Starting school and things my 4 year old says

So here we are the weekend before Little Z starts big school. I think it was when we bought his school shoes that it finally hit me what a big milestone we were about to reach and I had visions of the next few years, doing the whole uniform thing, year after year.

I will probably be in disbelief through the whole of his first year in reception and I can’t believe he is ready to go into full time education.  He is really looking forward to it and I am really hoping that his enthusiasm lasts through the next few months and we have a whole new chapter of brilliant adventures.   Our world is going to change quite a lot over this fortnight with new routines and the arrival of the new baby;   a whole new normal.  And Little Z has pretty much taken it in his stride.

He is at the stage now where he is stubborn and a little know it all about pretty much everything as well as a delightful, hilarious, helpful and kind little boy.  Life through the eyes of a 4 year old is pretty interesting and very funny most of the time.  The non stop questions can be exhausting but it is mostly so entertaining to see how the logic of their little world and how it all fits together. If I had to sum up him at 4 years its that they have firm views on life and an endles string of questions that help them form those opinions. And of course the endless Why? Why? Why? Why? Will that ever end?

This is my 4 year old’s world and things he says, at school age:

On seeing a brand new toy on the TV / toy shop window / anywhere:
Z: Can I have that Mummy?
Me: No you have lots of toys
Z: But I love it so MUCH! Please? Please? Please please? Please? Please? [ad infinitum]

On conserving energy:
Z: Will you pass me my cheerios Mummy?
Me: Its right in front of you?
Z: But my arms are SO tired!

On the art of negotiation:
Me: 5 more minutes on the iPad and that’s it
Z: Ok. How about 10 minutes?
Me: Ok, just 10 minutes
Z: How about 4 hours?

On understanding how Spas work:
Z: Mummy who are you talking to on the phone?
Me: To a lady to book a massage
Z: ….[thinking look]…
Z: Are you going to go rub somebody?

On wanting to be very much part of the pregnancy journey:
Z: Do you want to feel my belly Mummy?
Me: Are you ok?
Z: Yeah, its got a penguin in it!
Me: Errr…

On having options:
Z: [Pointing to a picture of a baby in the hospital waiting room] Mummy can we buy that baby?
Me: Our baby is still in the shop, it’ll come soon.
Z: But I like that one!

On confirming hospital procedures:
Z: Is the Doctor going to smash your belly open?
Me: The baby is coming from the shop.
Z: No its not!
Me: Umm…

I hope (and am sure) its going to be a very interesting ride.

(Week 9 of Project 52 and linking up to Sunday Photo)

TheBoyandMe's 365 Linky

1. Nikki Thomas September 5, 2015 / 8:48 pm

Ha ha ha ha, that really made me chuckle! I so remember these sort of conversations with A and she has grown up so much in the last year that I can’t remember she said something like that. Although she did refer to Captain Jack Sparrow as Captain Jack Asparagus which made me chuckle. I hope that Z enjoys his first week and that you manage to relax a little bit while he is there.
    Nikki Thomas recently posted…3 Must-See Places in America for Photography LoversMy Profile

2. Jenny Paulin September 5, 2015 / 10:09 pm

ha ha thats funny i love the shop explanation as to where the baby is coming from. I just hope he does to want you to exchange it or have a refund LOL
    Jenson starts Wednesday too and then i will ave both if mine at school – ruddy hell it flies by Tas. I hope Z enjoys it and i hope you will be ok too xx
    Jenny Paulin recently posted…Project 365 2015 , Week 37My Profile

3. Sarah MumofThree World September 5, 2015 / 10:55 pm

The doctor smashing your belly open sounds very painful!
    You’re certainly going to have a lot of changes over the next couple of weeks, but I’m sure you will both take it in your stride! His shoes are so lovely ๐Ÿ™‚
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Project 365 2015 Week 36My Profile

4. Foz September 5, 2015 / 11:55 pm

Aww hope he has a lovely time at school!

Lol at some of his comments! And the shop explanation. So many new things happening for you at the moment! Hope it all goes well x
    Foz recently posted…Project 356 – Days 242 to 248My Profile

5. Michaela - Two Little Paines September 6, 2015 / 1:27 am

Aww hope he has a great time at school, I can’t believe Scotty is now in Reception and my little madam is starting nursery.

The bit about his arms hurting, that’s Scott’s excuse when I ask him to tidy his toys away! As for how the baby gets out, I have no idea who he’d been talking to but he came to me the other day and told me he was glad he had been cut out of my tummy as he wouldn’t have wanted to come out through my girls bits like babies should!!
    Michaela – Two Little Paines recently posted…My Sunday Photo โ€“ 06/09/15My Profile

6. JOhn Adams September 6, 2015 / 6:16 am

Love the quotes from Z at the end. Hope the transition to reception class goes smoothly. Yes….your routine is going to change massively! Hope also baby’s arrival is an easy one and you adjust well to being an expanded family. #MySundayPhoto
    JOhn Adams recently posted…Babbageโ€™s Difference Engine at the Science MuseumMy Profile

7. Erica Price September 6, 2015 / 7:00 am

Not sure I like Z’s idea of a C-Section. Love the Spa comment – he’s a funny boy. I still can’t believe H is at school 4 years on.
    Erica Price recently posted…Week 36 of 2015My Profile

8. chickenruby September 6, 2015 / 7:01 am

love it and always amazed at where they get these ideas from ‘smashing your baby open’ sounds like getting the sweet packet out of the easter egg
    chickenruby recently posted…Week 36 – My Sunday PhotoMy Profile

9. Sharon Powell September 6, 2015 / 9:17 am

It really does go by fast doesn’t it? So pleased he’s excited about it though, it will help. Haha they do say the funniest things x
    Sharon Powell recently posted…Silent Sundayย My Profile

10. Jane - Our Little Escapades September 6, 2015 / 9:23 am

Love this, it’s a whole new world to me as I have no idea what goes on in my little boys head. I love how you are telling him the baby is coming from the shop and he clearly knows otherwise lol. Good luck for the next couple of weeks, lots of big things going on x
    Jane – Our Little Escapades recently posted…Silent SundayMy Profile

11. Tom Briggs September 6, 2015 / 10:01 am

Love his questions! My younger son seems to think that we’ll be having one of the babies on the Pampers advert and keeps asking if we can have ‘that one’! Sounds like Z is well and truly ready for ‘big school’ – he’ll love it! ๐Ÿ™‚
    Tom Briggs recently posted…Sugar and spice and all things nice?My Profile

12. Emma T September 6, 2015 / 3:09 pm

Love it. this is so N as well (well, apart from the baby bits, although I’m told he did ask my friend how her baby was coming out – a lot easier to explain mine – cut out, and we also joke that N came from Tesco or Sainsbury’s). They are so firm about their beliefs being right, it really makes me laugh.

Good luck Little Z, with your first day.
    Emma T recently posted…My Sunday Photo / Silent SundayMy Profile

13. Rachel In Real Life September 6, 2015 / 3:35 pm

Oh my those things Z came out with made me laugh, Cheeky Chap uses the same excuse if I tell him to get something himself. I hope he settles into school easily. Xx
    Rachel In Real Life recently posted…My Sunday PhotoMy Profile

14. Iona@redpeffer September 6, 2015 / 8:05 pm

Bless him, he shares similar negotiating and toy wanting skills as my son ๐Ÿ™‚ I hope it all goes well for you, will be thinking of you x
    Iona@redpeffer recently posted…My Sunday PhotographMy Profile

15. 76sunflowers September 6, 2015 / 8:16 pm

Haha very funny! I love being in Receptionwitnessing the children’s first day at school – so special! Love the belly smashing doctor – good luck with that!?!? ๐Ÿ˜‰
    76sunflowers recently posted…Project 365 2015 #36My Profile

16. Neesie September 6, 2015 / 8:53 pm

I remember the question stage and also the first day of school for both of my children like it was just yesterday. They are now 30 and 23 years old.
    Treasure each moment and I love the angle of the new shoes ;D
    Neesie recently posted…My Sunday Photo… who lives here?My Profile

17. carol September 6, 2015 / 9:21 pm

What Z says really made me smile. My son is 5 and I have heard most of these and they are still happening. Hope he loves school #mysundayphoto
    carol recently posted…My Sunday PhotoMy Profile

18. Maria @ Suburban Mum September 6, 2015 / 10:47 pm

Aww I hope he has a great time at school. Mine is starting Year 1 tomorrow and I really don’t know where the last year has gone! Love his take on getting baby out of your belly – doesn’t sound so good for you though! #MySundayPhoto
    Maria @ Suburban Mum recently posted…A visit to Warwick CastleMy Profile

19. Laura September 7, 2015 / 9:49 am

Ach bless him – I love the things little ones say. I must try and make note of some of the daft things my niece says; as we are always laughing!
    Hope that penguin has gone …. ha!
    Laura recently posted…#fdbloggersGTK: Get to Know Day Dreaming FoodieMy Profile

20. Ickle Pickle September 7, 2015 / 2:41 pm

Oh so cute – Pickle has some belters at the age of almost-3! Including – ‘Tough!!’ and ‘pleeeease mumma, pleeease!’
    Ickle Pickle recently posted…Britax Evolva Car Seat ReviewMy Profile

21. Ninjacat September 7, 2015 / 8:13 pm

he is such a clever boy he is going to be a teachers dream in reception x
    Ninjacat recently posted…Duck Legs 2 WaysMy Profile

22. Katie @mummydaddyme September 7, 2015 / 8:20 pm

I love these! I hope they don’t smash the baby out! ๐Ÿ˜‰ And I saw his photo on fb, I hope he had a wonderful first day at school. x

23. Melody September 7, 2015 / 10:13 pm

Hahaha Z is so funny. I have to burst out laughing about rubbing somebody and I love the shop explanation too. Ummm my daughter asked if I am from Argos. lol
    Melody recently posted…Can we buy mummy from Argos?My Profile

24. Carie September 7, 2015 / 10:51 pm

Oh I’m not sure what sounds more painful, a doctor smashing your belly or the real answer! Ouch! But what a wonderful imagination, I hope the start of school goes well ๐Ÿ™‚
    Carie recently posted…Living Arrows 2015: 36/52My Profile

25. Sara | mumturnedmom September 11, 2015 / 1:54 am

His comments are just brilliant ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope he’s enjoying school so far. Lots of change coming, but it will definitely be an interesting ride x
    Sara | mumturnedmom recently posted…The Prompt: ChangeMy Profile