A sunny day out stuck in time

With the lovely sun finally coming out we decided on an impromptu trip to Knowsley Safari park today.  Armed with a nice mini picnic, it quickly dawned on us that the baby is still going through his screamy phase and can only be strapped into his car seat for a limited amount of time before he starts having a meltdown. Scaring the animals with high pitched screeching, whilst driving through where they live is probably not ideal for any car or wild beast so, at the last minute, we decided to detour to Blackpool.

Blackpool is somewhere our parents used to drag us for years and years growing up.  We would excitedly go whilst we were young and run around the pleasure beach sitting on absolutely everything and posing with the various statues that look about a 100 years old.  We would go a bit more reluctantly when we hit our teens and, like with most teenagers, there came a point where it was just not cool to go to Blackpool (or anywhere!) with your parents anymore.

Now that I have my own little kiddies, I love nothing more than dragging them to that same cheesiness every so often.  The baby really doesn’t care either way but Little Z gets very excited about 2p machines, candy floss and walking on the golden mile.    Everything always looks like it’s stuck in time and takes me straight back to my childhood. Back then we would pile into cars without obligatory car seats and pack huge picnics to enjoy.   I always get the feeling Blackpool tried hard to shake off its kitschy image and then decided to just embrace it all.

I haven’t been to the pleasure beach in more than 15 years and it feels like it’s not changed one bit bar a few new rides.  It has the same rides it’s had for more than 30 years and they’re still going strong.  The same Noah’s ark, the same ghost train, the same Valhalla I’ve still never sat on!  Taking round Little Z made me feel very nostalgic about it all especially when I found the bench that I first took a photo on when I was about 8 years old.  I have the photo somewhere and need to dig it out! Obviously back then I had no inkling I’d be taking another snap on it about 28 years on with my 5 year old.  He refused to sit down on it as it was soaking wet!

TheBoyandMe's 366 Linky

1. Jo Laybourn May 7, 2016 / 10:43 pm

Great pic and lovely to meet you last week Tas! x

2. Tim May 8, 2016 / 12:14 am

It’s funny how much kids embrace the cheesiness and simple pleasures of places like this. Our kids still love Butlins for that very reason.

3. Coombemill May 8, 2016 / 12:17 am

That’s interesting that blackpool hasn’t change to you in 15 years, I don’t think I’ve been for 30 years I wonder if I would see a difference ?
    Coombemill recently posted…Bluebell Woods in Full BloomMy Profile

4. Tracey Williams May 8, 2016 / 12:19 am

Love this picture Tas. I too have fond memories of going to Blackpool when I was younger, and we often take the kids. It’s great to go back in time. I bet you had a lovely day with the warm weather x
    Tracey Williams recently posted…Sunday Photo – A Greek ChurchMy Profile

5. Kim Carberry May 8, 2016 / 1:19 am

Ahh! Lovely photo!
    I remember going to Blackpool as a child. I can’t believe the Noah’s ark is still there. I had an irrational fear of it as a child…lol I used to scream when I went near.
    Kim Carberry recently posted…Hopscotch! #MySundayphotoMy Profile

6. John Adams May 8, 2016 / 6:49 am

Lovely image that will bring back memories I’m sure. What harm does a little nostalgia do from time to time? That said, don’t think I’ve been to Blackpool in 23 years.
    John Adams recently posted…Beachy Head LighthouseMy Profile

7. Erica Price May 8, 2016 / 7:30 am

We love the seaside cheesiness too. Been too long since I last went to Blackpool.
    Erica Price recently posted…Week 18 of 2016My Profile

8. Kara Guppy May 8, 2016 / 10:10 am

I missed out on the Pleasure Beach when we visited Blackpool but it looks so much fun. Lovely to finally meet you at Blog On xx

9. Californian Mum in London May 8, 2016 / 10:57 am

Lovely photo. I’ve never been to Blackpool. But it sounds so British and quaint. I would love to visit one day. #ordinarymoments

10. HodgePodgeDays May 8, 2016 / 3:15 pm

I love this photo. It could be taken any time in the last 40 years for me. It’s like a northern tradition, a trip to Blackpool Pleasure Beach 🙂
    HodgePodgeDays recently posted…My Sunday Photo 8.5.16My Profile

11. Bek May 8, 2016 / 3:16 pm

I’ve not been to Blackpool for years. I have good memories of it though. What a lovely photo. I agree that the 2p machines and candy floss are great!

12. Katie @mummydaddyme May 8, 2016 / 7:27 pm

Love the photo! I have never been to Blackpool but we have lots of similar places down South. I love them, you can’t beat a bit of cheesiness, the 2p slots and fish and chips! It looks like a lovely day. xx

13. LauraCYMFT May 8, 2016 / 7:36 pm

I’ve been to Blackpool a couple of times. It’s a fun day out, especially the 2p machines! Lovely photo.
    LauraCYMFT recently posted…A Simple Hotel Room BreakMy Profile

14. Carie @ Space for the Butterflies May 8, 2016 / 9:02 pm

Oh what a lovely impromptu detour – it’s so much fun to relive your own childhood with the little ones isn’t it – especially when it means going to the beach!
    Carie @ Space for the Butterflies recently posted…Songs that work magicMy Profile

15. Sarah Christie May 8, 2016 / 9:04 pm

I love this Tas, I too have so many happy memories of Blackpool pleasure beach although I do think they have done loads to improve it since I was little, the boys love visiting x
    Sarah Christie recently posted…Flowers And Sunshine, My Sunday PhotoMy Profile

16. Emma T May 8, 2016 / 10:22 pm

Fab pics, and great to be able to bring back memories. I’ve not been to Blackpool in about 12 years when I went for a dance weekender to dance in the Tower. You’re right, the place is seriously cheesy.

17. Merlinda Little (Glimmer of Hope) May 9, 2016 / 1:53 pm

Wow seeing something that long ago and realizing it hadnt change is amazing! The memories rushing back! And now passing that batton to your son haha I wonder if I will see another photo of both of you on that chair in the future! #mysundayphoto
    Merlinda Little (Glimmer of Hope) recently posted…The Right PathMy Profile

18. claire May 9, 2016 / 7:24 pm

Aww, great picture! I love Blackpool, last year was the first time we missed going in years… I love taking my kids, as you I always went when I was younger!!

19. Elaine Livingstone May 9, 2016 / 9:33 pm

Nice photo, will be great to see you as a child on the same bench, and who knows maybe one day you will take a grandchild with you.
    I have never been to Blackpool.
    Elaine Livingstone recently posted…Project 366 week 18My Profile

20. HelpfulMum May 9, 2016 / 10:28 pm

What a lovely photo. We love Blackpool Pleasure Beach, such a great day out.

21. Hayley @hayleyfromhome May 11, 2016 / 9:00 pm

That is such a happy photo!! We never really did Blackpool as kids so it isn’t somewhere I think to take mine. But if you do ever go to Knowsley Safari Park let me know, I live 10 minutes away, you can pop round for a brew 🙂 xx
    Hayley @hayleyfromhome recently posted…As They GrowMy Profile

22. sherry MacKay May 13, 2016 / 1:08 pm

this is a very cute photo. some happy smiles there.