One month to go – The last month of pregnancy

Today it’s exactly one month to my due date. Well, technically speaking anyway. I’m not quite sure how we’ve already arrived at this point already.  It’s definitely been a very very different pregnancy from my first and has felt very slow and long at times.  Having only a bite of cake has to be the most acute pain but one that has a worhy outcome for both myself and the baby.  For now I take photos of them and know one bite won’t take me over the edge of my sugar levels.

The aches and pains have been different and I’ve felt more than my age a lot of times.   I move about slowly and my car is my little life saver, keeping me very much mobile and out and about.  I’ve finished nesting and am worryingly glancing at the Other Half every so often as I’m sure he seems to have started with his own version of it.  On the other hand, I could just sneak jobs onto his list.

Yet, somehow, it’s flown by in the blink of an eye and here we are, almost at the end.   Ready to have a baby that surprised us all.

A couple of weeks ago I saw my very lovely and dedicated consultant team.  There’s always 3 of them in the room.  Pouring over the detail of both my hospital notes and all of my diabetic information.   I was a bit nervous about that particular meeting.  It was the one where I had to tell them my decision.  Would I be opting for a natural birth or a c-section?

I’ve been back and forth a lot of times but the little scare a few weeks ago made my decision for me.  It was like watching Zs stats all over again. The same symptoms, same signs, same actions being proposed, same risks.   Saying the words out loud were the simplest things I’d ever done in the end.  I was ready to explain why in a lot of detail.  But no real detail was needed. The consultant asked my reason, simply nodded, understanding why I was choosing what I was, read both sets of history, and wrote down the words “C-Section”.

It means the due date is now ever so slightly volatile but will be at least semi set in stone over the coming week.    Over the next few weeks I’ll then leave work for a whole year, try to pack in more fun activities for Little Z and hopefully wave him off at the school gates for his very first week at school, provided I’m not having the new baby that week.

So this one month to go is going to be very unlike my first pregnancy.  I’m pretty sure I just slept through that one and watched repeats of Friends and Gilmore Girls.  This one month to go will involve as many lie ins as Little Z will allow, countless cinema, cafe and park trips, lots of stuffing our faces with popcorn and all manners of snacks, and generally cramming in fun, just the two of us.   And of course, lots of cheeky naps as I’ll need them.

Before life changes all over again.

(Week 7 of Project 52 and linking up to Sunday Photo)

TheBoyandMe's 365 Linky

1. Dawn August 22, 2015 / 7:37 pm

Wow that’s flown. There are benefits of having a date for babies arrival. Hope you have a restful but fun filled few weeks

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 6:51 pm

Thanks very much Dawn, the date has definitely focussed my mind a bit now,

2. Nikki Thomas August 22, 2015 / 9:29 pm

I still can’t believe it is so close. It has flown by so quickly. I hope you get that week with Z at school, it will be nice for him if his mum is there. It sounds like the c section is the right decision and actually it is quite reassuring to have a date when you have to think about other children too. All of mine were c-sections and as much as it is harder work after while you are recovering, it makes it easier to organise everything. I hope the last four weeks are easier for you.
    Nikki Thomas recently posted…Selfie; Disneyland StyleMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 6:52 pm

Thank you! I got the week with all his half days and so happy about that, it wasn’t looking like I would at first.

3. Kim Carberry August 22, 2015 / 10:26 pm

Oh wow! That has really flown over….Probably not for you though! I hope the last few weeks are Ok for you x
    Kim Carberry recently posted…Project 365 – Week 34My Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 6:52 pm

Thanks Kim. It’s been a lot more achier this time which has felt like long days sometimes but really has flown by too!

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 6:53 pm

The fact that it affects the baby really stops you from going nuts with all the cake πŸ™‚

4. Melody August 23, 2015 / 12:07 am

Aha! Final month- that you feel days are very very long πŸ˜‰ I hope it goes well for you. xx
    Melody recently posted…Science Museum LondonMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 6:54 pm

Its very strange to know the exact date, I think thats why I completely forgot to ask where it is I actually go on the day!

5. Coombemill August 23, 2015 / 12:34 am

How exciting to be in T your last month make the most with little Z And plenty more delicious looking snacks like this
    Coombemill recently posted…Weekly Farm PhotoMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 6:55 pm

Thanks so much Fiona, it feels a bit strange to be on the home stretch now.

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 6:56 pm

Thanks Cathy, we are now squeezing in lots of things before the big day!

6. Katie @mummydaddyme August 23, 2015 / 7:15 am

I can’t believe you are only a month away, it seems like it has gone really fast to me although I am sure it hasn’t to you at times. And now you are on the home stretch. It’s definitely totally different being pregnant with your first than your second. I hope you pack in lots of fun with Z over the next couple of weeks. xx
    Katie @mummydaddyme recently posted…{The Ordinary Moments 15} #34 ‘Feeling Grateful.’My Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 6:57 pm

Its so weird to say its been really long at times but completely flown by too. Thanks Katie, we are now filling our days with little fun trips. Where I can sit too!

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 6:58 pm

Hehe I think I am going to have to be restrained so that I don’t actually dive into the cake!

7. Sarah MumofThree World August 23, 2015 / 7:29 am

What an emotional post. It must feel good to have finally made that decision. I know when my sister made the decision it was a real weight off her mind and it turned out to be far better for her than a natural birth.
    I hope you enjoy these last few weeks and that you get to be there when Z starts school. x
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Silent Sunday 23.8.15My Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 7:00 pm

I think all my posts are rather hormonal right now aren’t they? It really did feel like a huge burden had been lifted and I knew I’d done the right thing.

8. (Mostly) Yummy Mummy August 23, 2015 / 7:57 am

I can’t believe it is this time already for you! It must be such a relief to have made a decision over the c-section and it sounds like you have a really supportive team behind you. Now you can really get on and enjoy these last few weeks! Although in my experience this last stretch always felt the longest of all!
    (Mostly) Yummy Mummy recently posted…Mummy, mama, mum – what’s in a name?My Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 7:02 pm

Thanks Sarah, it felt like a huge relief to finally make the decision and definitely felt right. It does feel a bit long but I’m enjoying the time before we become a family of four.

9. chantelle hazelden August 23, 2015 / 8:03 am

well firstly now I want pudding for breakfast!! secondly lovely words, I’ve never had a csection so I can’t imagine what it is like having an actual date in mind, I suppose like you say you can actually prepare yourself, fingers crossed for lots of sleep x
    chantelle hazelden recently posted…Silent SundayMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 7:03 pm

Thank you, if the baby lets me have about 5 hours sleep a night I will be absolutely over the moon. I know it doesn’t work like that though. Alas!

10. Louise August 23, 2015 / 8:13 am

Oh that cake does look yummy – hope you enjoyed your one bite of it. Sounds like you have made the right decision for you – hope all continues to be well over this last month and that little Z allows you to have a few lie-ins and the odd cheeky nap before your new baby arrives.
    Louise recently posted…Silent SundayMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 7:03 pm

Thank you Louise, I’ve been fortunate enough to sneak a few in so far!

11. Erica Price August 23, 2015 / 8:44 am

Glad they accepted your reasons for the C Section – they must have thought it was a good decision if they didn’t try to persuade you out of it. Cinema and snacks sounds perfect – hope you manage a few naps in the dark of the cinema.
    Erica Price recently posted…Week 33 and 34 of 2015My Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 7:05 pm

Thanks Erica, I think its because they’d been there all the way through which made it so much easier.

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 7:06 pm

Thanks so much V, we are having a few pottering about days which is rather nice. Got a couple of last big things to do then we’re ok I think!

12. Iona@redpeffer August 23, 2015 / 9:01 am

Wow, that seems to have flown by, although maybe not quite so quickly for you perhaps! I do hope you’re getting lotos of rest in, if you can, and I’m glad you’ve got the C-section. I had one for my second son and I have to say it was far less stressful than my first birth. The best bit was holding my baby boy for 45 mins while they stitched me back up-that was something I’ll never forget.
    Iona@redpeffer recently posted…My Sunday PhotographMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 7:07 pm

Ahh the 45 minutes of holding him sounds so wonderful, I hope I get time like that too!

13. Jenny Paulin August 23, 2015 / 10:47 am

wow only one more month to go! how exciting! really pleased for you that the have allowed you to have a c section – must be a big relief for you xx
    Jenny Paulin recently posted…Chocolate Orange ClafoutisMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 7:08 pm

Thanks Jenny, feels like its still not that real but I think the baby does need to come out at some point now πŸ™‚

14. Hannah -- hibabyblog August 23, 2015 / 11:44 am

Wow a month! thats exciting, hope it all goes really smoothly for you πŸ™‚ x
    Hannah — hibabyblog recently posted…My Sunday PhotoMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 7:09 pm

Thank you Hannah, it feels all a bit daunting right now but I am excited too πŸ™‚

15. OneDad3Girls August 23, 2015 / 1:42 pm

Wow that cake looks amazing. I can’t believe it’s just one month to go. I hope it goes smoothly

OneDad3Girls recently posted…#MySundayPhoto – Look UpMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 7:09 pm

Thanks so much Darren, I think sometimes I find myself surprised its flown by so quickly too!

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 7:11 pm

Thanks so much Merlinda, Hope you and S are doing well and enjoying these last few days before school x

16. HelpfulMum August 23, 2015 / 8:59 pm

That really has flown by! Fingers crossed you get some naps when little Z is at school and before you have the baby!
    HelpfulMum recently posted…23.08.15 Silent SundayMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 7:13 pm

Thanks so much Sian, it really does feel like its flown by. Still have a couple of weeks left so I’m going to try not to count down!

17. Rachel @ The Ordinary Lovely August 23, 2015 / 10:03 pm

I had a similar thing with my two. Emergency section with the eldest and then elected with the littlest. You will not believe the difference in the two – both the experience and the recovery. They are poles apart despite it being the same op. I can’t believe it’s just a month to go. I’m so excited for you xx
    Rachel @ The Ordinary Lovely recently posted…Styling the Seasons – AugustMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 7:14 pm

Everyone I’ve met in a similar situation has said that and it makes me feel so much better. I hope its the same for me xx

18. Lisa@intotheglade August 23, 2015 / 10:36 pm

That looks gorgeous, do I spy a Ferro Roche there at all? I hope this last stretch goes ok. I remember thinking the same with my last problematic pregnancy, how slow but how quick the time had gone. Take care x x x
    Lisa@intotheglade recently posted…My Sunday Photo!Β My Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 7:17 pm

You spy right. It also had a layer of chocolate inside it which made it all look pretty decadent. I got to have one spoonful of just the cheesecake bit πŸ™‚

19. Farmerswifeandmummy August 24, 2015 / 7:55 am

Oh you poor thing. I must admit it does seem like you’ve been pregnant for a very long time.
    I still eat cake with meals with my GD but thankfully my cravings were sour so that’s a good thing.
    I hope this last month flies my love and I can’t wait to see the baby yay πŸ™‚
    Farmerswifeandmummy recently posted…#MaternityMondays Week 34My Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 7:18 pm

Thanks so much Emma. I think I’m going to have to curb a lot of my cake obsession after the baby is born but I am definitely having a couple of days where I am going to dive into one πŸ˜‰

20. chickenruby August 24, 2015 / 7:56 am

wishing you all the luck in the world over the next month, this might be a silly question but does it mean when the baby is born you can eat sweet things straight away or do you have to have further testing? does pregnancy diabetes just go away like that?
    chickenruby recently posted…Week 34 – My Sunday PhotoMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 7:19 pm

Yes its such a strange thing isn’t it? I was so unsure I asked my consultant about 3 times through the course of it all and apparently it does instantly rectify itself and I can start eating whatever I want all over again.

21. Mum in Brum August 24, 2015 / 9:09 am

Aw wishing you all the best with the final month and your c-section. It must’ve been so difficult to resist the temptation of sweet treats – especially at this stage in your pregnancy. Well done you. Good luck x
    Mum in Brum recently posted…Home office design inspirationMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 7:36 pm

Thanks so much, I think the end goal is keeping me going for now. I may have to stop myself losing it over cream cake once the baby is here πŸ˜€

22. Backsnbumps August 24, 2015 / 11:31 am

Hope the last month goes as smoothly as possible. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your new arrival. x

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 7:50 pm

Thank you for the comment, I best find my camera charger and charge it up properly!

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 7:44 pm

Thanks Laura, I think Im starting to get excited, I’m mostly just very nervous!

23. Laura August 24, 2015 / 9:51 pm

Ah good luck…it sounds like a great last month plan to me! I have two months to go so can totally empathise with all the plans and emotions (diabetes aside). I hope all goes well and you and little Z have lots of lovely time together before baby arrives. #maternitymondays

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 7:45 pm

Thank you Laura, I hope your pregnancy is all going well and you’re getting plenty of rest too x

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 7:46 pm

Thanks Claire, your link led me onto the new menu at Frankie and Bennys and now I want all of it!

24. Suzanne3childrenandit August 26, 2015 / 10:47 pm

Oh good luck Tas. That last month is really quite special in many ways, isn’t it? I think it’s a time you’ll remember forever with Little Z, so make the most of it. I understand why you’ve gone for a c-section the second time, I did too. In some ways it make it easier – at least you know when it’s going to happen! You recover so much better second time round as well πŸ™‚ x
    Suzanne3childrenandit recently posted…Photo of the Week 34 / ‘Chilling’My Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 7:47 pm

It is, it feels like everything is the same but is about to change in a big way. Very strange kind of feeling!

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 7:48 pm

Thank you πŸ™‚ I don’t think I can quite believe it either!

25. Sarah Christie August 27, 2015 / 11:09 pm

So exciting that baby will be here soon, Diabetes is a pain isn’t it, I hope you are managing it ok and get a rest before the big day x
    Sarah Christie recently posted…My Captured Moment, GrrrrMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 7:54 pm

Thanks so much Carie, I think a tiny bit of bit is in denial that this baby is coming!

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 8:01 pm

Thanks Foz, I’m not quite sure where this years disappeared to but it does really feel like its flown!

26. Sara | mumturnedmom August 29, 2015 / 9:02 pm

After an emergency section with my eldest, I went for electives for the other two. It was such a relief to know I had that date in the diary, and it is such a different experience. It seems to have come round so quickly, so exciting!
    Sara | mumturnedmom recently posted…Summer: a first family camping tripMy Profile

• Notmyyearoff August 30, 2015 / 7:56 pm

Thanks Sara, I love hearing about peoples C section stories (especially if they’ve been positive experiences!)