My nearly 5 year old

Next week Little Z will be the grand old age of 5.  Five.  FIVE!  At the moment he’s my nearly 5 year old and I’m still enjoying the last few days of him being 4.

I’m not quite sure how all those years have flown by so quickly and I’m sure I say it every single year.  I’m also sure I’ll be still saying the same thing when he’s 35, like my mum still does when we happen to meet some long lost relative that tells me the last time they saw me I had two plaits like Wednesday from the Adams family.  Which is nice.

My nearly 5 year old has had quite a year.  The year started with the news of a new baby that would be joining us and he went through the entire journey with us, excited at the prospect of another little one to play with, disappointed at not getting his penguin but eventually settling for a human brother sibling.  He is now a mentor to Baby E, already trying to pass on all the wisdom he has acquired over the last few years.  We wonder whenever Baby E will just follow him about once he gets going, or whether they’ll both just want to constantly whack each other out of annoyance that each other exists. Hopefully it’s the former. And hopefully the wisdom imparted is mostly good.

We decided we would go on our Mauritius holiday after wondering whether it would be a good idea or not.  That discussion lasted about 30 seconds.  It would be our last big holiday before the baby arrived, just the 3 of us.  As luck would have it, Little Z would break out in full blown chicken pox as soon as we landed and we were in quarantine for the first few days with only sunshine, lovely hotel staff, the sea and a vast beach to keep us entertained.  It was perfect.  I know we would have been quite miserable if we’d been at home indoors so this was not a bad alternative at all.  We still managed to cram in everything we wanted to do including a pit stop in Abu Dhabi visiting one of my oldest BFFs.  It was the best trip ever! Until our next one.

We left preschool with a heavy heart this summer. I have probably said this before but I think keyworkers could rule the world.  They are amazing and I think there’s a part of me that still misses them a bit!   He’s taken school completely in his stride though and I can’t believe he is reading after one term, only simple words but still, reading! And writing, and blending, and being in love with his teachers.  There are no “Santa is watching” threats in my house. It’s always “your teacher won’t be happy with that”.  I feel the teeny tiniest bit guilty using that little gem quite often but it does work a treat.   He has made a whole bunch of friends, and one very special one.  They draw each other pictures and then exchange them.  I am sometimes tempted to go through the other little boys bag to see what my son is actually creating.  That would probably be frowned upon though.

There have been tantrums and a huge fresh helping of some angry hormones.  Apparently this is a normal thing for 4 and 5 year olds to go through.  Sometimes it’s funny and sometimes it’s more than a bit exhausting.  I’ve learnt the way to get through it is to keep reminding him it’s ok to be sad and he doesn’t have to be angry.  It works. Sometimes!

He’s gone from being an only child to an older brother that loves his sibling to bits. Having a new brother the same week he started school properly was probably the biggest transition in his life. Throw in not seeing his best friends (my mum and dad) most days anymore, it’s been a huge leap for him. As one of the mums in the playground observed, he’s done well with all of that chucked at him.

I think my nearly 5 year old may enjoy a more stable year next year. With a holiday or two thrown in.  Because everyone needs those!

TheBoyandMe's 365 Linky

1. Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) December 13, 2015 / 12:11 am

Hope Little Z has a wonderful birthday next week – sounds like it has really been quite a year for him and glad being in Mauritius helped to make things more fun with chicken pox. Sounds like Little Z is doing really well in school too and enjoying being a big brother – love that first photo of him and Little E together – the way they are looking at each other is just adorable.
    Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) recently posted…Silent SundayMy Profile

2. Emma T December 13, 2015 / 12:19 am

Aw, he’s growing up. Hope he has a great birthday and continues to impart those words of wisdom to Little E
    Emma T recently posted…My Sunday Photo – steam trainMy Profile

3. Coombemill December 13, 2015 / 12:29 am

I love the way they look at each other and what a great big brother z is, I have a great suggestion for that much needed holiday!
    Coombemill recently posted…Farm Snowdrops My Profile

4. Neesie December 13, 2015 / 12:32 am

Oh I adored Mauritius but I’m not sure I’d like chicken pox there.
    Great photos but the one with Z giving Baby E a kiss is priceless,
    Sending Birthday wishes for a great day.
    Neesie recently posted…My Sunday Photo… the Barn OwlMy Profile

5. Sara | mumturnedmom December 13, 2015 / 12:57 am

It has been an eventful year, but it really does sound like he’s taken it all in his stride. I hope he has a wonderful birthday. And, I love the first photo, and the one of Z splashing in the water 🙂
    Sara | mumturnedmom recently posted…Silent Sunday: 13 December 2015My Profile

6. Sarah MumofThree World December 13, 2015 / 6:34 am

What a lovely post and what a year he’s had! It sounds like he’s coped with it all brilliantly and is a fantastic big brother.
    Happy (nearly) birthday Z! x
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Silent Sunday 13.12.15My Profile

7. John Adams December 13, 2015 / 7:00 am

That is indeed a lot for a five year old to go through in a year. Clealry you have a very resilient boy. Testament to the parents’ skills! Happy birthday when the day comes. #MySUndayPhoto
    John Adams recently posted…Experimenting with my new cameraMy Profile

8. Charlotte cooper December 13, 2015 / 7:39 am

Aww happy birthday for next week to your little man . We too have had a new baby join the family this year and little miss start school. It’s amzing how they deal and grow with it all.

9. Nikki Thomas December 13, 2015 / 7:47 am

Oh that first photo is just gorgeous! I think he has done really well and I think kids adapt pretty quickly to the changes. It must be a huge relief that he is enjoying being a big brother, I’m pretty sure there will be wisdom, friendship and a bit of fighting between the two, I think that is normal.
    Nikki Thomas recently posted…Now you are sixMy Profile

10. Izzie Anderton December 14, 2015 / 2:01 pm

Happy 5th Birthday wishes to Little Z for next week. I’m so happy that he’s getting along with his little brother… they are going to be partners in crime before you know it!
    Izzie Anderton recently posted…49 Things I Did Yesterday…My Profile

11. Hayley (@hayleyfromhome) December 16, 2015 / 1:24 pm

It still makes me smile that he wanted a penguin! Ah Happy Birthday Z, what a busy year he has had. I think it’s amazing how school just becomes such a natural part of their lives, after all the worrying we do. It sounds like he is doing amazing Tas, and such lovely photos of him xx
    Hayley (@hayleyfromhome) recently posted…Christmas Gift Giving with #GeorgeSecretSantaMy Profile

12. Rachel @ The Ordinary Lovely December 16, 2015 / 7:49 pm

I hope Z had a fantastic birthday. Well, I’ve seen his smiling face on FB clutching some amazing gifts so I’m pretty sure it was awesome. My two still have a whack each other relationship although we’ve recently seen a glimmer of tolerance. It’s only taken three years 😉
    Rachel @ The Ordinary Lovely recently posted…Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!My Profile

13. Elaine Livingstone December 16, 2015 / 10:14 pm

so glad he has taken to his brother, and hopefully they will get on. Sometimes they can rebel if they feel they are being sent to school cos you have a new baby
    I hope he has a good birthday.

14. The Reading Residence December 17, 2015 / 8:31 pm

What a year! He’s doing brilliantly well, that’s a lot of change to deal with, though all lovely fun changes. I hope Little Z has a fabulous birthday and then you get on to booking a holiday or two 😉 x
    The Reading Residence recently posted…An Open University UpdateMy Profile

15. Naomi December 18, 2015 / 8:58 pm

Such a lovely round up, and great photos! I love the one of them looking at each other… that’s love.
    Naomi recently posted…A letter to my first-born sonMy Profile

16. Charlotte December 19, 2015 / 11:32 am

That first photo is so precious! I often wonder how my two will get along too. Hope he had a wonderful birthday! x
    Charlotte recently posted…Share A Smile – Enid BlytonMy Profile

17. Erica Price December 19, 2015 / 7:38 pm

It’s been a big year for Z. Sounds like he’s taken it all in his stride though.
    Erica Price recently posted…Week 51 of 2015My Profile

18. we3threeblog December 20, 2015 / 8:15 pm

how cute that your mum and dad are Z’s best friends, that is adorable! i think 5 is a lovely age, still young enough to be uber cute but old enough to see more of their personality becoming more defined.

19. chickenruby December 21, 2015 / 6:02 am

I hope your son has a happy birthday and enjoys being 5 as much as he’s loved being 4. So please to hear he adores his baby brother. Our kids turn 17, 21, 24, 27 and 28 in 2016, nth hubby and I just can’t believe we have 4 adult children, we just don’t feel that old
    chickenruby recently posted…My Sunday Photo – Week 51My Profile

20. ghostwritermummy December 22, 2015 / 1:53 pm

Ah what a lovely post. I’m glad he had a lovely birthday x