and every so often I’d pipe up to ask if everything looked ok. I was assured that the baby looked fine but they needed even more measurements. So we waited. And waited. And waited. Finally, after about 15 minutes the screen was tilted towards us and we were shown some very impressive baby bits. I’d only seen Little Z at 12 and 20 weeks before and both images were pretty much baby shaped blobs with little fists and legs occasionally kicking and waving about. This time we could see the baby’s bones. We saw its femur in its legs and what looked like a fully developed rib cage. We saw little hands and little feet and were assured everything was fine. I tried to see if I could accidentally spot anything that would give away the gender but it was not meant to be, mainly as I have no sonography scan reading skills. I think we were in awe as we were both speechless for a bit. The only thing you could hear is Little Z whispering to his Daddy “Is it a penguin?”. I think he was impressed, albeit slightly disappointed.

After some plotting on the baby graph we were told the baby is slightly too big. But that everything is ok which is fantastic. There will be more scans through the weeks and more monitoring of my diabetes. That seems to be a challenge all on its own. I’ve found that I’m now starting to learn when my peaks and dips are likely to be through the day and sometimes you think you have it under control, then all of a sudden you just have a bad day for no reason at all. I feel a bit like a little child explaining what I think the high numbers are to the consultant (“I had jam and toast that day”) but he seems happy to let me control it via diet for now as “I can see you’re trying to get them down”. Woo!

Nesting is still very much in progress and we spent a long day in Ikea this weekend buying storage, storage and more beautiful storage. I am loving all the organising of new space during this pregnancy but we still do look like we’ve been burgled upstairs. There really should be a nesting service. Where you just pay someone to come in and sort everything out for you whilst you point to what you want going where, then sit about eating popcorn and watching the magic happen. I think I should start this business. It would obviously make millions!

Alas, as I don’t have time to start that business just before the baby comes I’ve been cleaning out cupboards like I’ve never cleaned before. I hope this second baby loves cleaning as Little Z regularly tells me his arms are tired when I announce its tidy up time! I did discover a mamas and papas box today which contained a whole lot of tiny baby clothes. Very new and packed away carefully a few years ago. I’d completely forgotten about it but obviously had kept them as special little keepsakes. They are all in pristine condition and I’ve decided that it would be lovely to bring home the baby in them. So Baby Number 2 finally has some outfits.

Now to hope we have some newborn vests and other things in the attic!

Maternity Matters~ Ghostwritermummy

Super Busy Mum
Let's Talk Mommy

1. Tom Briggs July 7, 2015 / 8:33 am

Sounds like things are going well and I bet the next few weeks will fly past! We recently discovered a load of baby clothes we’d forgotten about too – result!
    Tom Briggs recently posted…It’s a girl (we think)My Profile

2. Lec @ July 7, 2015 / 11:30 am

Good to hear that it seems to be going well, except for the diabetes. I love the scans when you get to see the baby, though I’m nervous before I go in.
    Lec @ recently posted…Trying to Conceive weeks 0-3My Profile

3. Sarah MumofThree World July 8, 2015 / 9:44 am

What a lovely post. I’m glad the diabetes is under control and you’re learning how to manage it. I hope the baby doesn’t get too big – I don’t think you were designed for a big baby!
    Now why on earth aren’t you having a penguin? That really would be much more fun!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…The Gallery: Where I liveMy Profile

4. Sharisse @ Savvy Sweet Life July 8, 2015 / 8:18 pm

The doctor’s visits with sonograms were my most favorite at all. I loved seeing my baby moving around and all of his tiny features. Oh, I love the idea of a nesting service, haha. Wouldn’t that just be so much easier? 🙂
    Sharisse @ Savvy Sweet Life recently posted…A First Birthday Letter to My SonMy Profile

5. Hayley @hayleyfromhome July 8, 2015 / 8:37 pm

Is it a penguin? Haha, just made me laugh out loud! I’m so glad it’s going well, that is the bonus to extra scans, you get to see so much more as they grow but by the end with the twins we struggled to see who was who! I’m hope the rest of the pregnancy carries on going well and I love the teeny tiny baby clothes, so sweet!
    Hayley @hayleyfromhome recently posted…La Roche-Posay Anthelios dermo-kids – Sun CreamMy Profile

6. Sara | mumturnedmom July 8, 2015 / 11:32 pm

What a lovely update, and I’m glad that you’re managing to control the diabetes so far. Love the penguin comment, how utterly adorable 🙂 #sharewithme
    Sara | mumturnedmom recently posted…Rewind: a last 1st birthdayMy Profile

7. Merlinda Little (@pixiedusk) July 9, 2015 / 1:00 pm

Those clothes are so cute!

Before being pregnant I am so scared of injections but since I have undergone so many medicals exams I just give them my arm and they could take the blood that they want haha.

It has been awhile since I have done something like this so I am sure its going to be scary for me again if ever.

Merlinda Little (@pixiedusk) recently posted…Learning ProcessMy Profile

8. Susan Mann July 9, 2015 / 3:55 pm

Aww bless, love that wee Z thought baby was a penguin. What a cutie. Glad all is well, but i know it’s worrying too. Look at your gorgeous bump. Hugs lovely x
    Susan Mann recently posted…Where I Live – The Gallery 237My Profile

9. Dawn July 10, 2015 / 10:35 am

Another fab update. Hope you are managing ok with the diabeties . Z is such a cutie

10. Carie July 10, 2015 / 8:51 pm

Later scans can be so much fun (once you’ve established the baby’s OK), it’s funny to see so little of the baby at any one time too, when you’re used to seeing all of them at once in the early scans – and I’m delighted to hear that your baby penguin is doing well!
    Carie recently posted…At long last {Miele Cardigan for Baby S)My Profile

11. Sharon Powell July 11, 2015 / 9:10 am

You’re very lucky to have a little one that loves the hospital, I was at one on Thursday and a womens little girl just did not stop screaming! So pleased you’re keeping the diabetes under control, I had it with Harry and it is horrid. I was told all the way through that he was going to be a big baby and he was 6lb when he was born, they scared me for nothing! So pleased it’s all going well for you and I hope it continues to x #MaternityMatters
    Sharon Powell recently posted…Saturday is caption dayMy Profile

12. Amanda July 11, 2015 / 2:53 pm

Glad to hear that everything is going well so far, I can’t imagine the worry about watching your diet with the GD but it sounds like you’re doing well with it at the moment. Love the idea of having a penguin 🙂

Popping over from #MaternityMatters
    Amanda recently posted…Dear Mother – A Love Letter from Me to YouMy Profile

13. Jenny July 13, 2015 / 2:14 am

The next few weeks with absolutely fly by. What a lovely bump update and sounds like you are doing great and things are going smoothly. I always get broody on these bump updates. I miss my bump so much. Thank you so much for linking up to Share With Me #sharewithme
    Jenny recently posted…What my Momma taught meMy Profile

14. ghostwritermummy July 18, 2015 / 7:22 am

ah I know the extra growth scans are a pain but it really is lovely to see baby so often isn’t it? I’m glad you’re able to monitor your diabetes through diet too, it must be a worry for you though. It won’t be long before baby is here! This pregnancy seems to be speeding past (for me!).. Thanks so much for linking up to #MaternityMatters x x x
    ghostwritermummy recently posted…My son’s birth storyMy Profile