This time last year

It feels like a bit of a strange November. This time last year we were going through IVF.  It was a weird, intense kind of time.  The days were literally dark, creeping up to winter.  Each day started very early with different jabs, scans and appointments with the consultant to monitor progress and the next step in the treatment.   The next 3 weeks would bring meetings with the embryologist and IVF specialists.  About 10 days later we would find this cycle didn’t work for us.  A failed attempt at IVF brings with it a whole raft of other feelings. The money spent, the uncertain future, the quandary of whether or not to have another attempt.

By this time last year we’d had enough of the emotional rollercoaster, and whilst we hadn’t given up completely, we did need a break from it all emotionally.  So a trip to Mauritius was booked and a will to try to have a new year, new start, as much as was possible.   That led me to take a completely new role at work, one that looked a bit of a challenge.  In hindsight it may have been the massive distraction that was needed.

The new year would bring the biggest surprise ever for us and, a good few weeks after that I would tell my wonderful boss about how I would need to go on maternity leave around September or October, I wasn’t too sure at that stage.  He nearly fell off his chair.  It was a good year though.  That new challenge I took shaped itself into one of the best places I’d worked in recent times.

We went on our holiday and enjoyed a very sunny and delicious time taking it all in before life changed all over again.  We kept Little Z heavily involved every step of the way, even buying a huge penguin as a present for him from his baby sibling as he’d asked for a penguin almost every single week.

A year on from that time we have another little boy. I’m not sure I’ll ever not think it’s amazing that it happened.  A year on from that time I finally wrote a Thank you email to the consultant and nurse that helped us through it all.  It felt a bit premature to do it whilst I was pregnant.

A year on from that time we’re moving that bloomin penguin about from place to place as Little Z is more fascinated with his little brother than this stuffed bird. A year on from that time things are so different.

TheBoyandMe's 365 Linky

1. Mummy Tries November 28, 2015 / 9:00 pm

I was thinking about this after you commented on my recent post, what a dodgy indeed! So pleased you got everything you wanted in the end lovely xx
    Mummy Tries recently posted…The Game Changer They Call AutismMy Profile

2. Jenny Paulin November 28, 2015 / 10:17 pm

awwww that penguin reminds me of the one Burton had when he was very small 🙂
    what a year it has been Tas for you and your family – and I am so happy that it all worked out so well and you now have 2 healthy and beautiful boys xx
    Jenny Paulin recently posted…Project 365, 2015. Weeks 47 and 48My Profile

3. Susan Mann November 28, 2015 / 11:46 pm

What an amazing year it has been. And I remember how much of an emotional rollercoaster is was for you. You worked so hard and you have two amazing little boys. Lots of love x
    Susan Mann recently posted…Breathing In the Autumn AirMy Profile

4. Sarah MumofThree World November 29, 2015 / 7:02 am

What a beautiful post! It made me quite tearful. It’s amazing how you got pregnant so soon after your failed IVF attempt. It’s crazy to think it’s only a year ago you were going through all of that. What a year!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Silent Sunday 29.11.15My Profile

5. Erica Price November 29, 2015 / 7:58 am

Amazing how things have changed for you this year isn’t it?
    Erica Price recently posted…Week 48 of 2015My Profile

6. Coombe Mill November 29, 2015 / 8:24 am

What a great look back for you, it’s amazing the difference a year makes. Fab post filled with happiness!

7. Sharon Powell November 29, 2015 / 9:28 am

This is a beautiful post. What an amazing year you have had X
    Sharon Powell recently posted…Silent SundayMy Profile

8. Hannah November 29, 2015 / 10:46 am

What a brilliant change to your year, after such a stressful time with the failed IVF, and then falling pregnant when you least expected it! I glad your dreams came true in the end xx
    Hannah recently posted…Balancing TimeMy Profile

9. Suzanne3Childrenandit November 29, 2015 / 1:40 pm

Ah Tas, you will always be grateful and remember those times. Babies are all miracles but when it happens like this? Truly wonderful. I’ve hear of another blogger this week who has encountered the same little miracle post a failed IVF attempt. So amazing. X
    Suzanne3Childrenandit recently posted…Photo of the Week 48 / Throwing off the Shackles My Profile

10. Sara | mumturnedmom December 3, 2015 / 1:45 pm

What a lovely look back over an amazing year. It doesn’t seem like a year ago! I am so glad that you got your happy ending Tas, and reading this post is a lovely start to my day x
    Sara | mumturnedmom recently posted…On change and changing seasonsMy Profile