The nearly 4 month sleep regression

The first time with Z I didn’t realise there was such a thing as the 4 month sleep regression.  He slept so terribly I’m not sure I really saw much difference.  He was my cuckoo clock baby, waking every 2 hours without fail.  I was like a grumpy zombie for months and months.  I never ever slept the same way ever again. In contrast, Baby E has been a huge sleepy blessing.  He doesn’t sleep through but he does do a 5 or 6 hour stretch some nights and it’s bliss. Of course there are are terrible, grumpy, zombie inducing nights too, but this time round, Baby Es 4 month sleep regression isn’t too bad… Just yet.

Maybe it’s that I just don’t sleep the same post Z, or maybe it’s that a 5 hour stretch is an ok block for a couple of days.  Whatever it is, I really hope Baby E doesn’t decide being a jack in the box baby every couple of hours is a fun thing to do.  As he’s now discovered his voice he will shout very happily through the evening which keeps Z wondering about the kind of party E is having downstairs. It’s possible E is looking for his mentor Z in order to observe and take in his antics.  With everyone struggling to get up for anything during these wintery days there’s been some extra early nights this week, which still requires dragging little people out of bed in the mornings.  I think we’d love to be able to spend the whole of January like we did the Christmas holidays, in our pjs, but alas, it seems the year with its new resolutions has already started.  I’ve decided I will rub my eyes, stretch out my arms long and wide, cower and wince at the light and wake up properly in February.

Post linked up to Project 366 / Project 53 and My Sunday Photo. Thanks for reading!

TheBoyandMe's 366 Linky

1. Mummy of Two + 1 January 9, 2016 / 7:57 pm

Lack of sleep is the worst isn’t it, especially with more than one little monkey to look after! Keep telling yourself it does get better! Good luck!
    Mummy of Two + 1 recently posted…A Year in Photos 2016 – Week 1My Profile

2. Karen January 9, 2016 / 8:06 pm

Oh I hope you are getting some more sleep soon, I know how knackering it is! They’re both getting so big though!

3. Katie @mummydaddyme January 9, 2016 / 9:36 pm

That is a gorgeous photo! Glad that E is a better sleeper than Z was. Here’s hoping the sleep regression isn’t ‘too’ bad for you.x

4. Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) January 9, 2016 / 10:40 pm

Oh I quite like the idea of spending January in PJs – wouldn’t that be nice? So glad that E’s sleep regression isn’t too bad and that he is sleeping better than Z did – life is always a little easier when you can grab just a little bit more sleep!
    Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) recently posted…A day out at Uppark HouseMy Profile

5. Foz January 9, 2016 / 10:44 pm

The lack of sleep is one thing I definitely don’t miss! Was such a moody grump for the first few months…in fact for the first year!!

That picture of them both is soooo cute!
    Foz recently posted…Project 366 – Week 1My Profile

6. Rachel In Real Life January 9, 2016 / 10:53 pm

What a lovely photo, I can’t believe how big E is getting! We would also like to spend January in our PJs, it’s such a boring, nothing month isn’t it?!

7. Sara | mumturnedmom January 9, 2016 / 11:34 pm

Broken sleep is such a killer, my little girl has been bad the last week or so (and all three of mine normally sleep soundly!) so I’m a bit of a zombie. Not used to it at all anymore 🙂 Hope the sleep regression isn’t too bad for you. Such a lovely photo of your boys x
    Sara | mumturnedmom recently posted…Sunday Photo: 10 January 2016My Profile

8. Coombemill January 10, 2016 / 12:16 am

Lack of sleep is a killer, I think I remember mine starting to wake at night again around 4 months, possibly a sign it’s time for solids? I could happily by pass January and wake up when the days are drawing out!

9. tracey at Mummyshire January 10, 2016 / 12:31 am

Sleep deprevation can be a killer, especially when you have another to look after during the day, But it does – and will – get easier. Enjoy the good times where you can, and times like in the photos above! xx
    tracey at Mummyshire recently posted…Sunday Photo : 10 January 2015My Profile

10. John Adams January 10, 2016 / 6:08 am

Oh wow, I hadn’t heard of four month sleep regression. Maybe our two never had it?? Nice to here baby E has a mentor! Never thought of it like that before between siblings!
    John Adams recently posted…Breaking wave on Brighton beachMy Profile

11. Erica Price January 10, 2016 / 6:41 am

Well the 4 month sleep regression passed me by with H too for the same reason. I struggled with the lack of sleep over a couple of years. Hope E settles back down soon.
    Erica Price recently posted…Week 1 of 2016: Another YearMy Profile

12. Jenny Paulin January 10, 2016 / 9:00 am

awwww what a gorgeous photo of both your happy boys together, you can see the love they share and the brotherly bond. its lovely to see.
    sorry about the sleep – i didn’t sleep well with either of them for months and months, but i know what you mean about getting use to a good night and then the next it was back to up and down all night! fingers crossed baby E gets back i not his sleeping routine xx
    Jenny Paulin recently posted…Project 366 2016, Week 1My Profile

13. Mary @ Over 40 and a Mum to One January 10, 2016 / 1:31 pm

That seems like a plan, but I’d sleep til March if I had a choice. I was so lucky with Monkey, from 5 months he slept all night and the only interruption has been teething on when he’s got a bad cold. I know I’m very lucky though!
    Mary @ Over 40 and a Mum to One recently posted…Silent Sunday My Sunday Photo 100116My Profile

14. Carolynne @ Mummy Endeavours January 10, 2016 / 2:20 pm

Aww I know what it feels like, none of mine slept well and it can be horrendous at times can’t it! It’s great you’re getting the 5 hours though, how wonderful that must be! I hate waking mine up for school too and wish we could hibernate xx #mysundayphoto
    Carolynne @ Mummy Endeavours recently posted…Week 1 Photo – 2016My Profile

15. Emma T January 10, 2016 / 3:30 pm

It horrible when the routine is broken. I used to find every 3 hours on the dot was fine, but anything changed and I’d be a mess.

Hope the sleep goes back to normal soon.
    Emma T recently posted…My Sunday Photo – scienceMy Profile

16. Bek Dillydrops January 10, 2016 / 4:11 pm

I remember this phase. We just got into a good routine, then no sleep again! I hope that you are able to get some good sleep soon. It does get better as they get older 🙂
    Bek Dillydrops recently posted…My Sunday Photo – Rubber DucksMy Profile

17. Ojo Henley January 10, 2016 / 4:16 pm

I had never heard of the ‘sleep regression’, none of mine ever slept! haha. Love that picture, beautiful children x
    Ojo Henley recently posted…My Sunday PhotoMy Profile

18. Sarah Christie January 10, 2016 / 5:10 pm

I can believe how he is growing, he is adorable. Such a lovely photo, Jack regressed after 8 months I remember feeling so smug that we had cracked it he slept from 7pm till 7 am them bang no sleep for 5 years, I kids you not. I was so strict when Joe came along. We were determined to not go through what we went through with Jack x
    Sarah Christie recently posted…The Sun On A Cold Day, My Sunday PhotoMy Profile

19. Stephanie January 10, 2016 / 5:31 pm

No sleep makes everything sooo hard, I would love to stay in my PJ’s for days!!

20. Brinabird the wee man and the diva January 10, 2016 / 7:50 pm

Handsome chaps. We have a horrible sleeper here. Hope you keep getting good night’s!

21. Melody January 10, 2016 / 10:38 pm

Aaah cuties! I hope you get some good sleep soon. xx

22. Not A Frumpy Mum January 11, 2016 / 9:00 pm

Such a lovely pic of your boys, I’m dreading the lack of sleep. O was actually a really good sleeper generally so feel we’ve been spoils first time round so are in for a rougher ride with the next. xx

23. TheBoyandMe January 11, 2016 / 9:34 pm

I hope his sleep settles back down again soon, but the photo of those two is so gorgeous; you know they’re going to give you hell in the future?

Thanks for linking up.

24. mandi January 13, 2016 / 3:33 pm

Lovely photo, although they don’t look very sleepy! I don’t think I’ve had a full nights sleep since my eldest was born near 18 years ago but I think you sort of get used to it and even five hours seems a lot

25. Hayley (@hayleyfromhome) January 13, 2016 / 9:37 pm

I love this photo of them, such a sweet one. I’m so glad you are getting a good block of sleep, I always felt so much better when we got a good few hours in. When I think of what I used to consider a good nights sleep, 7 hours for me now is amazing! xx
    Hayley (@hayleyfromhome) recently posted…Wild OnesMy Profile

26. Liska @NewMumOnline January 15, 2016 / 1:21 pm

I was hoping to top-up all my sleep ready for newborn’s arrival next week but since New Year’s Eve I have been plagued with late pregnany insomnia. It is scary and horrid. Hoping I too get a good sleeper. 5-6 hour stretches would be lovely. Ironically, with Aaron I never got the late pregnancy insomnia, but DID get the 6 hour stretches but in the early weeks of his arrival my body was too flooded with adrenaline to fully enjoy them. He’d sleep from 8 p.m. till 2 a.m. for example but it’d take me till between 11 and 12 to sleep (no matter how very tired I was) so that 2 a.m. wake up call was very tough. I remember not being able to have afternoon naps either as he was a June baby and it was just too too sunny and bright to do so. Hoping I get blessed with the ability to sleep soon. Love your post and the photo is just beautiful.

Wow that 4 months has gone fast.

Liska @NewMumOnline xx

27. sixdegreesofharmony January 15, 2016 / 2:21 pm

What a gorgeous photo – and there is no incentive to get out of bed when it’s still dark and freezing cold!

28. Helen at Casa Costello January 15, 2016 / 2:31 pm

Oh I didn’t know it was a phenomenon. I just thought we were incredibly unlucky around the 4 month mark, with all 3 girls! Its funny how these little ones completely control both our waking and sleeping moments. You have stunningly beautiful children x
    Helen at Casa Costello recently posted…Speculoos Macarons – Bake of the WeekMy Profile

29. Tori January 16, 2016 / 9:33 am

Spending January in PJs should be the law…bliss!
    Gorgeous photo 🙂

30. Karen Hannah January 17, 2016 / 1:54 pm

What beautiful boys you have. I’m glad you’re not suffering from too much sleep deprivation! I wish I could stay in my pyjamas throughout January too 🙂