The kids in this playground

The kids in this playground rush about and get there in the morning, ready for school to start. Some looking scruffy, like they’ve got dressed in the dark. Some looking immaculate, with an obvious pride in their appearance.  Some will go home after this, some will rush off to work. Same kids, day in, day out.

The kids in this playground stand about waiting for the bell. Some standing aloof from the others, even half a year on. They don’t like to or aren’t very comfortable with the other kids, even now. Some there only because they have to be. Other kids will be drawn to the same crowd every day. There will be rushed conversations about the latest party. Who was invited? Who wasn’t? Why was that particular kid not invited? News spreads like wild fire in the playground. It’s hard to keep some things quiet.

The kids in this playground worry about spellings. Are they doing enough with their own kids? Is it the test today? Everything will be ok, they assure themselves. They’ve made their kids practice.

The kids in this playground eye up the boisterous kid. The one that gets a bit too physical with their own kid.  How to deal with him? The kids worry slightly about pushing and shoving. They know though, he doesn’t mean to. And It’s a lovely class and a lovely school.

The kids in this playground gather their things and their own kids as the bell goes and get into line. Bag, check. Water bottle, check. Wellies, check. Mummy kisses, check. Today is exciting. Today is the school trip.

The kids in this playground let their own kid go into class with a wave goodbye, until 3.30pm when it’s time to pick them up. They leave the school gates with one last backward glance and a silent prayer. “Please God, let my kid have a brilliant time on his very first school trip”.

1. Hayley @hayleyfromhome March 14, 2016 / 1:16 pm

Love this Tas, all very true! I’m usually the kid who looks like I’ve got dressed in the dark 😉

2. Katie @mummydaddyme March 14, 2016 / 2:22 pm

Aw I hope he had a great first school trip- I am not ready for that at all yet! x

3. Tracey Williams March 14, 2016 / 5:14 pm

Lovely post. I am sure he will have a great first trip and be talking about his day non stop (hopefully) x
    Tracey Williams recently posted…Our New PlayroomMy Profile

4. Suzanne March 14, 2016 / 9:50 pm

How did it go? They always seem so very young to be going on a school trip, don’t they? The first one is always the hardest. I but he loved it! x
    Suzanne recently posted…Photo of the Week 11 / FriendshipMy Profile

5. Natalie Ray March 16, 2016 / 6:19 pm

Great post. I totally get this, we all feel like we are back in the playground when we are back in that social situation don’t we? Mine aren’t at school yet, but at all the groups we go to I’m always the one that stays on my own. Luckily my children don’t take after me and they are always in the mix, getting involved with the other children!x
    Natalie Ray recently posted…Prezzybox: Review and competitionMy Profile

6. Emma T March 17, 2016 / 10:10 pm

Hope he had a great time. So exciting for them having a school trip out. N loved his, although he did fall asleep on the coach on the way back like most of the reception kids did!
    Emma T recently posted…Spring forward with children’s film releasesMy Profile

7. chickenruby March 18, 2016 / 9:39 am

Popping over to say, been so busy with work the blogging has had to take a back seat. I stand in my classroom every morning watching ‘my’ kids in the playground, reassuring their mummies and daddies they will be fine and at the end of the day happy to see the kids run to their parents with big smiles to greet them with
    chickenruby recently posted…How social media can damage your children’s lives.My Profile

8. Joanne Homer March 18, 2016 / 2:17 pm

Great post, I can remember my first time back in the playground last year, felt awkward, everyone in their little groups but soon made friends, and then disaster struck this year when my school bully started with her little girl. Enough said!

9. Helen at Casa Costello March 18, 2016 / 8:55 pm

I thought I was the only one who fretted about school trips – 3rd time around it doesn’t get any easier! The one I hate most is the high school trip to Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Hope he had a wonderful day x
    Helen at Casa Costello recently posted…Chocolate Fudge Mini BundtsMy Profile