The importance of “Us” time

We love going out, whether it be a meal or a trip or just a drive. We are both big foodies you will regularly catch us either talking about food, posting pictures all over Instagram about it, or eating it. We really enjoy taking the boys out too. Before Little E came along, the three of us made the most of our little family trips, discovering new places. Z is a fussy eater so he finds the blandest thing on the menu whilst I try to work my way through it. Looking back over the last year I realised how little the Other Half and I go out by ourselves. I think it may have been once, possibly twice. That’s it! It’s not that we don’t cherish the time alone but we somehow just forgot to go out as a couple. When you like taking your little ones out I think it’s really easy to forget to spend an evening out together as a couple. It’s usually much easier to all sit on the sofa together, snuggled up with popcorn, watching Despicable Me 2 for the 100th time.

Last week, Mamas and Papas asked us if we’d like to go out as a couple, just the two of us, for a nice meal of our choice. A lovely treat from them. I think I may have jumped at the offer in about a nanosecond and we set about trying to decide where we’d like to go. We eventually decided on our favourite restaurants in Manchester, East Z East as we love the food and know the service is always good. Mamas and Papas have a great idea of gifting a babysitting voucher to someone as a present that they can “spend” in the future. There’s also a voucher for a £15 Uber ride.

After worrying about leaving both boys for the first time for a good few hours we headed off for our meal. I’m pretty sure neither little boy was very bothered about being left and both were more interested in having a fun time with Grandma and Grandad!

(Looking a tiny bit excited!)

As it was Saturday night and the night before Valentines day it was all understandably busy and all very pink but the restaurant did a great job of looking after us and both the mocktails and all the food was very nice indeed. We both got a bit carried away taking “a nice picture” of the food but it reminded us we really do need to try to get out together, just us, once in a while. It’s like we’d forgotten how! I think we might start planning our next outing out. I just need to find another nice restaurant to go to!

1. Sarah MumofThree World February 22, 2016 / 9:47 pm

What a lovely thing to do – and that food looks delicious! We don’t get out on our own often enough either. We managed about an hour two nights before Valentine’s Day, but at least I got to eat some lovely Thai food!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Parkrun triumphsMy Profile

2. Becky Cowley February 22, 2016 / 10:45 pm

Those are the faces me & Chris pull if we manage a night out!
    Looks like you had a great time & the food looks yum x
    Becky Cowley recently posted…GrowMy Profile

3. Hayley (@hayleyfromhome) February 23, 2016 / 1:01 pm

Looking at the food is making me hungry! Love your happy faces on this though Tas, you forget sometimes to talk to each other when there is little people around and it is so nice to make time to be together, glad you had a nice night out xx
    Hayley (@hayleyfromhome) recently posted…Down The WoodsMy Profile

4. K.D. Jennings February 24, 2016 / 3:10 pm

I agree, us time is very important! Glad you had a good time and the food looks amazing! xx

5. Suzanne February 24, 2016 / 10:15 pm

This is lovely Tas, you look so excited! I absolutely agree that we put ourselves last too often. Children growing up with a mummy and daddy who love each other and enjoy each other’s company should really be no. 1! Looks like you had a lovely time. x x

6. Not A Frumpy Mum February 25, 2016 / 8:33 pm

I love your faces in the top pic, you look so excited to be out! We’ve been roping in the grandparents for quite a bit of babysitting recently. Trying to make the most of getting a bit of couple time in before the new little one arrives and I turn into a neurotic mum who won’t leave the baby!! xx
    Not A Frumpy Mum recently posted…Mother & Nature Outdoor Maternity Wear ReviewMy Profile

7. Claire February 25, 2016 / 9:33 pm

It is lovely to have a bit of time together isn’t it! Lovely picture of you both. Your food looks great, making me hungry and I have just had dinner 🙂
    Claire recently posted…Recycled Flower Vase : Pot Pourri Holder..My Profile

8. Sarah Christie February 25, 2016 / 9:47 pm

Ah it looks like you had a well deserved evening, it is so hard when they are little isn’t it? Sometimes you have to try so hard to make time for each other. I remember we once booked a romantic night away when the boys were little and ended up having an early meal and early night we were so tired and sleeping through the night was such a luxury x
    Sarah Christie recently posted…Discover The Beauty Of Story Telling BritainMy Profile

9. Laura's Lovely Blog February 27, 2016 / 7:12 pm

Oh I am jealous! I think we have been out once together since our daughter was born and she’s 21 months, we’re not doing so well, although we do have nice times all together – it looks like you have a fabulous and well deserved night out 🙂

10. Natalie March 1, 2016 / 6:48 pm

Oh the food looks delicious! It is so important getting out and spending time together. When we had just Meme finding a babysitter was quite easy now we have two the offers have run dry!! Xx
    Natalie recently posted…A Sister DayMy Profile

11. Tracey Williams March 6, 2016 / 7:42 pm

What a lovely night out and I think it is a great idea for Mamas and Papas to offer a babysitting voucher. I have heard of the restaurant but never visited. The food looks delicious and looks as if you had a fantastic night out together x
    Tracey Williams recently posted…Looking ahead to our stay at the Ikos Olivia ResortMy Profile