Learning to eat out with gestational diabetes

Since being told I have gestational diabetes it’s been one long journey of trial and error, learning what my body can and can’t tolerate.   Diabetes can have a mind of its own whenever it’s heart desires.  You can have the most boring mundane repetitive diet day after day and it’ll all be fine one day and spike high the day after.  For what looks like no reason whatsoever.

I’ve learnt my body can tolerate between 20-30g of carbs during breakfast and about the same for lunch.  My evening meals are much more forgiving and that’s the one time I feel like I’ve eaten properly.   I may as well be on a long adapted fast and cutting out all sugar means my body has had to detox itself suddenly.  I think it’s affected my energy levels a bit more with the added third trimester tiredness so any activity with Little Z is involving a lot of sitting down recently.

I am definitely eating the healthiest I’ve done in a very long time but I’ve lost the confidence to eat out, because, how do you know what’s actually being served to you? What I really want to ask is “can you tell me how much sugar and carbs is in this?  Is it diabetic friendly?”.

I’ve learned that having a good protein based meal and then picking a small carb to go with it works really well.  No sauces though.  People seem obsessed with putting in sauces.  Cream based or dark sauces are mostly ok but you can get caught out every once in a while, usually because someone thought it would be a good idea to put some sugar into it. Or they’ve thickened it up with white flour.  Oh and salad.  Lots and lots of fresh salad is good.   Then, if I’m lucky, I can have one bite of cake.

This week is probably the first time in about 8 weeks that I attempted it for lunch, when I’m supposed to have a “light” meal. And I didn’t do too badly!  It didn’t give me the perfect reading afterwards but that’s one more lesson learnt and I probably shouldn’t have got chips, no matter how small the portion.  I did much better at my leaving meal when I opted for the fish with new potatoes at a delicious looking pizza and pasta restaurant.  Calzone has now been added to my post baby food list.

The good news is that it’s only another 6ish weeks to go before they tell me that it’s all magically fixed itself and I can dive face first into a very large cake.  Preferably covered in a tonne of fresh cream.  I would also settle for a profiteroles tower.  Or even a chocolate cake, covered in frosting.  I’m not greedy.

For now though, halloumi on a bed of fried tempura was very delicious too!

(Week 6 of Project 52 and linking up to Sunday Photo)

TheBoyandMe's 365 Linky

1. Jenny Paulin August 15, 2015 / 10:11 pm

i love haloumi so much an this dish looks delish!
    I am loving the image of you in 6-7 weeks devouring your first cake in so long – yum! x
    Jenny Paulin recently posted…Project 365 2015, Week 33My Profile

2. Tim August 16, 2015 / 12:26 am

Ooh, I do love a bit of halloumi (or “squeaky cheese” as our kids are always calling it).

I can sympathise with you. As a type 2, I’m used to minding my carb intake but gestational is far more constraining. 20-30g of carbs for a lunchtime portion is so limiting, so I can understand your concern when eating out. Keep at it, though – not long now and hopefully it will be all have been worthwhile.
    Tim recently posted…My Sunday Photo: Four-squareMy Profile

3. Louise August 16, 2015 / 12:27 am

That does look very yummy although I can see what a challenge it is to try and eat out when you’re trying to keep your sugar/carb intake down. Hope all goes well over the next six weeks.
    Louise recently posted…Silent SundayMy Profile

4. Sarah MumofThree World August 16, 2015 / 6:49 am

I’m glad you’re getting it sussed and that does look like a delicious meal! Hope you get to enjoy a few more meals out before baby is born. I bet that first cake will taste absolutely delicious!

5. Cathy Glynn August 16, 2015 / 7:26 am

It certainly looks very tasty, I hope everything goes well for you, it must be so hard having to adapt your diet, I am useless when it comes to measuring calories etc.
    Cathy Glynn recently posted…My Sunday Photo 16th August 2015My Profile

6. Kara August 16, 2015 / 8:51 am

I remember getting very frustrated that what I ate one day would be fine and not again the next. Not long to go now and you can splurge on a sugary treat!!!
    Kara recently posted…Silent Sunday 16th August 2015My Profile

7. chickenruby August 16, 2015 / 1:11 pm

this most be so frustrating for you, but you appear to be doing well and being positive about it, it’s hard enough being pregnant and having a younger child around without having to watch your diet so closely
    chickenruby recently posted…Week 33 – My Sunday PhotoMy Profile

8. Mummy Tries August 16, 2015 / 7:22 pm

That hallumi looks divine!! I can imagine it’s been really tough going to get your head around, but I’m hoping it’s becoming easier as the days pass. Hugs hon xx
    Mummy Tries recently posted…Some Exciting NewsMy Profile

9. Sara | mumturnedmom August 16, 2015 / 8:40 pm

Oh, I do love halloumi! Glad that you’re doing okay, and not too long now until you can have a huge slice of cake 🙂
    Sara | mumturnedmom recently posted…The Prompt: Week 79My Profile

10. Katie @mummydaddyme August 16, 2015 / 10:41 pm

Hmmmm I love halloumi. And just imagine how lovely that first bit of cake is going to taste! I didn’t drink coke throughout both my pregnancies, mainly cause I drink too much and also as I wanted to see if I could give up, and I asked both times for Mr E to get me one once I was in recovery after my c-section haha! xx
    Katie @mummydaddyme recently posted…{The Ordinary Moments 15} #33 ‘Getting Ready for School’My Profile

11. Galina V August 17, 2015 / 9:51 am

I’m not the biggest fan of halloumi for the rubbery texture. Your meal looks healthy and tasty. My Mum was diagnosed recently with diabetes, and now that she’s coming to stay with us for a few weeks, I’ll have to rethink the way I cook to accommodate her diet.
    Galina V recently posted…Turkey cannonballsMy Profile